Thursday, June 16, 2022

Moving My Mum to Resthome Care

Greetings lovely friends & readers

I have been away for over a week as I moved my dear Mum in to Resthome Care.    I think some overseas Countries call it Assisted Living but here in New Zealand we call it Resthome Care.     It feels like I went away in Autumn & returned in Winter as there are bare branches & leaves everywhere around my section & garden.


 

The day before I went I had a VeRy important event to attend ... Grandparents Day at Sid's new school.  Though the weather was dreadful & the scheduled Cross Country Run cancelled, we still had a wonderful time & both enjoyed it very much.


My 93 year old Mum has spent the past 10 years of her life saying she is Never Ever going in to Resthome Care ... so I knew it was going to be difficult to navigate.   We had been waiting all year for a room to become available & finally when one was, I didn't want to risk losing it.  I am hoping that as the days & weeks go by Mum comes to accept that she can no longer manage living on her own at Home anymore.  It is 21 years today since my Dad passed away from Cancer.    Mum's new room is very pleasant & has a nice big picture window that looks out on to greenery & big trees.  

(You can just see Mums reflection in the window)

The Resthome has 3 cats, two of them were rescue kittens & this one above (Boots) came to welcome Mum on her first day there.  Here she is sitting on Mum's windowsill.  

The next day Boot's brother (Marley) followed me up the hallway & into Mum's room, where he promptly took up residence on her bed for the rest of the day.  The third day I visited, Marley was on her lap enjoying her pats.  I do think they sense when the Residents are "cat lovers" or not, as they don't go in to everyone's rooms apparently.


I had really hoped that Mum would find "a new friend" while in the Resthome but I kind of thought a two-legged one & not a four-legged, furry one !! 😉

When my brother came to install a new TV set in Mum's room Marley was not fazed in the slightest & just carried 
on sleeping.

(The wooden childs chair was $5 & I thought I may re-purpose it as a plant stand)

During stressful times I try to relax by browsing the isles of Op Shops ... however it was slim pickings this trip.  The above items were found in the local SPCA Op Shop apart from the Cane frame which was in a shop opposite that was closing down & was $3.

I thought the wee lavender porcelain jug & bowl would be sweet with candles poured into them & the ($2) terracotta wheelbarrow will get a coat of paint & some succulents planted in it sometime.


Before                                                                        After

I couldn't resist this little framed cutwork design for $3 ... but once home I gave the frame 3 coats of Pale Duck Egg chalk paint as I thought this complimented the soft pastel needlework more than the darker wood.


It fits perfectly on my occasional table with other thrifted/upcycled items painted in the same colour 💙
You can read about the Jug Upcycle * Here *
    & the taller Frame Upcycle * Here *



This wee girl spends her Saturday mornings on the Counter at the SPCA shop & is quite a hit with the regular customers.  I asked if I could take a photo of her - she was very social & seemed to really enjoy all the pats & attention.


 Back in early May I entered a Mothers Day Giveaway run by Joy from "The Joy Within" .. & was delighted to be informed I had won it!!   The prize was a Gift Voucher & one of Joy's repurposed Squished Tin's.  Joy delivered my prize while I was down at Mums & I hope to use the Voucher to attend one of her classes at some stage.


Thank You So much for stopping by today dear friends 💕
I shall get round to visiting you all at your blogs as soon as I can,
Right now I am off to make something sweet & sugary that satisfies my craving & no doubt, goes straight to my Hips 😉 !!!
Wishing you a wonderful rest-of-the-week,
With much love & friendship to you all,
Julie & the furry ones x0x0x



40 comments:

  1. I think you deserve something sweet and sugary Julie after your stressful time away. I hope your Mum settles in ok, even if she doesn't admit it to you. You have peace of mind knowing she is well cared for, eating properly and tasking medication properly, warm and safe. Lovely to have the cats in the home. How cute is that bunny at the op shop! Congratulations on your win! You found lovely treasures at the op shop. Wonderful to go to grandparents day with Sid despite the weather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so sweet about the kittens visiting your Mum. I hope she is happy there and makes a lot of new friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope your mum likes her new digs Julie, so hard on them to move, nice she has the cats to keep her company. I always love the stuff you find at your op shops over there, wish mine were as good. Sid is lucky to have such a lovely grandparent who cares enough to go to those events. When I saw your name pop up on Joys instagram page as the winner, I thought lucky Julie, and enjoy your sweet treats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sure that after making friends with the four legged inhabitants of the home, your Mom will make friends of the two legged variety. Lovely paint job on the cutwork lace frame. It does bring out the softer colours of the embroidery work.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure your mums new friends will help her to settle right in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's wonderful that your Mum has visiting kittens and so lovely that one has taken to return visiting. I hope your Mum settles and feels comfortable soon and gives you peace of mind knowing she is safe. Lovely prize from Joy and can see some more DIY's coming up from your quarters. Lovely photo of you and Sid, I used to go up to Sam's( my GS) in Auckland for his Grandparents day, he's now 18!!! what the --------, where's the time gone. Take care and keep warm, the rain is coming back now so settle in and keep warm and do some knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that animals can make difficult transitions easier. It sure looks like your mom has found a new friend to help her settle in to her new living space.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope your Mum settles in well in her new home. Nice that the kitties welcomed her. Lovely photo of you & Sid. Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh well done, a big event to get sorted. My theory is that animals know when someone likes them but also know when someone needs them and your mum needs that extra to help her settle. I know it's hard for you too so I hope you went and enjoyed that sweet treat. The frame on the cutwork is just perfect with your upcycling. Lovely pic of you and Sid.
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  10. So happy your mother moved into a home , and you can have peace of mind now.
    Pets seem to know if you are a kind person.
    Love all your buys and the way you enhanced them .
    Take time to rest up now , you did the right thing and I know how hard it is at the time.
    Have a fun week from June.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Having done that with my Mom last year at this time, I know that is a very stressful time. I love that they have furry friends there, and that they have taken to your Mum. That may have made it easier for my Mom, had she had that kind of welcome.
    I know your new treasures will all end up as beautiful as the cutwork in the newly matching frame.
    Clover is adorable. I want to pet her!!
    Congrats on your win. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope your mum settles in and you and her take some comfort in knowing ahe will have help at hand and meals cooked for her each day. Love her feline friends.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The framed cut work was a super bargain. It is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for this post. My friend is going through something similar, moving her sister in law to a care home. It is very stressful for all the family as the lady does not want to go. It has been a gradual process, getting her used to a new environment over a period of months. They are not quite there yet, but it's looking good. It's a question we will all have to face, to stay or move. Your craftwork is lovely by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me your kind comment Ilona. I really appreciate it. xx

      Delete
  15. Hi Julie ,you have had lots going on,sending you a big hug. Hope your home settles and enjoys her new home,take care lovely lady 💕🤍💕

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great op shopping. Give your mum a big hug from me. Hugs Kathleen Mary

    ReplyDelete
  17. Goodness! All behind to~day, spent to long time down
    town..gossiping and shopping..and signing autographs.
    HeHe! Bless! :)

    What good news about Mum, she looks quite happy,
    and four furry legged pussy~cats as well..looks like
    they've settled in as well..
    I know it's difficult, it took my Mum a year to decide to
    move from her home to sheltered housing..as we call
    it..she'd lived in her home for 52yrs..long time, and
    then, to have to move..! Lots of tears shed...! :(.

    Lovely little bunny rabbit..when l was a boy, l used to keep,
    breed and show 'Netherland Dwarfs' they were always
    white in colour, and quite small..Really nice..! :).

    Must get on..bit to catch up on..all the very best for Mum,
    Julie..I'm sure she'll settle in o.k. especially with three
    pussy~cats as friends..they all look happy together...! :O)
    😼 🐾🐾 😼 🐾🐾 😼 🐾🐾 😼 🐾🐾 😼 🐾🐾

    ReplyDelete
  18. Difficult times and difficult but necessary decision to make, Julie. It seems that having "home" kitties is a sign of a
    good place for your Mum to settle into eventually. Help take the edge off from giving up what was her total independence.
    Even though she had help when needed, often it sounded like help was after the fact when she had falls. Nice to see your smiling face with Sid. Your mum must have enjoyed that photo. Here we have had severe storms and heat that is usually seen in July. We have thousands of trees down from Tuesday's storm. Had to clear our neighbor's 40 foot wild cherry off our property in 100 degree heat. Otherwise it would have killed off our lawn area. My lip is fine and was Ok by evening that day. I have been stung much worse on the face by a swarm of ground hornets who leave venom that does not diminish for days. This must have just been a busy bee, lol. Take care and hope all goes well. Lynn and Precious XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind & lovely comment Lynn & Precious. I hope you've managed to clear up after the storm okay. I can imagine what a huge job it all was. Enjoy the weekend - the sun is trying to shine here. xx

      Delete
  19. Julie it's never an easy time. Mum and dad had been married for 52 years, and Dad built the family home. The garden was their pride and joy. When Mum passed, there happened to be a room available in an assisted care home which is only 100 metres down the road from us, so it was perfect. Dad didn't even take one last look at his home, he just accepted that the move would be for the best. We enjoyed many years with Dad, memories that I still treasure today. Best wishes to you and your dear Mum xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Robyne. Gosh that's wonderful about your dear Dad - I wish that Mum would accept her situation like he did. Such a relief for you all that he was happy to move. Thank you for your lovely kind words. xx

      Delete
  20. I hope your Mum settles in quickly, Julie. It will come as some relief to you that she is going to be safe and looked after from now on. My own Mother had a very narrow escape on Tuesday. We spent the entire day in A&E, got there at 11.30am and eventually left at 6.30pm! It's not my ideal way to spend a day without food or drink and not one which I wish to repeat soon. Have a great weekend, Julie. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. So glad that Mum is finally in and I do hope that she settles well - how could she not with ready made furry friends! xx

    ReplyDelete

  22. Out My window has left a new comment on your post "Moving My Mum to Resthome Care":

    That must have been very hard on both of you. I really feel for you both. It will give you much relief from worry. You have been down there so much this past year. I am so happy they have kitties, this will help her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kim - yes I hope it works out okay - it will be good not to have to worry about her having the falls & being home alone like she was. xx

      Delete
  23. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such a very sweet idea to have kitties in care homes. Your Mum will be well looked after and be safe, but difficult for her to accept. Not easy for either of you. I do hope she’s soon feeling comfortable about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your sweet kind comment. It honestly made my day when that kitten wandered into Mums room like he owned the place - it was just the loveliest thing. xx

      Delete
  25. It is always a difficult transition for our elderly parents to go into an assisted living situation. Your mum has certainly found some friends with the sweet kitties. I love that they are so at home with her. They will help her to settle in. You have some found some fabulous op shop pretties. The pretty lavender jugs are perfect for candles.

    ReplyDelete
  26. A difficult time on both sides Julie. The wee kitty cats seem to know who needs some extra attention. I hope your Mum settles in well. Lovely photo from your special date with Sid. Congratulations on your lovely win! You still managed some very nice op shop loot. So glad that pretty cut work will get a new life after someones hard work xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Jo ButterZ has left a new comment on your post "Moving My Mum to Resthome Care":


    The framed cut work was a super bargain. It is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You so much Jo. I was really pleased with it - it was tucked in behind some other things at the Op Shop ... so was a real find.

      Delete
  28. I'm glad to here your Mum is settling in. I've been thinking of you this week. How lovely that there are cats there. Looks like Marley has made himself quite welcome in your Mum's room. He looks very content sitting on her lap. Your framed cutwork looks wonderful, so perfect alongside the other painted upcycled items. Love the photo of you and Sid. Congratulations on your lovely win. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  29. It is a challenging time for everyone when a parent goes into care, however, there are so many benefits to this move. My dad took about 4 months to settle down and once he realized he had constant company, cooked foods, activities and also quiet times when he needed, he enjoyed himself. I imagine it will be the same for your mum. How lovely that there are the four legged friends at the home too, pets make such a difference. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you so much for visiting my Blog. Please call again.

    With best wishes to you and yours. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Sending hugs 🤗
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Dearest Julie, what a treasure you are to your mum...far greater than all the treasures you find and makeover. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi Julie! How sweet that the cats love your mum so much! I pray your mama adjusts well. xo

    ReplyDelete

Hello, & thank you for taking the time to comment on my posts - I read and appreciate each and every one of your comments :-)
I always prefer to reply to your comments by email unless you are a no-reply-blogger in which case I will reply to your comments in this section here. Thanks so much for stopping by to read & comment on my blog x0x