Thursday, March 7, 2019

(Not) Collecting Vintage Silverware (!!!)

Thursday Greetings dear friends & readers

A friend called in for lunch late last week on her way travelling North.
While I prepared us some lunch Liz wandered around my house looking at all my junk treasures.


"I really love your vintage silverware collection" Liz commented while we were enjoying lunch
"But I don't collect vintage silverware" I promptly replied
"Oh Julie ... I think maybe you are in denial" said Liz "remember anything more than 3 items Is a collection! 
And You my dear have way more than 3 silverware items"!!
When Liz had left I wandered around the house looking at my junk displays ... perhaps she was right ??

And Yes, I do know it all needs a polish but I quite like the slightly tarnished look of it all



These groups of photos above were taken in my lounge & my bathroom ... I did not even dare go in my bedroom!!

And so it was, that same night, while browsing Pinterest I came across the sweetest little pincushion that 
just happened to be made using vintage silverware

This is the lady - Laurie May - that I must credit with creating the pincushion ...... her flicker pages are just 
beautiful 💗


 I remembered that I had a few pieces of vintage silverware left over in my Cottage from when I closed it a year ago.
This little silver sugar bowl above - almost identical to Laurie Mays bowl - was among my leftover bits.


For my "pattern" I drew a bread & butter plate circle - one in calico, one in a cream crochet doiley

Here is the sugar bowl all polished up, & with the pincushion part inserted - now to create the wee bird
I used a scrap of cream wool blanketing from my stash & fashioned a wee birdie with wings & a tail



Then I affixed my bird to the pincushion before adding some bling - I keep a small bag of old costume jewellery in my craft stash - this is an old brooch
Some mother-of-pearl buttons just finished it off.


I am delighted with my birdie pincushion & shall be finding a nice spot to display it among my non-collection 
of silverware 😉



Last Saturday I had some luck at the Op Shops in my local town
I haven't visited for several months & was delighted to come away with this stash of treasures

There are 7 Op Shops in my small town & these treasures were bought from just two of them - Hospice & St John's 


This beautiful glass pedestal stand above ($10 from St Johns) was just perfect for the new/old pomanders 
I wrote about in my last post


I wanted to display all my pomanders together so this oak petticoat table from my Cottage, was just the ideal size

I had some lovely post this week also - this book had been on Order for several weeks & finally arrived 
in my mail box.

I have been enjoying following along with Jenny of elefantz in her Gentle Domesticity book studies & now I will have my own copy to leaf through




Every morning when I get out of bed, I complain endlessly to The Mr about the cats sleeping on (my side!!) 
of the bed all night!
I tell him I am going to get my own bed in my own room with the door shut tight 😉
This morning, this little funny appeared in my inbox from The Mr alongside a message he wrote telling me "we will follow you Mum, no matter where you go !!"

Thanks so very much for your visits today dear friends,
I hope the week is treating you kindly
Be good & kind to yourselves & to each other,
With much love & friendship,
Julie & the furry ones x0x0x

21 comments:

  1. Ha...ha....yup, WHEREVER you go!!!! Gosh....love, love, covet......your beautiful new pincushion in its new non- collection silverwear!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got a box full of silver in one of the spare
    rooms..they belong to my Mum..she collected it,
    all sorts, teapots, sugar bowls etc..I don't put it
    out on show, as l must be honest, l don't like silver..! :(
    And..it would look out of place in my home, and over the
    years l have given some of it away, as gifts!
    Though l do like the pin cushions Julie! Nice! :).

    HeHe! There's an old joke..that applies to gorillas..
    That states.."Where do pussy~cats sleep"?
    Answer.."Anywhere they want to"! :o). Bless!x

    Well..just gone seven over here, lighter in the mornings
    now..though we've had a lot of rain in~between the showers,
    and more to come..! Market day to~day in town, so a little
    wander down later, coffee and a nose around..!

    (((HUGS))) Pats..Kisses!xx for the furry one Julie...Hope
    their o.k..and being very..very naughty...HeHe! Bless!xx
    : ´*•.¸(*•.¸♥¸.•*´)¸.•*´ : ´*•.¸(*•.¸♥¸.•*´)¸.•*´

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowzier, every time you amaze me with your beautiful creations. I love the cat post at the end, soooooo true, I'm often left with a corner of the covers because if Simon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I a glad I am not the only collector of things from the Op shop and other places! I don't collect silver, however, probably because I can't be bothered polishing it.... ! I do love your collection though, it is very pretty! Love the cat pic at the bottom of you post too :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I need all that silver for my daughters wedding as we are doing her center pieces in old silver and flowers. I have been collecting regularly. So send it on over since you don't even know you collect it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim .... I wish you lived nearby as I would certainly loan you all my silverware for your daughters wedding. Seeing as I don't collect it !! (wink)

      Delete
  6. I have an old silver tray thingy which belonged to my late mother, its handle has to be put back on, I love the tarnished look, and that's the way it stays :-) I have wanted to make that pin cushion to Julie, but never come across the sugar bowls, a friend in Queensland does and offered to get me one, but I thought it will just sit there with everything thing else I want to make😂 Yours looks so sweet. Your Mr is a funny bloke. Have a great week Julie. Chris xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love, love, love your pincushion. It looks fabulous. Love what your Mr sent you, so funny. My new kitty isn't much of a bed cat but come winter she may change her mind. Hugs,xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got giggles out of the beginning and ending of this post. Your oblivion to the fact that you collect silver was very entertaining. Such pretty piece--love the fancy pincushion you crafted.
    You've made a beautiful display of your pomanders.
    The meme and your hubby's note are very cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Every one of your posts are packed with pretty! Yes. Cats love sleeping close. Sweet ones.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so envious of that gorgeous pin cushion....I have it saved from Pinterest! Yours is just beautiful Julie! I love all your opshop treasures and your NON silver collection lol xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am some what concerned now that I have quite a few collections!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi julie and the furbabies! i really love your latest pin cushion. i have collected instructions for different pin cushions and hope to do one someday. your hubby has a good sense of humor. nancy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do love your little bird on the silverware, you did a really great job, especially it's little rosy cheeks, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're such an expert crafter, Julie, probably repeating myself here but your makes really are special. I'm with Betty on the rosy cheeks of the little bird. Just wonderful.xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your "Mr" always makes me smile! Oh, I don't think there is anything wrong with a few silver pretties, or three, or four or.......! Why, I don't think you have a problem at all. Love your sweet little birdie pincushion, Julie. It oozes prettiness and sweetness. I am a wee bit jealous of your 7 op shops in your area. I do believe you would always find a treasure in at least one. Have a beautiful week, beautiful lady♥

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Wow Julie, your (Not) collecting collection looks wonderful. Your displays look amazing. Love the pincushion, you are so clever creating your own. You had a fantastic time at the op shops, so good to find treasures you love. Had to laugh about the cats,,,yep they will always follow where ever you go!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Julie I love your silver and that pin cushion is wonderful. You have a talent my lady that goes beyond talented. I would never have thought of that. I really enjoy your blog thank you so much for sharing your pictures.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  18. HI Julie - gorgeous new-vintage pincushion. Your house is such a treasure trove - I'm not surprised you were able to find a whole collection of vintage silverware on your wanders! hehe, an totally relate about the cats...!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Julie I bought miss pops a heated cat electric blanket off Trademe. Miss pops will come for a quick cuddle at the beginning if the night, but spends most of the night curled up in her bed in my bedroom. It means I can roll around on my bed all night. Maybe that could work for your two?

    julie and Poppyq

    ReplyDelete
  20. White boys who can really play come from tougher circumstances overseas now. Like brothers who can really play come from tough circumstances here. He spent so much time on the court because there wasn't much to go home to. Let's start with the obvious. Working under Heathcote since 1986, Tom Izzo took over at MSU in 1995 when Heathcote retired. The assistants to Izzo who have moved on to head coaching jobs begin with Stan Joplin in 1996 (Toledo) and steadily continue with Tom Crean (Marquette, 1999), Stan Heath (Kent State, 2001; Arkansas, 2002), Gregory (Dayton, 2003) and Mike Garland (Cleveland State, 2003). (tags: Cheap Real Yeezys, Discount Jordan Shoes Wholesale, Cheap Yeezys)

    "I understand that listening to a person going through the panic that Mrs. Stevens was in those final moments of her life, we all hope that we would get a little better response than perhaps what she was given. I don't want us interacting with anyone in that way whether it's a life and death situation or not," he told KHBS/KHOG TV. (tags: Jordan Shoes For Sale Cheap, 2020 Jordan Release Dates, Ray Ban Sunglasses Outlet)

    By identifying the notions that create the feelings, it is much easier to analyze. Reduce these rules down to the bare minimum and identify the foundation on which these rules are based. You might find that, as you meander through your own thought processes, that many of your ideas might be based on parental voices or misconceptions (tags: Coach Outlet Store Online , Michael Kors Bags Sale, Coach Outlet Store, MK Outlet).

    ReplyDelete

Hello, & thank you for taking the time to comment on my posts - I read and appreciate each and every one of your comments :-)
I always prefer to reply to your comments by email unless you are a no-reply-blogger in which case I will reply to your comments in this section here. Thanks so much for stopping by to read & comment on my blog x0x