Friday, February 17, 2017

Spare Bedrooms & Baby Showers

Greetings dear friends & readers & Good Friday Afternoon to you all !!

In early December, while cleaning the spare bedroom ready for Mums arrival, I decided to wash the blind that hung at the small top window
In hindsight, I should've left well alone .... as the blind fabric completely disintegrated in the wash, being so thin & rotten.
This called for a new blind !!!


I had long admired this gorgeous fabric at MyStyle called Bird Trail Grey.
As they had a reduction on their fabrics prior to Christmas I ordered the new blind to be made & it arrived just in time for Mums visit.
I was most delighted with my new blind but somehow Mum didn't seem to share my joy & enthusiasm & informed me "its just a blind Julie"

Recently MyStyle discounted their fabrics again, so I purchased another 1.5 metres of the same bird trail grey.
We have this old bookcase-kind-of-thingy in the spare bedroom ... truth be told, this was rescued (by yours truly) from one of the cowsheds we used to milk in !!!!

Upon rescuing it, I only ever scrubbed & oiled it, & it has lived in many rooms of our houses over the past 20 odd years - I find it perfect for storing craft magazines & my candle making supplies.
It is rather an ugly thing so I thought a curtain might help to pretty it up a bit .  .  .  .

.  .  .  . which I think I did achieve ??
As I had a length of leftover fabric, I decided to make a runner for the other dressing table in this room

Just the perfect length too.
I had finished this runner about a week ago & was doing my "walking past it for a day or two thing that I do"
I felt it needed an embellishment on the ends ... so off I trot to my local Patchwork shop, who luckily had the perfect pink bobble trim.
Upon decluttering the drawers in this dresser, I came across a lovely teatowel, a birthday gift from last year I seem to recall.
This teatowel was from Mystyle & was the exact same bird fabric ... so I fashioned my teatowel into a small plump cushion for the bed ...

And Yes - I added some pink bobble trim to the edges .  .  .
.  .  .  after all, it was far too pretty to dry dishes with !!!

I am pleased to report that Blackie has moved on from sleeping on my sewing room cutting board
Unfortunately I am NOT so pleased to report he has taken up residence on the ironing board !!!

Here he is two days ago, keeping my new in-progress tablerunner warm for me !!!

One of the things I love about blogging is that I look back on old posts & see I do the same sort of things throughout the different seasons .......
At the moment it is rose petal gathering & drying time again

I have large cane trays strewn with rose petals drying in my sleepout



I really enjoy making up batches of my cottage garden potpourri - some to send to friends & some to sell.
I purchased a new oil "rose geranium" & the scent is just gorgeous .... I filled a glass dish with some to fragrant my spare room & the smell wafts all through the house




My daughter in law's Mum & I are putting on a surprise Baby Shower for her this weekend
Nicole & Kaynes baby (son) is due late March.
Nicole's Mum (also called Julie) is organising the games for the baby shower so I offered to do up some prizes.
I packaged up soaps, candles, notebooks & facewashers from the Cottage & made up some matching labels



I also stitched up some handmade baby gifts to give to Nicole.
These little rattles are a pattern from Amy Sinibaldi's book Sweetly Stitched Handmades  
 ( one for Nicole, one for the Cottage )


Nicole mentioned she didn't have any winter cot sheets so I bought some soft flannelette & stitched some up .  .  .
.  .  . along with some flannel baby shoes made from the remnants of my buzzy bee fabric

My elderly friend Margaret lives in a retirement Village, & likes to buy items from me that she can keep in her cupboard in case she needs a gift in a hurry
These 10 lavender coathangers were an order for Margaret that I completed yesterday.
It was Margaret that ordered the 12 kitchen handtowels from me last Christmas in this post here

Last Tuesday was Valentines Day so I decided to make Apple Crumble - the Mr's favourite.
Unfortunately the stewed apples I took out of the freezer, turned out to be feijoa's when thawed  !!!
So I made feijoa & coconut cake instead & sprinkled icing sugar over a heart paper doiley 
The Mr informed me (as I knew he would !!!) that he would far rather have apple crumble than feijoa cake anyday !!!

As I rounded the corner at the end of my garden last weekend the lillies coming into bloom caught my eye
We have been lucky enough to have had some good rain this summer & they have lapped up the extra moisture


They smell gorgeous but I just cannot bare to cut them & bring them inside
It is raining again here today dear friends - I had a Resthome ring to cancel their visit & I was most relieved




So it has been a day for sitting at the table & stitching some projects while Miss Pippi tries her best to look cute & innocent.
(but we are not fooled by her & her antics!!!)
Wishing you a wonderful weekend dearest readers,
with much love & friendship to you all,
Julie & the furry ones x0x0x0

31 comments:

  1. Hi Julie,oh i love your new blind and what fun the baby shower will be,hope you have an awesome weekend my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness that fabric is just beautiful! That window looks beautiful, and the cupboard so sweet now. I just love what you have done!

    So very clever. Those baby things are lovely too.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma ... it has certainly brightened up the spare bedroom. I am so pleased with it all. Have a lovely weekend Emma. x x

      Delete
  3. HaHa! Made me chuckle...I have my 'pink' PC set up
    in my daughters old room. Which is painted blue in
    colour, hate it, the curtains though, l made made,
    back in 1978..yes, 1978. There Paddington Bear curtains.
    They have been washed on and off over the years, but,
    over the last decade, they've become a bit worn and
    weary! :). I dare'nt take them down, as much the same
    would happen in the wash...They would disintegrate!
    So..up there..they must stay!

    And..the furry ones, my George to love the ironing
    board, soon as l finished a sheet/pillowcase, up
    he's jump..."No! Not yet George..have'nt finished"
    And..Miss Pippi loves her basket..Bless!x What a
    poser...and you should know Willie..! HeHe! :).

    Rose petals look lovely to...Would'nt mind a few
    scattered around the bedroom..God knows why.....
    There pink for starters...!!! :).
    And the lilly's look lovely to...My Mum's favourite
    flower...Though in Sicily/Italy it is the flower
    of death...for funerals and all that!

    Lovely post Julie...I'm gonna go downstairs, make
    another lemon tea, and pop back for another look
    see...! =(^..^)=
    Please look after this bear.....Good old Paddington!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely fabric and that cake looks delicious - who would have thought a doilly and icing sugar could give such an impressive finish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The blind looks beautiful Julie as do the table runner and cushion, it is a very pretty fabric. Hee hee cats always choose the best place (for them) don't they!!The rose petals and oil must smell amazing! I hope the baby shower went well for you all...love the rattle and the sheets, the slippers are very cute. The coat hangers will make beautiful presents. Easy mistake feijoas and apple!! Lol!! I bet hubby still ate the cake!! The effect with the doily is beautiful.The lilys are beautiful...ah Miss Pippi!! Butter would not melt would it!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Julie, how cool is that blind, and everything else you made with that gorgeous fabric. I can almost smell the potpourri from here in Australia :-) lovely. Oh another little grandson coming, how wonderful for you all, gorgeous gifts you made.
    Wow men sure know exactly what to say (not). Have a great week Julie. Chris xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris ... really happy with the blind - its amazing what a difference it has made. I am trying not to go too crazy with the gorgeous birdy fabric !!! Hope you have a great week too Chris x x x

      Delete
  7. You're always such a busy, busy lady. I love the blind and all your wonderful matching creations.
    Adorable kitties, as always :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yvonne ... thats the good thing about blogging I find ... when it feels like you have done not much at all ... you look at your photos & you have achieved quite a bit in the week after all :-)

      Delete
  8. I now know what a 'feijoa' is... thank you (my spell checker doesn't like it either!) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh E.E. You had me thinking for a minute there .. thought maybe I had spelt it wrong & it was meant to be a "g" & not a J. Feijoa's are really lovely fruit - my son has a whole hedge of them so I get lots & stew them & freeze them. Happy weekend to you E.E.

      Delete
  9. Julie, everything you make is just exquisite. You are very talented. Your spare room looks pretty as a picture and will smell wonderful too. Enjoy the baby shower, I'm sure your gifts will be very well received.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your gorgeous birdie makeover. You are so clever! Enjoy your lovely baby shower....how exciting to be so close now. I can almost smell those drying rose petals xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous fabric, it makes such a pretty blind and I love how you've made so many coordinating things to go with it. Have fun at the baby shower xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gosh the blind sweet little curtain and runner look lovely in 'my room' :-).......fancy that 'its just a blind? I see that potpouri! mmmm so very nice. Lovely gifts for the baby shower. Pippi does look very content.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that you see the pretty potential in everything, Julie and you've certainly achieved that with your spare room (your Ma sounds like mine!!). The baby things are just adorable and obviously made with love for the impending birth day. Great to see around the place. Have a good weekend, Julie. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! That material is so lovely! Can't believe Mum said - it's only a blind! Ha! Brilliant adding the pom poms to the runner and the bed cushion. There certainly will be no wiping of dishes on such a pretty tea towel - imagine. Lovely presents for the baby shower - so exciting. The cats look well - they really do have a great life! Totally chilling!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Soooo much gorgeousness in this post, Julie. LOVE the new blind; what pretty fabric. I did chuckle at your mum's comment. I would be oohing and aahing if I were to visit you. What fun to have a baby shower. Love those baby rattles; actually love all the pretty things you fashioned. Your home must smell divine with the fragrance of those rose petals wafting through the air. Oh how sweet is Miss Pippi. Why is it that cat's always seem to look ever so comfortable in the strangest of positions. Have a lovely weekend, lovely lady.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such beautiful fabric you found for your bedroom makeover, Julie. I do love "Blackie" staking claim to your ironing board - he is giving you such a cheeky look when you caught him with your camera as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandi ... I do love that fabric & it is lovely to sew too. Unfortunately Blackie has not "moved on" as yet from the ironing board. He sits up there every night now like he is perched on top of a viaduct!!! If he should fall off, I would probably think we were having an earthquake!!!

      Delete
  17. That is not JUST A BLIND Julie that is a GORGEOUS blind. That fabric is beautiful. You have such a good eye for beautiful things. I must buy some of your potpourri next time I visit you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It’s a beautiful blind Julie! Mums do have a way with words don’t they? Your curtain works very well, and I love the runner and the pretty cushion. Blackie looks very comfy on the ironing board as does Miss Pippi in the basket. Cats always find the funniest places to sleep. Everything about this post is beautiful and I could happily comment on everything but then you would never get rid of me, so I will just say I love all the baby things, especially the little shoes.
    Have a lovely week, hugs Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara for stopping by to leave your lovely comment ... you are welcome to comment on everything ... I am so happy that you took the time to stop by x x x Hope you have a lovely week too xxx

      Delete
  19. a most wonderful post, lots of things made
    loved the furry ones antics too
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes those furry ones certainly do rule this roost Selina. Thank you x x

      Delete
  20. Oh, Julie! You make the loveliest things!
    The kitties are a crack up! Are they heavy? I'd want to scoop them up a hundred times a day!
    I love the curtain you made AND the blind! So pretty!
    Sending heaps of love your way, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your blind and table top runner the fabric is beautiful.And of course I love your coat hangers Julie as you know, I'm lucky to have 2 or 3 that I had bought for my Mum and now I have them. That cake looked yummy, what a shame to cut into it and spoil your icing sugar design.My lilies have given us a great show as well, they are really late this season. Hugs Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your blind Julie. The fabric is so pretty. The curtain covered cupboard is wonderful too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Newsy interesting post Julie!! It's always lovely to visit and see what you've been up to!

    ReplyDelete
  24. A new baby is like the beginning of all things - wonder, hope, a dream of possibilities.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, & thank you for taking the time to comment on my posts - I read and appreciate each and every one of your comments :-)
I always prefer to reply to your comments by email unless you are a no-reply-blogger in which case I will reply to your comments in this section here. Thanks so much for stopping by to read & comment on my blog x0x