Monday, March 27, 2017

Sewing (& Waiting) for Baby

Rainy Monday Greetings dear friends & readers

Last weekend I came across my scribbled list of all the things I wanted to make for my soon-to-be-born grandson, 
& flew into a bit of a panic
Verrry little time ...... still lots to make !!!!


When my friend Sally gifted me the gorgeous Peter Rabbit fabric above, I immediately knew I wanted to make a Baby Bag & then fill it with some handmade goodies

A quick google search for diaper bag patterns & I came across this one here that I really liked .... a decent size & not too fussy.


The bag came together quite easily - I tried to use what I had on hand & not have to purchase anything.
The green polka dot was a perfect complimentary lining fabric & I had lots of help from a certain quality control officer to ensure my measurements were all accurate !!!


The bag is fully lined & you can add as many inner pockets as you like

I purchased a few baby care products from my supermarket to tuck into the pockets.
The one change I made was, instead of using fusible interfacing for the bag I used some thin wadding I had - I find the fusible interfacing too rigid & prefer the wadding which is more pliable.
Of course - a label to complete the bag.

Recently while on an outing to Rotorua I popped into Spotlight & purchased some flannelette on sale
While chatting to the lady as she cut my fabrics for me, I asked her for some white towelling please to make bibs.
She leaned ever-so-slightly across the counter & whispered to me "go over there to those bins, buy a white bathtowel for $5 - its much cheaper & thicker than the towelling & you will get 6 big bibs out of one towel"


I was so very grateful & after a wash, it certainly did come up thick & fluffy
Another quick google search for free bib patterns & I used this simple one here
Bibs still waiting to be ironed

Whilst filling the bag with gifts - including the blanket & wheatie I made Here, I decided I wanted to make a little plastic zipped pouch for putting any wet clothes/nappy's etc into

I used the pouch gifted to me by my friend Claire in this post, as a guide
The pouch is fully lined with the plastic - the tiny Peter Rabbit print just seemed the perfect match for the bag & the cute animal bias binding came from my local woolshop


front of pouch                                                                                                          back of pouch

Frequently on my trawls through the Op Shops I come across half rolls of wallpaper for 50c - this pale blue was one such find.
I used it to sew up a giant gift bag to sit the Diaper Bag in with all the smaller parcels wrapped inside it


Ready & Waiting & now we just need baby boy to come into the world !!!

In my last post I mentioned how I had visited my friend Elaine right in the midst of a de-clutter
This tray below was one of several items that came home with me ....

I gave it a paint with my cottage cream wall paint, then I lightly sprayed the cane part of it as I find this gives better coverage than brushing ever does
My plan had been to find some pretty floral paper serviettes & then mod podge the flowers scattered over the tray
However, I had neither the time, inclination, nor funds to go traipsing around trying to find just the right paper serviettes .  .  .
 .  .  .  so the tray sat abandoned for a week


Yesterday whilst rustling through a drawer, I came across a lovely piece of scrapbooking paper - pretty vintage squares which I cut out & decided to display as a bunting across the tray
I mod-podged them on along with a small flat vintage lace to "string them together"
I was thrilled with the result & now just have to decide whether the tray is going for sale in the Cottage .  .  .  or going on display in Julie's house!!!!

Thank you so much for your entries into my pincushion giveaway & your lovely comments you left me.
I am not drawing this til the end of the month so you still have time if you would like to enter.
You can leave me a comment on my last post, or on this one here letting me know.
Finally dear readers, although we are full swing into autumn here now, my lovely planted suitcase is still flowering merrily away on my deck - it has done so well this year


Lobellia & Impatiens (busy Lizzies)

Wishing you suitcases overflowing with flowers this week
With much love & friendship,
Julie & the furry ones x0x0x0

23 comments:

  1. Younare so clever with your idea Julie, that is a fantastic gift formthe new baby and the babies Mum!!! She will be delighted. Very clever use of the wall paper, I haven't seen that done before. Not many people seem to use wall papaer over here. I had a chuckle over that tray, my Mum went to cane making classes and she has many like that in her house, it looks beautiful now!! I bet if it goes into the Cottage it will be snapped up quick. Your flowering suitcase looks beautiful, good to see the supervisor is on the job and not snoozing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like Pippi's measurements are spot on! The bag looks fabulous........luck wee soon to be born baby. The pouch is a great idea as babies sure go through the clothes when they are little. Nice tray makeover........it might be a keeper for you unless someone sees it on your blog and snaps it up! Your lobellia looks much more healthier than mine, mine is looking like a drowned cat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Waiting for a baby to arrive is hard, but probably even harder for your daughter in law! You have made some beautiful things for her and baby, very spoiled. What is it with cats and being helpful? NOT! Toebee tries to help when I am on the internet, walking over the key board all the time. That little suitcase is blooming gorgeous Julie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being a Beatrix fan I just love your beautiful Peter Rabbit bag. Such a lovely gift with all those goodies waiting for your little one to arrive. I,love your tray...you are so clever! A suitcase full of blooms...gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! My! Julie....With help from the furry
    one, you've certainly got on in leaps and
    bounds..and, all looking lovely!
    Had to chuckle, l've still got a couple
    of my daughters bibs, in a draw somewhere.
    I have quite a few things tucked away still,
    even some of her knitted things! My favourite
    is a pink knitted 'jump suit', with pink bobbles
    all over it..! Goodness! Memories! :).

    And, the flowers look lovely to..but, then your
    flowers always look lovely! Nice array of colour!
    I expect they smell nice to!

    Spring is up and running over here, cut the grass
    last Tues, out the back, will be cutting the front
    a bit later to~day! Sun's out, and, getting warmer!
    Another lemon tea, and toast, and, l shall be ready
    to tackle that job!

    So...I expect you and the family are all excited,
    waiting...hope it'll be soon now, my goodness!
    I remember when my daughter was born...oooooO!
    Long time ago now!
    God bless! 'Keep on sewing'....! :0).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous gift for the nearly-newborn - how exciting to be so close to welcoming a new family member into the world :-) And all bits and pieces the new parents will find extremely handy, too. That modge-podge sure is great stuff - I've never played with it but have seen what you are able to do with it and it looks amazing - as does your cane tray! We're feeling very autumnlike these days too - but this afternoon was stinking hot - bring back autumn I say!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The suitcase is gorgeous!
    Your grandson is going to have lovely accessories for his babyhood! The bag is brilliant! How smart to include a bag for wet things!
    The tray is beautiful! I love bunting and never tire of that look.
    Kitty help is a given, isn't it?
    Have a nice week, dearest❤.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another grandson, how exciting! And what a lovely Granny you are :) I love reading your posts. When I was 10 I did a project about New Zealand at school, I remember writing in it about "Rotorua" and it seemed like this magical mystical far off place. I still can't get used to you going "oh I just popped the Rotorua the other day" for me you may as well be saying Narnia, that's how magical it seems. Hope you have a lovely week, Jillx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness, Peter Rabbit - I have a soft spot for him! wishing the new baby a safe and speedy arrival

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're such a good Granny, Julie. That baby is so very lucky in a lot of respects. Safe journey to him. I love that tray! When my Uncle emigrated to NZ many,many moons ago, he started off in Rotorua. He told me it always smelled of rotten eggs because of the geysers! I think he was only kidding!xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. You put me to shame Julie with all your sewing and crafting! Love everything you have made for bubs, he will be one lucky boy with a Nana like you!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many cute things for the coming baby.. he will look very nice in all those cute stuffs..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Julie, wow you have been a busy bee, what gorgeous gift for your new grandson, and love the tray, but my favourite this week would have to be your flowering suitcase, so pretty, have a great week Julie, hope your grandson arrives safely soon. Chris xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh exciting times, and such lovely gifts I can see how much he is loved already! Love the cane basket it's amazing what a coat of paint can do but you always seem to add that extra finishing touch that makes them extra special:O)
    Enjoy the rest of your week

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Julie wow what wonderful gifts you have made for the new baby,how exciting for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, you talented lady!
    I love the bag and all its accessories.
    The tray is perfect too.
    You must be so excited for the new arrival :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOVE the nappy bag!! Girl, you have been so productive. I too did the white towel thing when my last two grandbabies were born...another wonderful use for those towels are over the shoulder burp pads. My girls swore by them as essential and brilliant. :-)
    Keep the tray! Or sell it to me. LOL!!! Gorgeous. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. The bag and all the goodies look wonderful. Love the Beatrix Potter fabric, I think everyone would have a soft spot for her.Best wishes for your new family member to come. The flowers look beautiful and so does the tray you revamped. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  19. I remember trays like this from my childhood! Great job refurbishing it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I definitely think that beautiful tray should stay with you. It is very sweet. Love all the pretties you have made. Gorgeous bag and what sweet Peter Rabbit fabric. Oh how pretty your suitcase of flowers is; it has put a smile in my day, lovely Julie.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The top fabric brought back a flood of memories it is what I used to decorate our sons room nearly 21 years ago... curtains and cot cover.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dear Julie delightful and inspiring as always. What about a christening gown for the lace or perhaps they are no longer in fashion. Always waiting for your next blog with anticipation.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, & thank you for taking the time to comment on my posts - I read and appreciate each and every one of your comments :-)
I always prefer to reply to your comments by email unless you are a no-reply-blogger in which case I will reply to your comments in this section here. Thanks so much for stopping by to read & comment on my blog x0x