Wednesday, August 21, 2019

An Upcycled (or ruined !!) Lampshade



Good Wednesday Morning to you all dear friends & readers πŸ’š


Early last month - when I should have been working on Orders but was distracting myself - I decided I was 
tired of my coffee table display & thought it was perhaps about time I put my Easter things away (!!!) πŸ˜•


I found this lampshade on top of a wardrobe in my sleepout - it had been a $5 purchase from Hospice sometime 
last year
As you can see it was in excellent condition but the fixture inside where it could be fitted to a lamp stand, was missing.
I decided to pull all the covering off it including the wrapping around the sides of the frame 
 I had a "sort-of-an-idea-floating-in-my-head" that I wanted to rust it

I soaked it in a mixture of vinegar & salt - as I only had a shallow plastic bath I had to rotate it over several days 
but finally I could see the rusting process beginning
 I left the top & bottom of the frame with the wrapping on as I planned to re-wrap this with new fabric

Once I felt it had rusted enough I rinsed it well with cold water (you need to do this in order to halt the rusting process) then left it by the fire with Miss Pippi to supervise while it dried.

This is how it looked once I had wrapped the top & bottom of the frame in a dull brown fabric - I wanted a rustic primitive look - you see I planned to use the frame as a sort of "rustic cloche" on my coffee table

Here it is all set up on a vintage crochet doiley with my fairy lights wrapped around it 


I used a small stack of vintage prayer books & some other rustic looking objects as a display under my "cloche"

The hessian table runner just seemed to compliment the display perfectly


Down one end I displayed the soy candles I had made in some gorgeous crystal jugs gifted to me by 
my dear friend Sue 
I am really thrilled with my new/old display - however when I showed The Mr my finished cloche, his only 
comment was "I think you have ruined a perfectly good lampshade !!" πŸ˜‰


Speaking of rustic things - I have been working outside on the very occasional days we have had fine weather - these are few & far between!
This rusty old tin hatbox was out in the woodshed so I lined it with a black polythene bag & then planted it with 
some succulents that were ready to be transplanted out
I am hoping they will multiply & spill over the edges


Whilst weeding an area of garden I noticed some pots tucked under a shrub & upon pulling them out, I see 
they were my hyacinth bulbs from last spring - just beginning to flower.
The scent from the white one is beautiful πŸ’š


Last weekend before the wild weather came again I picked a large vase of daffodils & two jars of white Daphne
 to enjoy inside instead of watching it all get bashed around in the garden.


My friend Denise posted this little Verse on Instagram - I just loved it & asked her if I could share it on my blog 
 I hope you can read it okay - it is titled  "Seenager"


Thanks again for your visits & your lovely comments today dear friends,
It is nasty weather here again today & Miss Pippi is tucked up on the couch by the fire sound asleep
You can forgive her anything when you see her like this!
(including the mouse she bought in at 5.30 am this morning!!!)
Have a wonderful day dear friends,
Much love & friendship to you all πŸ’—
Julie & the furry ones x0x0x

22 comments:

  1. This seenager LOVES that verse. Isn't it fabulous! This seenager LOVES your 'new' lampshade, too. Julie, you are quite simply brilliant! How beautiful it looks as a "cloche" with all those pretties huddled together under it. They all make for a gorgeous vignette. Love the addition of the fairy lights, too. I smiled at the "Grow" sign....perhaps I should plant one. The sight of your happy daffodils heralding the soon-to-be (fingers crossed) arrival of Spring has made me smile. Me thinks I might just go out to my garden and pick some of my yellow pretties. Have a beautiful day, lovely Julie♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julie wow what a transformation with the lampshade ,i wasnt sure what you were doing first but gee your coffee table display has come along nicely,the frame looks awesome with the fairy lights wrapped around the frame.
    Oh boy the hat box full of flowers looks awesome ,gee you are such a clever chicky,well done my friend ,great post,hope your day is a good one my friend xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your upcycled shade looks great Julie, what does the mister know hehehe. The pots of flowers look lovely, always remember Hyacinth flowers growing up, we had the plastic versionπŸ˜‚ So now all us oldies know what we are lol how cute, and speaking of cute, miss Pippi, wish I could curl up by the fire like she does, have a great week Julie. Chris xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. *sigh* men, no imagination some of 'em. Love what you do x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think one of the most used words on your posts
    Julie is..Amazing..and the brilliant ideas you
    have to go with them..! :).
    You've certainly 'not' left the lamp cover in
    the 'shade'..looks great, and something easily
    converted to something Christmasy...! :).πŸŽ„✨πŸŽ„

    The potted plants and succulents look nice to,
    their all coming on a tread, lets hope they can
    read, though there coming on a treat..HeHe! I
    won't comment on flowers in vases..think l've
    done that a couple times already..! :(.

    And..Yes..Pussy~cats are like babies..Lovely
    when their asleep..though pussy~cats look
    lovelier..they've got more fur..! :).
    Oh! The Seenager comment gonna copy and use
    that, if it's o.k. Just up my street...! :o).
    ❀γƒ…❤♫ ❀γƒ…❤♫ ❀γƒ…❤♫ ❀γƒ…❤♫ ❀γƒ…❤♫

    ReplyDelete
  6. i couldn't work out what you were doing with the lamp shade either then you put it on the table with all the little bits & it just goes there! so awesome. i don't even have a coffee table lol if i did the cats would probably own it lol
    love the succulent tin too!
    you are so creative!
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely comment Selina. I can well imagine you wondered what on earth I was doing my friend!!! I am so pleased with how it turned out though. xx

      Delete
  7. Those skeletal lampshades are very de rigeur here! Great job on yours and such a lot of work you put into it. I love all your vignettes, Julie. You're so talented. We're entering the annual flower show on Saturday and your hatbox succulent garden has given me an idea for the wee girls' miniature garden entries. You wouldn't believe the preparation that's going on here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your seenager verse,lol.and I love all your work too!.The lampshade looks great.Im going to copy the verse out and give it to my teenage grandaughters!,xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely comment Debi - Yes I loved the Verse too & asked my friend if I could share it on my blog. I have printed it off for my sewing room wall. xx

      Delete
  9. Why if I am a seenager am I still working like a dog?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your lampshade 'cloche'. Love the seenager verse. :) Hugs,xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the seenager verse!! So true. 😊 Your repurposed lampshade looks wonderful, what do men know!!! The spring flowers look lovely, so good you have found a use for the jugs 😊 i bet they smell wonderful! Ah Miss Pippi working hard then sleeping by the fire.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The rusted cloche came out perfectly Julie! Looks gorgeous :) Also...only you can just find a perfectly aged old tin hatbox in the woodshed!!! Lucky you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. You always make the most pretty displays, the addition of fairy lights to your lamp shade is great. Spring is trying isn't it???!! Hi Miss Pippi :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi! Mouse at 5:30 a.m.! Eek. Not a good way to start a morning. Your lampshade cloche turned out darling. Just like a husband to say things like that! Gotta love 'em anyways! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful idea for the old lampshade, you are so creative with old bits. You also have given me an idea - covering an old frame with a large doily, so will have to get my cottons out. So thank you very much Julie. Love the verse! I have just got some daffs opening their flowers, we must be behind you. Hi to Miss Pippi, I have Ambrose in the same position on the sheepskin rug at my feet.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are so talented. I would never have thought of using a lampshade. It turned out beautifully. Isn't that just like a husband to say such a thing. Exactly what my husband would have said. That is so funny. Hope your spring arrives there soon. We will soon be going into fall, in fact, today feels like fall. Cool and rainy. I would love to cuddle up with Miss Pippi by the fire. She is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello, I've just found your lovely blog and added myself as a follower. I love what you've done with the lampshade and made it into a display cloche. I've seen these fabric-less frames, rusted or coppered, with these new lightbulbs that are designed to be seen. I been having a look at some of your other posts. I love the foxes! My sewing skills are not great and I only taught myself to crochet last summer. I'm not quite a 'seenager' yet, but getting there. Best, Jane :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to leave your lovely comment Jane. I shall pop over to your blog for a quick visit once my grandson has gone home for the day xx

      Delete
  18. The lampshade idea is very inventive and looks great, you are good at thinking outside of the box. x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Julie just to say I will still be following you, closiong my wood fairy blog is just because it is time consuming and I have run out of things to say/do on there. My other blog magiccarpettravels.blogspot.com will get updated when I do any travels and we can still email each other, I am so glad you want to keep in touch - thank you! Betty x

    ReplyDelete

Hello, & thank you for taking the time to comment on my posts - I read and appreciate each and every one of your comments :-)
I always prefer to reply to your comments by email unless you are a no-reply-blogger in which case I will reply to your comments in this section here. Thanks so much for stopping by to read & comment on my blog x0x