Thursday, August 6, 2026

A VeRy Loonnnnng Week (!!)

Greetings lovely friends & readers



 Instead of a vase of flowers I am sharing my Moth Orchids today, which are flowering away.  The pinky one is the plant that I accidentally broke the stem off last year, so it is wonderful to see it in full bloom again. 


And on my deck I have my Cymbidium Orchid with two large flower stems on it.  It always makes me smile when I see this in bloom as when my son gifted it to me, several Mother's Days ago, he told me it would have white flowers (!!) ๐Ÿ˜‰

Dear Friends - it has been a VeRy LoNg WeeK indeed (I started this post last Monday)  
We I have had a week of unwell cats & believe me I feel like I have aged about a hundred years!!!




It started with Pippi.  She had been constantly scratching & pulling at her fur for a couple of months now - most unusual for her & she was also behaving slightly crazier than she normally is.  I initially thought it was stress due to the Painters, however it continued so I decided to flea her before taking it any further (vet visit).  I gave her the same brand flea treatment I usually use but it had a worm treatment added in.  She had an allergic reaction to the treatment & frothed at the mouth & was most unwell for two long days.  
During this time Blackie went out last Tuesday morning at 5 am, in a frost & got a type of hypothermia.  He was in again at 7 am & most unwell, could barely walk, joints all wobbly, most disoriented.  He has been very unwell all last week & I think probably only "turned a corner" last Monday.  I couldn't get him in the cat cage so could not take him to the Vets but I did go & talk with them & they gave me some joint supplements & told me to keep him in, in the warm, hydrated & keep a close eye on him, which I did do for several days.  He did not lose his appetite thankfully so it was simple enough to get the crushed up tablets in to him & he will stay on these now.
I should mention we have had some minus 3 degrees frosts❄️here lately!

Would you like to see the Hospital Ward ??

 This is right by our fire, so nice & warm ... the box is for him to get down as he was walking rather like a drunken sailor.  


In the middle of all this, Wednesday morning I think ... Little One threw up all morning in the spare room & sat huddled in a corner for the entire morning.  Then immediately, that afternoon ... ran around like a nutcase like nothing had ever happened (!!)  Here he is resting on my bed late that afternoon.

So as you can see dear friends, it was all rather worrying & so difficult as they cannot tell you where it hurts or how they feel.  Pippi & Little One are now fine & back to as normal as it gets around here .... I think Blackie is as-good-as-he-will-get & certainly improved but not back to how he was.  I am keeping a close eye on him.    I don't know if he is 13 or 14 as I am unsure how old he was when I bought him in from the wild.




In the midst of all this I was given a Gift.  Some farming friends cleaned out under their wool shed & gifted me 6 bags of sheep droppings pellets ... I was giddy with excitement !! 
As soon as I hit Publish on this post I am going out to spread lots of this around my newly pruned Roses & I can afford to be extra generous with it this year.


I had 6 large heads of broccoli ready in my veggie garden this week so I picked & blanched it to freeze for winter stews & casseroles.
  I have another punnet ready to plant on the 18th of this month when my moon calendar tells me is optimum planting time ๐Ÿ˜Š (18th to 27th)


Last month I managed a tiny bit of Christmas-in-July stitching that I've forgotten to share.   These sweet little bags are from Natalie Bird's book "From The Heart" I had done the stitcheries & decided to sew them up into bags, ready for gifting this Christmas.


Last year I purchased a lovely selection of the Tilda fabric range Merry Little Christmas & did hardly anything at all with it!!  So I've pulled it out & started fussy cutting some to make into Christmas Decorations.  Little One is kindly modelling this Santa one for me ๐Ÿ˜‰


Throughout the year I have been doing some Charity Sewing for * this Charity *.  I plan to make some stockings & fill them with tiny treats for children, so I made a prototype to get my sizing right ... not wanting them to be too large.  I've auditioned a selection of Christmas coloured blankets & fabrics to use up for this. 



Sid received a Reading Award at school assembly last week & was so proud of himself.  Well done Sid  ๐Ÿ’™

Well dear friends, those sheep pellets won't get on the roses by themselves. 
Thank you as always, for your ever-welcome visits here today,
Sending much love & friendship to you all,






23 comments:

  1. Julie, soo sorry to hear about the cats ๐Ÿˆ‍⬛๐Ÿˆ yes our pets become family. Hope everything returns to normal soon xx love the Christmas bags & tags. Perfect for those heart felt gift. All my love xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Sandy. Yes our pets sure are family members even if they are furry ones. It has felt like a long stressful week. xx

      Delete
  2. HeHe! That's it...Let's upset Willie over there in the UK...
    Oh! My goodness! I don't mind people being ill...But!
    Pussy~Cats...and animals in general, is 'most' upsetting.
    Ah! Bless! But...Glad to hear all three have made it through,
    At least there all settled, and asleep, and dreaming of a
    white Christmas...Bless! :O)xxx

    Oh! And nearly forgot...Love the Orchids...My second most
    favourite flower, second only to the Pansy...Yes! Love Orchids..
    Such a lovely majestic flower...Nice...!

    Love broccoli to...we had some at the weekend, my daughter etc..
    were here for the weekend, cooked duck on the Saturday, and my
    'bit of a do' on the Sunday...Phew! Am l getting to old for it all....'NO'
    I don't think so, though l'm told no so...HeHe! :O).

    Phew! Still very hot over here, down South anyway...up and about
    18, this morning, though with a bit of a breeze....! Though there
    talking heat wave for next week...think l'll go back under the stairs
    with the fan...! :O). Never mind...'Soon be Christmas'...I've started
    buying nuts...HeHe! Well...the price of nuts at Christmas..? :O).

    Best get on....Please give the furry ones a great 'BIG' hug Julie,
    and pats, and xxx's Bless! Pleased their o.k. now....Especially
    Blackie..."Hang in there Bro, Hang in there"...!x
    ๐Ÿ’ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿงจ๐Ÿ•›๐Ÿฅณ๐ŸŽ‰๐Ÿ’ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿงจ๐Ÿ•›๐Ÿฅณ๐Ÿ’ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ’ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿงจ๐Ÿ•›๐Ÿฅณ๐ŸŽ‰๐Ÿ’ฅ
    PS..
    Well done Sid.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have 3 to keep an eye on, much more time consuming than one any day. Glad to hear things are a bit better in their world. Poor Blackie. Precious has now graduated to having several step stools around the house to get to her favorite places. She'll be 15 in Nov. The orchards are simply breath taking. Never tried to raise anything more delicate than African Violets and they take my patience sometimes! Sid is so very handsome. Hot here but not the way it was. The humidity is the worst of it any day. Lynn and Precious x x

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so stressful when our fur babies are poorly, as you say they can't explain to us what is wrong. Lovely to see your orchids and garden produce. Those Christmas bags look so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a trying time with the fur babies. So hard when they can't say what is wrong. So happy they are on the mend. Gorgeous orchids, i notice one of mine looks to be getting ready to bloom. Cute Christmas bags & stocking. Well done Sid on your certificate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Julie, it is so very difficult when our pet babies are unwell - as you say, they cannot talk to us & tell us what is wrong. I hope Blackie continues to make a good improvement although often age can be against them. Your Christmas sewing is just beautiful, as always. Wishing you a better week Julie. Sarah USA xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sarah. It has been such a long week but I am pleased that at least two of the furry family members are back to "normal". Hopefully Blackie will keep improving but I am not sure. xx

      Delete
  7. Hello Julie,
    Wow oh my! You have had a BUSY week. I am glad that your babies are doing better. Poor Blackie! and your other sweet cat. Congrats to Sid! Also, I love the idea of sewing for a good cause. I love the idea of this. I have been praying how I can use my hobbies or things I am talented at to bless others and shine the Light of Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Chrissie. I am glad the fur babies are doing better too now. I have been making some of the wool blanket stockings this weekend Chrissie & they are turning out so great. The thought of filling them with some little goodies & making a child happy just fills me with Joy. So I would encourage you to do this with your hobbies too, when you are well again. xx

      Delete
  8. Another amazing post ,
    I love coming other to see all the fun things you are doing ,
    Congrats to Sid , he looks a lovely GS ,
    Have fun , I am a little slower this year it's been far to hot for me and I need a op on my eye soon.
    Take care hugs June.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Julie - I hear you about the cats - I have had my boy in recovery this week after having a dental appointment at the vet's last Friday, and he ended up having another 5 teeth out. He was from a semi-feral colony so I don't know how healthy his mother was, but I have never had a cat with so many dental issues or extractions, and he is only 9 and a half! Never mind the pain in my wallet!
    So glad to hear your wee family is well on the mend now. - nothing worse than an unwell cat. Poor Blackie, that must have been quite a worry for you! Our frosts have been down to -7oC the last two or three mornings.... -2oC tomorrow will seem almost tropical.
    Loving your Christmas ornaments and stockings - you are certainly well organised. I am way behind this year - normally I have a lot of my shopping done by now, but i haven't even thought about it....
    Your broccoli looks amazing - it's too cold to plant here until well into next month.... what a treasure the sheep "pellets" are - your roses will love you for it :)
    Congratulations to Sid on receiving his certificate!
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Poor pussycats - and poor you! - hope Blackie is soon back to normal too.
    Love the orchids, I keep thinking I will get one, maybe this winter. There is a garden centre we go to in the winter to meet friends for lunch and they always have orchids on their reduced table that need a bit of tlc.
    Those bags look great and well done Sid!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a worry, all three pusskins poorly at once. I hope that was a one-off and they are back on par again totally now. Lovely sewing and I need to do some work in that direction. My children all come to me for Christmas Day normally but this year it will just be Gabby and I as the other two have other arrangements. It will be a staggered Christmas. I should consider doing what a friend does and just baking them each a cake as their present!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sorry about the poorly cats. Good job they've got a dedicated cat Mum! Hope next week's quieter for you. Little belt Xmassy things, though m trying not to think of such things, or frost, til at least November!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry to hear all three kitties were down for the count - but I am glad all have turned a corner. That broccoli haul is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you J.J. Gosh I am glad they have turned a corner too - it has been a stressful time of it. Wishing you a lovely weekend J.J. xx

      Delete
  14. Oh dear, yes, when our animal companions are ill it is such a worrying time. I am glad to hear that they are on the mend - they are lucky to have such a caring family! I hope they will continue to improve.
    You are ahead of the game with your lovely decorations and gifts.
    Your broccoli look really good and I am sure the roses will love their feed/mulch. We are still waiting for rain - I am carefully watering what I need to, but I am so over this summer! Roll on Autumn!
    Congrats to Sid too - well done him!
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well I know that your furry friends would have been nursed very lovingly by their Mum. It's so upsetting to watch sick pets.Wy to go Sid.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Poor kitty's... hope they recover fully soon..... your broccoli looks good.. such big heads of it... my favourite vegetable ...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  17. The orchids are gorgeous! I especially like the one that would be white. ;)
    That is incredible that the kitties all decided to go "under the weather" together! You really had your hands full, with plenty to worry about!
    We get excited about interesting things, don't we? Bags of sheep droppings wouldn't float everyone's boat, but a gardener knows the value!
    Wow--that broccoli is gorgeous!
    Love your little Christmas stitchings.
    And kudos to Sid!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a horrible time you have had with your poorly cats. I hope they continue to make good progress and that Blackie has learnt that even his fur coat is not proof enough against the freezing cold, poor boy. ๐Ÿˆ‍⬛
    Congratulations to Sid - well deserved and he looks very happy.
    Your Christmas-in-July projects are so sweet and really now it is approaching. . . . ๐ŸŒฒ๐Ÿง‘‍๐ŸŽ„

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sorry to hear the cats have been so unwell Julie, it is a worry when they can not tell you what the problem is. Good to hear they are coming good now. Beautiful orchids, my indoor ones are flowering but the outdoor haven't recovered from the summer I don't think. Great score with the sheep droppings, your roses will be so happy!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, & thank you for taking the time to comment on my posts - I read and appreciate each and every one of your comments :-)
I always prefer to reply to your comments by email unless you are a no-reply-blogger in which case I will reply to your comments in this section here. Thanks so much for stopping by to read & comment on my blog x0x