Greetings dear friends & readers
I used to have this old wooden fireplace mantle in my Craft Cottage - it was ideal for display purposes.
When I no longer needed it, I moved it to a corner of my deck area - under cover, but still exposed to the elements.
It was time to do something with it before it got ruined.
I dragged it against a wall in my lounge - I had always had ideas of bringing it in here but wasn't sure where to put it
as I seem to have cluttered my lounge up as there was rather limited space in my lounge!!! 😉
You can see from the pics above, the top was in a bad state of repair.
I always Loved the centre detailing, so I added a couple of scrolls that I had in my stash - removed from an old Singer Sewing Machine Drawer.
I sanded the top & filled any gaps & then gave it 3 generous coats of Voodoo Molly Vintage Chalk Paint in the colour "Vintage White"
I waxed the whole thing with clear wax & then after watching This Video Here I applied a coat of dark wax, rubbed it off & then another coat of clear wax.
I love the slightly aged, antique patina it gave to the detailing.
Then I lightly scuffed the edges of the whole mantle with sandpaper.
I have positioned it against my feature wall as I love the effect of it against the wallpaper & when it was against the cream painted wall - it just looked lost.
I have been working on something to go in front of my mantle - I hope to share this with you in my next post.
When I stood back to admire my new/old fireplace mantle I decided I no longer liked the grey frame
The frame had originally been gold & I had painted it with Grey Chalk Paint 3 years ago.
I had some leftover Resene Test Pot in the colour Pale Rose so I applied this over the grey & immediately loved it 💗
Incidently in case you may think all these painting projects are so simple & easy .... I took these snaps to show you just how tricky it can get around here at times ... especially when there's a paint pot out & a certain inquisitive
4 legged ginger critter !!!
Invariably she ends up with the odd patch of colour on her !!!
These two stools were looking shabby - they had been painted/upcycled by me well over 4 years ago now.
The paper doilies that I had modpodged on the tops were lifting & discoloured - stained by cups of tea & the odd
glass of red wine !!!
After a quick google search I found that you can remove old modpodge by soaking well in warm water - I tried this & found it worked fairly well. A good sand afterwards & the remainder of the doiley & glue had gone.
I gave both stools a fresh coat of paint & then decided to stencil onto them with my new bee stencil.
I wanted a dark grey colour but had none so I mixed up small amounts of white & black chalk paints until I was happy with the shade.
Ooohhhh how great they look !!! 💕
Two coats of wax to each stool & now they will be wipeable & much more hard wearing.
There has been quite a bit of painting/upcycling going on here at Threadbear HQ.
I hope to be back soon with another update post.
Wishing you all a wonderful week dear friends - thanks so much for your visits here
With much love & friendship to you all,
Julie & the furry ones x0x0x0