Friday, July 30, 2021

A Tilda Father Christmas

Greetings lovely friends & readers

I hope your week is going well & you are looking forward to the weekend, as I am.

I purchased the Tilda book above from * Here * several years ago now.  I had always wanted to make the Father Christmas inside it but I felt daunted as I had never done needleturn applique before.  When my friend Claire came to stay in early May she offered to do the needleturn pieces for me & post up for me to stitch onto the clothes.  I agreed ... however when I got my fabrics out to sort which ones I chose to use, I decided it was probably high time I had a go at needleturn applique myself πŸ˜‰.  


In hindsight I think I should've probably chosen something a bit simpler to begin on, & also not so fiddly.  However - I persevered & over a period of about 2 months I worked away on the leaves & tiny borders of my Santa's clothing.

I must be honest here & say - I am sure if you "needleturn whiz's" saw my methods, you would roll around laughing !! πŸ˜„    But I got there in the end.


Instead of quilting the fabric afterwards, as the pattern suggests, I just used Sandcastle fabric, which is already quilted - I really liked this effect too.  The other change I made was I gave my Santa a fur beard instead of the quilted fabric beard shown in the pattern.


The pattern for the tree is also included in the book - I gave my tree a rustic twig stem & then spray painted a rusty star to adorn the top. 


This time round, instead of having Madam Pip "assisting me" I had Blackie plonk himself down on my needle turn applique & give everything a liberal coat of black hairs 😟 as well as getting glue baste-it on his paws.  Honestly friends, it's a wonder I get anything done around here !!!

I am so thrilled with my Father Christmas ... he's far from perfect & there Was rather alot of Glue baste-it used, but he's finished & I'm just happy that I gave it a go.  Before we know it, it will be December again (!!!) & he will look wonderful hanging in my πŸ’— Pink Christmas area πŸ’•

My friend Jan dropped the black fabric dinosaur panel into me recently - it was going to be tossed out at the Op Shop where Jan volunteers.

  
I unpicked the dinosaur panel & then sewed it onto a small cushion for Sid, made from some dinosaur flannelette in my stash. The picture is made entirely from sequins, hand-sewn on, & when you rub your hand upwards on it - the sequins all change to the blue & spell the word "Roar".  Sid was delighted with it & now takes it to bed each night.


Before                                                                      After

This silver coffee pot above was in the thrift shopping haul from my last Post... a $5 purchase.  While I was already painting with my "Pumice" chalk paint, I gave it 2 coats & then applied some remnants of Re-design transfers to it.


I added one to the lid also, then I very lightly buffed all the detailing with some silver gilding wax. 


Last Sunday The Mr was away all day riding Moto X so I had a cooking day.  I made a Lasagne for the freezer & I made a fudge cake to take to my Craft Group on Monday (which ended up being cancelled)  then I put a Fridge Drawer Stew in the slow cooker, which lasted us 3 nights last week.  

I loved this wee funny below - it came into my Instagram account this week & made me smile.
I hope you all have a wonderful weekend dear friends.
Those of you that follow my blog by email notifications - Please Note that Blogger is going to be removing this notification & you will no longer receive email notifications after this month.  I will make further investigations & figure out another way to notify you when I can. 

Thank you all so much for your visits here today,
Have a wonderful weekend dear friends,
With much love & friendship to you all,
Julie & the furry ones x0x0x0





23 comments:

  1. Aha first cab of the rank for comments today, well I adore your santa, he looks pretty good to me Julie, that's also one thing I could never get around to trying, great cushion for Sid as well, your painted silverware always looks amazing, you can send some of that fudge cake this way please, have a great week Julie, blowing a gale here again. Chris xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love your Santa. He is just beautiful. The cushion for Syd looks great & the teapot looks wonderful. Thanks for the funny, gave me a chuckle. Now i'm off to chase one of my furrs from drinking my plant water. Hugs, xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. HaHa! I was wondering how the Tilda Santa
    came out so well..You had help from Blackie
    this time..l think he has the eye for
    perfection..
    Seriously though, it's a bit boring seeing a
    red Santa all the time..! :).
    PS..(I did'nt know Blackie wore glasses)..! :O).

    Up and about early this morning, my daughter and
    hubby on there way down from the midlands for a
    long weekend, so an early trip to the supermarket..!
    My daughters Staffy, Zeeva is coming as well, she's
    14yrs old, and a bit of a tart..when we get together,
    there's trouble..at least l'll have company in bed..! :O).

    Love Huey Dewey etc..they look like a fun bunch..Bless!x
    (((Hugs)))) X's to the furry helpers Julie...
    Just in case l forget..Merry Christmas and Happy New Year..! :).
    πŸŽ… πŸŽ„ πŸŽ… πŸŽ„ πŸŽ… πŸŽ„ πŸŽ… πŸŽ„ πŸŽ… πŸŽ„ πŸŽ… πŸŽ„ πŸŽ… πŸŽ„ πŸŽ… πŸŽ„ πŸŽ… πŸŽ„ πŸŽ…

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Father Christmas is adorable and you have made a brilliant job of transforming that coffee pot. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm thinking Blackie prefers masculine projects and Miss Pip enjoys the bunny rabbits in the angels. Nice how they help you so no matter what. I'd say that was quite a project and I'm sure that's not anything I'd try to master, but it certainly turned out quite lovely. You should be proud of that when you put it with your Christmas decorations later. Glad to see the dinosaur was a hit as it should be with a small boy. Have a great weekend and we'll see you later Lynn and Precious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lynn & Precious. I will be so happy to put this out with my Christmas decorations this year & so pleased he is finally ticked off my wish list. Hope you both have a great weekend too Lynn xx

      Delete
  6. You are so amazing, I mean really I could never do what you do. The patience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kim ... I quite enjoy the fiddly crafts I think - even tho' they drive me bonkers πŸ˜‰

      Delete
  7. Dearest Julie I have decided you are living on another planet far away in the Milky Way. Your day has 30 hours to it and I never realised until now. No one on earth could possibly achieve what you do in our 24. Also your sequin cushion gave the game away. Magic. Your appliquΓ©s are gorgeous. You must have been so proud to do them yourself. You remind me of our Gold Medal winner who got it on her 4th go. Patience is something I have never acquired. When I saw little Blackies upturned foot my heart melted.
    I have daffodils in a vase from my garden. So surprising after the frosts. Are they extra early I wonder or is everyone having them appear in July this year. I hope you find a way of letting us know by email when you list. It’s always exciting to receive and I read before breakfast most times. Have a great weekend and lots of love. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh Julie, everything you create is soo beautiful..

    You are so talented. Warm fuzzy bear hugs your way. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You so much for your sweet comment. ❤ Xx

      Delete
  9. Julie, your Father Christmas is just gorgeous! You did a beautiful job! Good for you making yourself do the applique….that’s how we learn and stretch ourselves. However with your powerful creativity, I should not think you could stretch far! thank you for the cat funny……I love it and have shared it with several cat-loving friends. What a wonderful photo! Carol in Texas

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Santa is just amazing... so much detail and beautifully done... nothing wrong with your needleturn. Love the coffee pot remake too.... so clever.... A fun pillow made... those sequins are such fun....
    Have a lovely weekend...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another great post ,love your Christmas decors in pink .
    Lovely yummy food ,and so many wonderful goodies you gave new life to.
    Enjoy your weekend .

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful post Julie, I admire your needle turn applique, so many little pieces!! Well done 😁. Your Santa looks wonderful. Good to see Blackie helping this time. You have done wonders with the coffee pot Julie and you cooked yo a storm, I like the idea of a fridge drawer stew.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Tilda Father Christmas is delightful! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Father Christmas stitched up beautifully! Your needleturn applique looks pretty sweet! I'd say you should do more of it! :-) I've recently started to become a Tilda fan... looking forward to the next fabric line... hopefully I can grab a bundle before it sells out! lol! Blackie is so cute! No project is complete until it has been blessed by a few cat hairs! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your Father Christmas is a masterpiece Julie...I am in awe! I have no idea how to do needleturn applique but yours is very impressive. Now then I am sure Blackie and Co mean well they are there to give you inspiration and a few cat hairs add an original touch to your wonderful creations :-) Take care Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my! Father Christmas is beautiful! I'd like a piece of cake, please?
    You're the BEST! I love your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your Father Christmas is a gorgeous fellow. LOVE his outfit. Your needleturn applique is great. I always find needleturn applique tricky. Love the quirky Christmas tree, too. The chalk paint adheres to the metal well. Do you have to apply a special undercoat? Sid's dinosaur sounds like the next best thing...how fun this cushion is.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, & thank you for taking the time to comment on my posts - I read and appreciate each and every one of your comments :-)
I always prefer to reply to your comments by email unless you are a no-reply-blogger in which case I will reply to your comments in this section here. Thanks so much for stopping by to read & comment on my blog x0x