Monday, September 3, 2018

Painting & Papercraft ............ (Catch Up #1)

Greetings dear friends & readers & Welcome to Spring!
My absolute favourite season of them all !!

 Tho' if you could see our weather as I sit here typing this, you would surely be saying "we think Julie, perhaps you may need your head examined just a tad?!"
I have been busy with creative pastimes but have been remiss in my blogging efforts so have decided (again) 
to schedule a series of Catch Up Posts as I did back in July.
Today we have Catch Up # 1 😊

Longtime readers of my blog will know I use the French Doors at the end of my lounge as a little glasshouse to grow my babies tears in front of ... in fact all houseplants do well there.
I have been potting up lots of babies tears in old china containers to sell at my market stall in November ... I am hoping to have them well established by then.

These two wooden book racks/shelves were languishing in my sleepout for a few years quite some time.
I bought them inside last week & gave them a wash & a paint, both with leftover chalk paint. 
The left one I painted in Pale Duck Egg & the right one in Robins Egg.


I found some vintage Cath Kidston wallpaper in my craft wardrobe ... I had purchased this from my friend Catherine's online store last year.
I decided to wallpaper the book racks tho' to be honest, I was none too sure what I was doing.
I found some old wallpaper paste & tried to just use remnants of the vintage wallpaper.
Miss Pippi however, assured me she knew exactly what to do & would "supervise the task from her basket!!"


(Miss Pippi, who has the attention span of a flea, quickly grew bored & had frequent little naps while I toiled away)

In the end I was delighted with the finished results ... I fussy cut some of the leftover flowers & glued them on the backs of the book racks & also odd ones on the outer sides
The "Robins Egg" shade


The "Pale Duck Egg" Shade

Once they were dry I gave them a coat of modpodge to seal the papers & then waxed the rest of the wooden 
chalk painted areas.


My dear friend Sandy had this red wooden stool for quite sometime, but found as she no longer used this colour in her decor,  it was put away out of sight.  
She asked me to paint it for her & had a vision of a "french navy colouring" ... Sandy gave me a handbag of the exact colour she was visualising & I trotted off to my local Resene Colour Shop for a colour chart.


We both agreed on a gorgeous blue shade called "Bunting" ... I am always delighted when I love the names of the colours I am working with, fickle person that I am 😉


Sandy's stool got 3 coats over a period of several days by the fire ... our weather has certainly Not been 
outdoors painting weather!

When Sandy took it home I realised I had forgotten to take an "after" photo so I asked her to please send me some through when she had it in its new place.
Oh My! I was Not disappointed!   It looks stunning as I'm sure you will agree!


I confess I have been casting my eye around my Home to see what I can paint in this gorgeous Bunting shade!



Last Wednesday, while it poured with rain (again!) I sat at my worktable & cut out Tilda paper angels which I had 
had Laser copied onto thin card.
I gave them all doiley dresses & adorned them with lace & flowers ... I strung some sets of 4 up as bunting & then kept some single ... these are destined for my craft stall
I think I will package some up in cellophane bags ... I am hoping they may sell well as otherwise I am going to have alot of paper angels strung around my Home!!


Yesterday morning I drove over to Tirau to meet up with my friend & fellow blogger Sue from the blog Kiwikids
She is over from Australia to visit with her Mum who lives in Tauranga.
Sue & I met up at a lovely local cafe that we have frequented before ... Alley Cats Cafe

We had an enjoyable morning tea & the time whizzed by as it always does when we catch up ... as we were leaving Sue presented me with this gorgeous parcel of goodies - a magazine & some mouth watering fabrics!
Thanks So Much Sue ... I am still drooling over everything, you are So Kind!!

Thank you all So Much for staying with me friends. 
I will be back in a couple of days with Catch Up Post #2 
In the meantime, I will leave you with my two furry friends tucked up on the couch this wild wintery Waikato afternoon!
Cheerio for now & thanks so much for your visits,
With much love & friendship to you all,
Julie & the furry ones x0x0x0

28 comments:

  1. Wow, you have been busy Julie. Everything is fabulous. I have been to Alley Cats a few times too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous creations, I think the blue of the stool is a nice change from red, says me who loves red! The shelves turned out great as did the paper angels. I do think your cats should be put to work they do a lot of laying around don't they! All the watching they do of your creations you think they could be employed? Work for food??
    The goodies Sue gave you look great! Glad you too had a nice catch up & a coffee & sweet treat together. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah! Bless! Wish l could get into and curl up in a basket
    that size...Another photo for my pussy~cat folder....! :).

    Goes without saying Julie..everything you do, turns out
    amazing, how you make something plain and simple, into
    something special..!
    The paper angels are really nice, even on a Christmas
    tree..not far off now..And it's the second day of Autumn
    over here...getting a little colder!
    The book racks look lovely to...And! Fancy taking up poor
    Blackie's place in front the fire to dry a stool, poor little
    chap..HeHe! Bless him!x
    And..Miss Pippi..Bless!x She looks a bit tired, are you sure
    your not giving her to much to do..! :o).

    Well..best get on..nearly 7:30..the bathroom is beckoning...!
    Breakfast, then off to town, always a busy on Monday!
    Oh! And..make sure the stool is the right way up before you
    sit on it Julie...HeHe! Bless! (=ʘᆽʘ=)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me thinks the names of paint hues is of upmost importance! Love that Bunting blue. How gorgeous does that stool look next to that pretty sofa. Your Christmas stall is going to look beyond amazing Julie!! Those dancing doily angels are fabulous...love them. The bookshelves look gorgeous with the Cath Kidston wallpaper and the fussy cut flowers are perfect. I wouldn't mind some shelves like those myself. I just might have to have my husband have a look and he can make me some.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that blue shade too, not too navy and just perfect the perfect colour.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Julie what a lovely post ,wow I love those book racks they are so pretty and the stool looks awesome with those flowers on it,I bet the lady was very happy,hope you have an awesome week my friend xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your shelves look lovely, not to my taste (I must be the only person to say that), but my daughter would love them. The blue on the stool is beautiful, I can understand why you would want to use it again.
    It only seams like yesterday we were enjoying the start of spring, now here in UK the summer is almost over, enjoy your sunshine, look after it and send it back to us next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely comment Marlene. I agree, the stool blue is a beautiful colour! Yes the seasons come & go so quickly don't they? You would hardly believe it is spring here today as we have wild, winds & rain & freezing temps. Xxx

      Delete
  8. I love how Ms P supervises ever so casually from her basket. Those shelves, that stool, Oh my oh my!! Love all the colours you use. Yeah Julie SPRING?? We had hail so hard here today it look like snow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Your artistic skills are pretty fabulous, and isn't it cool to meet up with other bloggers? What a great message with the hugging cats to remind us of special friendships! Hugs...RO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely comment Ro, It sure IS wonderful meeting up with other bloggers - Sue & I had a lovely time together. Happy Week to you Ro, Xxx

      Delete
  10. Spring is my favorite season too. Over here in the U.S. we are just entering Fall which always makes me a little sad. I love the way the shelves turned out. That wallpaper gave them the perfect touch. The stool also came away with a very handsome makeover. It's amazing what a little paint can do. You have some good company with those little kitties. They are so sweet. We have one cat but he is still young and can be feisty at times. I'm looking forward to when he's a little older and more mellow. Blessings sweet friend. ♥
    xx Beca

    ReplyDelete
  11. A post full of pretty projects and the adorable cats - perfection! Thanks for the lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely comment Penny. Those cats manage to sneak into most of my posts I find!

      Delete
  12. It felt like an early Spring for most of July and August here but now the calendar has turned over to September it's cold and rainy! I like your revamped book racks...that blue is just lovely! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You’re welcoming your spring as we welcome our autumn, ready for the change of season. Your friends stool does look quite beautiful in that colour and with her Hydrangeas and I could drool over your wallpapering xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Julie, love all your make overs, I have been ill in bed again, so it was lovely reading your blog. Chris xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi! Love the pale blue book stand and how you have put the wall paper on it! That blue stool turned out gorgeous. How can one resist Miss Pippi! I hope you do well at your craft show. I would like to come but it is a bit too far! Enjoy your visit with your Mom and I hope she feels better soon. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have certainly got the magic touch Julie. Those book shelves are gorgeous as is the blue stool. Your kitties a sheer delight. Look forward to #2

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the way the little bookshelves turned out. My mind would never come up with the ideas yours does to refinish things so nicely.
    The stool looks beautiful sporting its new shade.
    Once again you leave me in awe with your creativity.
    I think your kitties lead a very relaxed life. How would it be? :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Another beautiful post filled with gorgeous creations Julie! I am positive your sweet angels will all find new homes. How lovely to catch up with Sue. Hope you get a break in the weather soon xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Painting and the type of painting we have now are very huge and literally people get confused which to select and how to paint their walls. Today in this vast selection list, we Raa painting works in Chennai are here to help you out to figure out what is the best to select to your house.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The shelves and stool look amazing Julie, you have worked your magic again. I am sure the Tilda fairies will sell no problem. Love how Miss Pippi supervises! I think she knows you know what you are doing so she can doze on the job :-)
    Was wonderful to catch up with you, the time always zips by too fast, very happy you are enjoying your goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Raa Painters was started with an intension to provide the painting service to the customers at the door steps. We all are living in a busy world today and we hardly get time to spend with our family and in this busy schedule if you’re planning to construct a new house or to start a new office.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Raa Painters are the No.1 Exterior Painting Contractors in Chennai is here to give you a high status in the society through Exterior wall painting for your house.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Raa Painters was started with an intension to provide the painting service to the customers at the door steps. We all are living in a busy world today and we hardly get time to spend with our family and in this busy schedule if you’re planning to construct a new house or to start a new office. Do you think you will have time to go to each painter and check if they will you get to the requirements you have. We at Raa painters, the best painting contractors in Chennai are here to help you get the painting done easily from your home.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Raa House Painters in Chennai provides world class wall painters in Chennai who care for your house as they care for their kids. Painting works in Chennai is best done by our wall painter and we give a magical touch to your house and to your life.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Raa painters in Chennai provides world class wall painting that care for your house as they care for their kids, hence we are No.1 Painters in Chennai. Painting works in Chennai is best done by our wall painter and we give a magical touch to your house and to your life. Colors make a change always to our life.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, & thank you for taking the time to comment on my posts - I read and appreciate each and every one of your comments :-)
I always prefer to reply to your comments by email unless you are a no-reply-blogger in which case I will reply to your comments in this section here. Thanks so much for stopping by to read & comment on my blog x0x