Thursday, September 3, 2026

Welcome to September ~ (& Spring 🌻)

Greetings lovely friends & readers


Welcome to the arrival of Spring down here at the bottom of the world  πŸ’—

Last Monday, the very last day of August, marked 3 years since my dear Mum left this world..  I picked flowers, burnt a candle & played her favorite Topp Twins songs all day long.  Hard to believe it is 3 years.



 The arrival of spring has not seen any improvement in our temperatures & it is still chilly here.  These two have                                        started tucking up together again after a period of hissing & spitting at each other.

Last Friday Alec (Taupo Grandson) had a teacher-only-day & as his parents both had appointments in Hamilton, he got dropped off here for the day.  He had texted me & asked if he could bring his friend Jaxon for the day.  Yes of course.  We went into town briefly as I had some things to collect & then bought pizzas on the way home & had a movie-&-pizza-lunch.  


In an attempt to get them off their devices I told them We are going to make candles (!!) Gail had given me a box of glassware that was being thrown out from the Op-shop where she volunteers.  I got them to choose a glass each, insert the wick, heat the soy wax in the microwave, choose a fragrance (this was interesting - Alec chose lemon, Jaxon chose rose) & then pour the wax in.  Once it began to set we pressed some lavender flowers into the tops.  Here they are removing the wick holders.  I've forgotten to get a photo of them both with their finished articles but they were chuffed to be able to take home a gift for their Mums.  


When I went away to my sewing retreat last June, I wrote about my thrifted finds in * this post *  
I'd done nothing with the wooden mirror (blue arrow) as I couldn't find a space for it in my entire home, being that it was a freestanding mirror & not a wall mirror. 
 I decided to bring in a bow-front china cabinet that I had out in my cottage ... I'd been tossing up this idea for awhile & thought it would look great with the mirror as it was the same wood.  
While Alec & Jaxon were here I got them to help me carry it over (to be honest they were no help whatsoever but we did try)

I removed a half round table from this space & the cabinet fit perfectly.  I soon filled it with china from my home.  I'd also removed a ladder that displayed some quilts on it awhile ago, washed the quilts & I folded some & stacked in the bottom shelf - I thought they looked good.  



The Oak mirror fit perfectly on the top along with the velvet chatelaine I made in * this post *.  I tied some matching velvet ribbons around my candles & was so happy with the end result.
Candle holders thrifted back in this post.  I'm pleased I didn't give them the rust treatment like I'd intended.

This bow-front cabinet came from my sister in law - she no longer wanted it & I got it not long before I closed my craft cottage.
  It is wonderful to finally be enjoying it & I am so glad I bought it into the house.  


There has not been a lot of crafting going on but I do enjoy my dishcloth knitting & the pile continues to grow, which will be handy leading up to Christmas as I love to tuck these into gift packages.


It's nice to have some handwork in the evenings & I fussy cut these Tilda fabrics from last Christmas & made into some felt decorations.  These are nice tucked into a Christmas card.  I absolutely loved this Tilda Christmas fabric range.

A couple of years ago I purchased some pre-painted panels from Barb Smith of Theodora Cleave.  This one I made into a stocking, backed with some gorgeous Tilda & I sewed one of the painted birds into a label for my stocking.  I enjoy these simple projects.


I have a wee tale about a cat named Mittens.   Two years ago in * this post * Alec's parents rescued a tiny kitten from a roadside & gave her a home - Alec named her Lexie.  Lexie has grown but has remained quite skitterish & a very nervous cat so Sarah thought she would get another cat/kitten for Lexie to have a friend.   The family went to the local SPCA & chose this cat named Allie, bought her home with all her paperwork & settled her in.   A week later the SPCA rang them & said we've given you the wrong paperwork - that cat you have is called Mittens & was found abandoned in Taumaranui.   Goodness me!!  Of course they kept her as they'd fallen in love with her but its been quite a long road to settle her & finally - Lexie has accepted her & they've become "mostly friends." 

Sarah sent me through this photo two nights ago of them both on the chair by the fire.  That is Lexie in front & Mittens in the back.  How wonderful - hopefully as time goes by, they will become very-good-friends.


Thank you as always dear friends, for your welcome visits here today,
I am off next week on a short trip across the pond so I will catch up with all your posts upon my return,
Remember to be kind to yourselves & to each other,
Sending much love & friendship to you all,



18 comments:

  1. Lovely that the boys were excited to gift their own candles to their mums. You can't beat handwork in the evenings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! Bless! Lovely 'happy' post to comment on...! :).
    Starting with the two most lovely furry pussy~cats
    in Blog~land....HeHe! :O)xx

    And the boys are enjoying their eating and drinking......
    The kids over here are back at school, some to~day
    and some tomorrow, so it's a bit quieter at the mo...
    Though the kids, playing, shouting or fighting, never
    bothers me..HeHe! As long as they let me join in...:O).

    Your old glass cabinet brought back memories, l had
    Mia Mama's for some years, but, it was a bit big, so l
    finished up giving to a friend, and a friend of Mia Mama..
    She still has it, and loves it...!

    And, a lovely 'happy' story about Mittens...HeHe! Bless!xx
    It's lovely when pussy~cats come together, though sometimes,
    not quite so...Bless!

    The the dishcloths make me chuckle, when you first showed them
    Julie, l really liked them, so much, so, my daughter made me an
    assortment of four..(4)...pinky ones...they looked lovely, l pinned
    them up on the kitchen wall....AND...AND...there still there to this
    day...Well...They look to nice to use...! :O).

    I was going to comment on the big, black bowl looking thing, in front
    the mirror....HeHe! Thought...I'd better not..Bless!

    I'll creep away quietly...Don't wanna wake the furry two up...Bless! xx
    πŸ€πŸŒΈπŸŒ·πŸ˜ΊπŸ’™πŸ€πŸŒΈπŸŒ·πŸ˜ΊπŸ’™πŸ€πŸŒΈπŸŒ·πŸ˜ΊπŸ’™πŸ€πŸŒΈπŸŒ·πŸ˜ΊπŸ’™πŸ€πŸŒΈπŸŒ·

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cabinet looks lovely filled with your special pieces. The quilts folded up to enjoy. The mirror is perfect on top. Love all things Christmas xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much dear Sandy. I am so pleased I bought the cabinet inside to enjoy. Have a lovely weekend Sandy xx

      Delete
  4. Is it really three years since your Mum passed away? Gosh time sure does go fast, I've lost track of how long my parents have been gone. What a cool day you created for the boys. Did they stay off their devices? Very tricky these days. You've been busy creating some beautiful things. A lovely story about the two cats, nice they both have a loving home, just like your Three Fur Balls. Happy days!

    ReplyDelete
  5. “Oh gosh I adore all the cats in your family! Julie, that cabinet brought back memories of Nana's tiny flat that I grew up in. The one she had was her pride and joy, and filled with special things she'd collected or been gifted (by me) - some valuable, and others not, but every one had a story and a smile.

    Take care on your trip across the pond...if only it was up here to say hi and share a cuppa. ((hugs))”

    ReplyDelete
  6. "the cabinet & mirror looks great, lovely of the boys to make candles & give them to their mums & Awww mittens is gorgeous".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julie, saw your blog and of course enjoyed it. Blogger is not letting me post comments on any blog. Willie sent me an email early this morn and I thanked him. I thought it was just me but it is all of Blogger folks I guess. One of them posted a link to which we could click on to let Google know we are unhappy today.
    Glad the boys made the candles for their moms. Underneath that "manliness" they were glad they did.
    Hope those 2 kitties get along as well as Miss Pip and Blackie some day.
    And you are busy sewing while it is still not really Spring yet.
    I did get 2 scarves crocheted during this horrible summer. This week it has been back to 35 C every day after last weeks cool down. They predict a bit of rain tonight and that will bring a week ahead of slightly cooler. No biking for me for a few days.
    Just can't stand it to be so humid and hot at 7:30 in the morn.
    65 Butterflies have hatched and flown. Down to feed only 12 pillars. But there are at least 30 Chrysalis hanging in two cages also. Running out of milkweed spots as this time year the state, county and townships all start mowing down the berms and ditches. Cutting down plants that actually have eggs and pillars on them! And then the word is to try to save the Monarch. Well, don't let me get started, lol.
    Lynn and Precious XX 😸😸😸🌞

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great use of the glassware - and a great way to entertain two young boys! That cabinet is gorgeous and the mirror sits perfectly atop it. Love that you have some quilts in there too - nice that they are still on display even though folded away. Enjoy your trip - I hope it is for pleasure! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Precious was very glad to see you made it thru the wall of silence. She figured all her blogging was for naught, lol.
    She could not go out this morn as we had a unbelievable thunder and lightening storm at 5 and brought us just 3/10
    inch in 2 hours. She sat and watched and gave me the evil eye as this was my doing just like googly blogger yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a lovely post, Julie. The cabinet looks perfect there and shows off your collections beautifully. We lost our Mum three years ago too - I do sympathise. I don't know where that time has gone either! How lovely of you to provide a gift for the boys' mums - I expect they were very surprised and pleased to receive them. That was a lovely story about Mittens too and she does look very much at home in front of the fire with Lexie.
    Have a lovely craft-filled week.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely post Julie, I like what you have done with the cabinet and mirror. Well done to get the boys off their devices, not easy. Great to hear they made their candles, I bet their Mums were pleased. Great to see the cats happy together, even if only to enjoy the fire! Nice to see the other family cats coping with each other too. Enjoy your trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely time you had with Alex and Jaxon - who would have thought that they would have enjoyed candle making!!
    Aren't cats funny - hissing and spitting one day - cuddled up together the next!
    Loving your china cabinet - I also have one - the mirror looks perfect yours! A great match.
    Some weeks we can get lots done, craft-wise, and other weeks not so... your dish cloths, ornaments and stockings all look lovely.
    So glad Alex's cats are beginning to get on together, and hopefully mittens will help settle Lexie more.
    Enjoy your trip away
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  13. I miss my little crafting days with the grandchildren. The eldest is going off to Uni next week! I'm desperately trying to hold it together! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't believe it has been 3 years since you lost your dear mum. Glad you got some time with your grandson. The grandcats look sweet together.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope you're enjoying your trip across the pond! I wonder what your furry ones have been up to in the meanwhile. I love the boys making candles for mom, these are the things kiddos remember when they're all grown up.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I bet the boys had fun making the candles. Lovely Christmas decorations. I still haven't touched any of my Christmas Tilda yet. Lexie and Mittens look quite cosy in front of the fire. Well, I've finally caught up with all your news Julie. I'll really try to not be so long between visits in future! xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. The boys must have been very excited to have a gift for their Mom's. I am still trying to get the garden in, but at least things seem to be a bit more manageable now as a few things are done. Household tasks took up lots of time, but right now I am knitting toques for Kurt's school and have managed 7 so far this month. Hope to get 10 of the smallest size completed by the end of the month.
    You always have such lovely crafts and decorating going on.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, & thank you for taking the time to comment on my posts - I read and appreciate each and every one of your comments :-)
I always prefer to reply to your comments by email unless you are a no-reply-blogger in which case I will reply to your comments in this section here. Thanks so much for stopping by to read & comment on my blog x0x