Sunday, July 28, 2019

(Still) Chasing My Tail !!

Greetings dear friends & readers
I did not mean to be gone from here for so long!
It feels like I have been chasing my tail for the entire month of July!

Since I last posted here I have completed a large sewing Order, had a trip down to my Mum's, put together some gifts, looked after Sid extra days & had a tummy bug!!
Phew πŸ˜‰ Life is certainly never dull here at Threadbear HQ!
So blogging has definately taken a bit of a back seat.

My friend D placed a large sewing Order with me earlier in the year & I finished the first part of it in this post *Here*
In classic "Julie fashion" I left the hardest items til last.

Finally I managed to complete the Order for D & she collected it just yesterday
These patchwork foxes are from the Tilda book Sewing By Heart
I have never made them before & think I may need a good long rest before I attempt them again πŸ˜‰!!
The first one I made was the large size in the photos above - he (or she) measures 77 cms tall - a fact I overlooked until I begun sewing him.

The second size is called "small" but I would say it's more a medium at 62 cms tall
This one came together much easier as is often the way when sewing things for the very first time.


I thought they made such a great pair with their cute faces - as if their little personalities were showing through





The final part of the Order was from another Tilda book - this time  Homemade & Happy


It was D's idea to have the toy animals made up & then hang them up as a mobile - I thought this was 
such a wonderful idea.


The pigs tail has florist wire in it to make it bendable
I used fabrics from my linen stash to make the animals - the fabric for the pig was a linen wrap skirt hand painted 
with flowers - I thought it was perfect for the piggy


The Lamb was made in white handkerchief linen .  .  .  .


.  .  .  .  & the deer was made in raw linen with antlers courtesy of my flowering cherry blossom tree 
which is currently bare of leaves, so ideal for finding the right antlers.
The photo on the right shows the petite size of the animals 
I purchased a natural cane ring from Spotlight & hung the animals using some clear twine.



In between working on this Order I wanted to make a homemade gift package for D.
I used some flannelette fabric to make some bibs, backed with white towelling, I made the cat toy from a 
wool blanket scrap & inserted a rattle inside when stuffing it.



Some cuddly rugs & wraps were made & I just could not resist this gorgeous fleece from Spotlight while I was there buying the ring for the mobile.  Just look at that little hedgehog family πŸ’—




Speaking of gift making - I decided to make hottie covers for two people that I love & care about a great deal


The first one was for my sister-in-law (& dear friend) Felicity who runs a busy little coffee cart in New Plymouth - she is there all year round rain hail or shine!

I found this gorgeous tartan blanket & embellished it with some kiwiana fabric as I knew Felicity loved these colours.
I thought it might keep her cosy & warm in between customers.




My daughter-in-law had requested a hottie cover for Alec - he already had the hot water bottle but no cover.
I know he is a robot loving little boy so I decided to applique a robot onto the cover 
(The Mr laughed loudly when he saw my attempt at a robot - I can't imagine why !!!)


I also knew Alec loved anything tactile, especially satin - so I stitched a length of wide satin ribbon to the back so he can run his fingers along it when he is cuddling his hottie.

If you have stayed with me right til the end friends, give yourselves a pat on the back!
Thank You 😊 !

I think by the look of this photo above I need to fill the wood basket & light the fire - it feels like a chilly night ahead.
Thanks So Much for your visits here today friends,
I hope the week ahead is filled with good things - take care of yourselves & each other,
With much love & friendship to you All,
Julie & the furry ones x0x0x

19 comments:

  1. Lovely things as usual Julie - enjoy reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. all very sweet and beautiful....Let see the Mr's robot creation then?? I think your's if fabulous! I bet Alec loves it. Simon is currently stretched out in front of the fire........peas in a pod our cats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Julie wow you sure have been busy.
    Oh boy those foxes are so cute and i always enjoy seeing all the beautiful things that you make,i have many tilda books but havent made alot out of them yet.
    Hope you have a lovely weekend my friend xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful collection of goodies, I really like the foxes and the materials/colours you used. I hope you will give yourself a well deserved rest now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goodness! Julie..I thought it was just cats that
    chased their tails..HeHe! Good idea though, a built
    in play thing, and cats never seem bored..and when
    they finished playing..roll over and sleep..goodness
    what a life, think l may have missed out on something..
    I always thought, coming back for my second life on
    earth, l'd come back as a cat..then l thought, knowing
    my luck, it'll be a Tom..and you know where they go,
    in the first weeks of their lives....Arrrrgh! The Vet...! :(.

    The Foxes from the Tilda book look really great, love the
    faces/heads, such character, they look sweet..Nice! :).

    Looks as though the furry ones are in the bestest place..
    We've had a week of heat..the record 36.1 degrees was broken
    on Thursday..up to 38.2..l could'nt even sit out on the patio,
    under the umbrella, to eat, it was so hot..! :(.
    And..As l look out through the Paddington Bear curtains, it's
    much the same to~day..! Phew!

    Nearly 7:30..Time for breakfast, another lemon tea, then up to
    the supermarket at ten..hopefully a restful day, busy week coming
    up..family down next weekend, annual Barbeque next Sunday...about
    25 coming at the moment..a few extra loaves and fishes should do it..! :o).
    😼 🐾🐾🐾 😼 🐾🐾🐾 😼 🐾🐾🐾 😼 🐾🐾🐾 😼 🐾🐾🐾 😼 🐾🐾🐾

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many beautiful gifts, your friends and family are very blessed by your creativity. I especially like the foxes. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything looks fabulous Julie, the hot water bottle covers are so cute, I would love to be able to curl up with the pussy cats there, hope you can rest up now after a mammoth sewing job, well done, have a great week. Chris xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have been more than ‘busy ‘ dear Julie. I loved the mobile animals and think that hedge hog material fabulous. The hottie covers delightful and I loved your robot. SId is such a lucky little boy.
    However your kitties win the day. So sorry you were unwell. Hope you are 100% again now. Will be in touch very soon. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was an order to keep you super busy Julie, sounds like July has been a super busy time for you. Hope the stomach bug has well and truly gone. Love the animal hanger and the foxes, the hottie covers are wonderful, so hugable! Time fo4 a bit of a rest for you now. I think the robot looks wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You work is so beautiful and I love those foxes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kim. Yes the foxes turned out great - lots of stuffing in those long limbs of theirs!!

      Delete
  11. All beautiful projects. Love those foxes, so cute. Hope you are better now. Hugs,xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Julie, You are always creating so many wonderful things. Those cats are so special! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  13. The foxes are so wonderful I want to make one, you are right they do look like they have their own little characters. Do some of your items go to local shops or are they just personal orders? I must have a look at more of the Tilda books you make such lovely things from them. I love the baby gifts too and the mobile is amazing. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you should definately give the Foxes a go. You are a very clever sewer & they would be no problem at all. I didn't put their tails in between their legs as the pattern said to ... I stitched them on just a fraction up their backs a bit as I prefered the look of this. I only supply one shop about an hour away from me with a few items - not alot of sewed things .... potpourri's & birdfeeders. The rest of my work just comes from Orders from customers that used to come to my craft Cottage.

      Delete
  14. It is such a joy to see the things you make. Your cats are so sweet! Filling the wood box and lighting a fire sounds cozy. I am looking forward to fall with cooler days and nights.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Lordy!!!! You've been flat out. I have felt the same way with being busy. I have had orders coming out of my ears and it's almost show time as well....so double pressure. You have made some incredible things and I love the foxes!! They seem to be the rage at the moment...one that I love. I love your little helpers there sprawled out near the heater.....they're busy. lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is always a joy to visit your lovely place, Julie, and see what pretties you have been imagining. Those little foxes are gorgeous. How fabulous they look with their pretty fabrics. Love Alec's hot water bottle cover. The robot looks very cool.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, & thank you for taking the time to comment on my posts - I read and appreciate each and every one of your comments :-)
I always prefer to reply to your comments by email unless you are a no-reply-blogger in which case I will reply to your comments in this section here. Thanks so much for stopping by to read & comment on my blog x0x