Greetings lovely friends & readers,
Several months ago The Mr cleared out the old haybarn at the farm - it was due to be demolished as the rear of it had collapsed quite some time ago.
Although we called it the old haybarn it was a very long time since hay had been stored in it, the farm now having a much newer haybarn. The old haybarn was filled with junk farming paraphernalia. Milkers that came & went frequently left behind furniture they no longer wanted in the old haybarn. And so it was that The Mr came home with this old wooden cupboard & asked me if I wanted it? Otherwise it was going in the burning hole.
Well - Yes Please !! I thought I could do something with it (wasn't sure what exactly) .... & I particularly loved the slightly retro vibe of it.
The cupboard door was intact when it came home but once Blackie jumped up on it, the hinges gave way & it fell in. I'm saying nothing about Blackies weight please note π
And so it sat for several months on the deck ... you can see it even became a cat sleeping place with old towels tossed on it. Blackie especially loved sleeping on it. Then our house got painted & the painters stacked all their gear on it as well as tins of paint & covered the whole lot up with a drop cloth. It sat like this for another couple of months. Once the painters finished & took all their gear I still had no inclination to do anything with it. After my trip away to Sandy's I knew the time had come to tackle the cupboard & tidy up the deck area.
Well thank goodness for that as quite frankly - I hadn't a clue!! π
I then oiled it using the leftover oil from our new deck back in * this post * - mostly because I loved how this applied so well & I didn't wish to stain the unit, just oil it. Gosh did it drink it up!!! Three generous coats later, it was time to repair the feet.
I purchased some half round dowel from Mitre 10 - I couldn't get small enough so it would be slightly larger than the undamaged foot. As you can see, things take twice as long around here due to the unwanted assistance furry supervision π. Blackie was rather delighted I was repairing his favorite sleeping place (!!)
Finally, on Tuesday, I got to move it into place on my deck area, right where the old dog kennel has sat for years. To say I am delighted with how it has turned out is an understatement. I LoVe it π€ & can't wait to decorate it prettily for the festive season. For now I've just plonked my vintage scales on top.
![]() |
| Note to self ... you need to iron the crease out of the middle Julie |
This appeared in my inbox this morning - sent from The Mr. I am ashamed to confess I can tick most all of these as a Yes (!!)
Wishing you all a wonderful weekend dear friends,
Thank you for your ever-welcome visits here today,
Sending much love & friendship to you all,
,
gear



-fotor-20260724132650.jpg)
-fotor-2026072413261.jpg)

-fotor-20260724132637.jpg)
-fotor-20260724133437.jpg)
-fotor-20260724132532.jpg)
-fotor-20260724132516.jpg)
-fotor-20260724133030.jpg)





Oh Julie what an absolutely fabulous piece of furniture you saved! It turned out gorgeous! Much nicer than a sort hangout spot for the cats & painters. Your cats are hilarious! Never a dull moment. The tearowels are pretty, hopefully the Mr or the cats don't wipe their mitts/paws on them. Grey day here in the winterless north too.
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure why my first comment says Anonymous.......But I guess there's some clues as to who I am?
ReplyDeleteYour cabinet is fantastic Julie, you have done such a clever fix up! Great how things you need nearby fit in too. Love how one cat or the other is always nearly helping! Nice job with the tea towels too.
ReplyDeleteI am always amazed at how wood transforms when oiled, how it comes back to life. We had a parquet floor in our bedroom in France which had been covered in rugs for years. When we changed the house around and it became a dining room I decided that it would be lovely to have the wood on show. I gave it several coats of linseed oil before polishing and it looked just amazing. Your cupboard has a 30's look about it. Lovely to see restored and used. xx
ReplyDeleteGoodness! Me! Julie! That cupboard is amazing....my most favorite
ReplyDeleteword if l like something...HeHe! Really! It's very different, unique, and
rather special...and rather different looking....I love it, as everyone else
will to....Love it...! ❤️.
And...As furniture expert Blackie loves it, and taken to it...that's 'good'
enough for me...Bless! Him!x
We are into another hot day over here, the heatwave seems to have
passed over, but it's up into the early thirties already, and it's just gone
eight in the morning...! And...As l'm six foot three...l do suffer, as l'm
closer to the sun than most people...HeHe! That's my excuse anyway...! :O)
Best get on...l've actually had a green tea this morning with breakfast, bit
warm, l wait for it to cool down, then drink it....
And...I'm just gonna pop over to Precious...See what she and Mum Lynn
have been up to...as l do every Friday...
Oh! Love the Cat Mom...noun...HeHe! And Yes..Very true...Bless them....! :O).
π·πΈπ· π·πΈπ· π·πΈπ· π·πΈπ· π·πΈπ· π·πΈπ· π·πΈπ·
Aaww Willie, giggle with you being closer to the sun because of your height, love it.
DeleteWow! What a transformation, and to think that delightful cupboard was destined for the burn pile. Perfect for what you are using it for. But I do feel a draw could be left open for the fluffies in your life!π€π€£π€£ππ⬛
ReplyDeleteThanks Sue - yes I am delighted with how the cupboard turned out. Quite a bit of work but very much worth it. No Sue - a drawer will NOT be left open for the fluffies ... goodness knows, they would take over the entire thing if I let them ππΈπ
DeleteOf course this is the way of Cat Mom's! We would never deny the facts. And isn't always the way of the hubby's to criticize what they do not help in anyway to make. My crochet and embroidery, I no longer show off when finished! I think the chest came out beautifully and you are clever to make new feet for it. I'd not know where to start let alone come out with such a handsome piece. I can see you have your magic plant food stored in it. Great idea. At least Miss Pip has a shopping bag now that the chest is upright and full. Poor sweet skinny and unloved Blackie, lol. He'll be looking for a new place. We are having more cool weather and I am so grateful for it. Lynn and Precious XX
ReplyDeleteYou did a wonderful job on the furniture. It has a real 30s look to it.
ReplyDeleteIts' so nice of the cats to help. However would we get on without them?
Wow, Julie, you have transformed that piece of furniture into a thing of beauty! (It's also very useful, so that's an added bonus!) I hope Blackie will still be able to sleep on it sometimes... The tea towels look great too!
ReplyDeleteHave a lovely weekend and next week.
Best wishes
Ellie
El mueble es bien bonito y has realizado un magnΓfico trabajo de restauraciΓ³n y me encantan esos paΓ±os de cocina. BESICOS.
ReplyDeleteFrom Google translate ...
DeleteThe piece of furniture is really lovely, and you’ve done a magnificent restoration job—plus, I love those kitchen towels. Kisses!
Thank you so much Pili - that is so kind of you to say. Wishing you a lovely week. xx
DeleteYour cupboard turned out so beautiful Julie & yes I can see it has a 30's retro vibe to it. It would have been sinful to send it to the burning pile. You have worked so hard on it - well done! I also love your line up of tea towels on your door. Just so pretty. Sarah USA xx
ReplyDeleteThank you so much Sarah. I agree - I just could not bear to send it to the burning hole. I am thrilled with how its turned out. Have a lovely weekend Sarah. xx
DeleteBeautiful piece of furniture and a wonderful refinish. The ruffled tea towel is a very nice addition to the kitchen.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
Oh, Julie! That piece turned out incredibly beautiful!!!! Wow! What a labor of love it had to be. I love a good before and after too!!!
ReplyDeleteI love what your Mr. sent you about the cats. I giggled. I love that. Have a fantastic weekend. Hugs.
Thank you so much dear Chrissie. It sure was a labour of love but I am thrilled with how it turned out. xx
DeleteLove the wooden cabinet Julie. Perfect for garden tools…. The wood grain is beautiful too. Tea towels look wonderful and a fresh touch to the kitchen… look forward to seeing your festive styling xx
ReplyDeleteThank you Sandy - I am really pleased with how the cabinet turned out & also - really pleased it is all done now!! One more item ticked off the never ending list π xx
DeleteWhat a wonderful transformation of a classic art deco piece of furniture - that is amazing Julie!!
ReplyDeleteSo glad I am not the only one making worm tea ;)... and yes, of course you had to have furry supervision on a project like that.
Love your tea towels - so pretty, and of course the Mr can not dry his hands on them!!
Love that description of you and I as far as being ruled by cats goes... I have just had the ragdolls visiting/terrorising me for the weekend as the family were away - my ginger boy WAS NOT IMPRESSED, and fur flew at one point!
Blessings
Maxine
You did a wonderful job of transforming that tired old piece into a flash new piece of useful furniture. And I'm sure there are a few cats hairs included.
ReplyDeleteThat cupboard cleaned up so well! It's amazing what a bit of elbow grease and oil can do, saving it from the burning hole was definitely the right call. Blackie using it as a bed (and breaking the door in the process!) made me laugh. Love how the foot repair turned out, even if the dowels aren't an exact match
ReplyDeleteThank you so much Melody - you are so right, sometimes things just need a good lot of elbow grease & lots of love & care. xx
DeleteWow, what a transformation .... I love that you could see that something could be done to that dresser and how gorgeous it has worked out....
ReplyDeleteHugz
I LOVE your makeover!!! Once again you show the renovating genius mind within that lovely head of yours Julie. :-) Love a frilly tea towel on the oven door too...and girl, Cath Kidston. Ooh and aah. Biggest furry hugs from our Miss Sophie to Blackie - they have a lot in common. ;-)
ReplyDeleteOh I do love a frilly teatowel. This has reminded me of some specially acquired fabric to do this very thing. Heavens knows where I have this fabric, will go looking.Love the big piece of furniture, it looks awesome, Good drinks cabinet in there!!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful job you did on that cabinet! Also wonderful it is so heavy. I do love a good save!
ReplyDelete