Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Craft Central Station !!



Greetings dear friends & readers!
I have only just turned my calendars over & here it is October 9th already!!


The days are slipping by in the blink of an eye with much creativity going on here at Threadbear.
I have successfully managed to make a mess in almost every room of my house & every single surface is covered in craft related pursuits!
The Mr commented it is beginning to look like "Craft Central Station" around here, but with only one month til my Christmas Market Stall, there is no time to relax!


I decided it was time to do something with the teeny tiny hexies I bought from the Op Shop last July in this post

I had long wanted to make up these tiny Christmas bags - a pattern by DeCuyper Trading Co called 
"Spirit of the Season pocket ornaments"

I made 3 gingerbread men & 3 snowmen to fill my bags ... you can see the size of them by the tape measure I have pinned to my photo ... they very nearly sent me cross eyed with their size!!
I am going to scent my wee "men" with some cinnamon & clove oils.

I tied 2 cinnamon sticks together & added some greenery & pip berries.  My friend Sally-the-florist is getting me some sphagnum moss to pop in the bottom of each bag.



Last week I sat at the table & made another batch of fabric Christmas trees ... I have made these in past years & they always go very well.  They are just sewn using fabric remnants from my stash, a cinnamon stick tree trunk & I also scent these with clove oils.



Along with the stitching, there has been a bit of painting going on here ......

This orange chippy chair was hauled out of the back of my sleep out - yet another Op Shop treasure!
I gave it 3 coats of cream wall paint (Resene Clotted Cream), however when I went to sand/distress it - as I did consider might happen - the orange paint showed through in lots of places.


I was disappointed but as time was against me, I decided to simply embrace the orange & found some doileys & linens in my stash with red & orange colourings in them



I made a chair pad using these colours & tied it with some satin ribbons to the sides of the chair



Then I mod podged some paper doiley hearts to the chair back


I am thrilled with my chippy upcycled chair now 💖



Sally very kindly gifted me a wooden magazine rack ... again I have forgotten to take a before photo!
I loved the little heart cut outs in each end!
Over the weekend, in the spring sunshine I gave it 3 coats of cream wall paint & then a light distress.
I mod podged doileys onto each side & end, & then pasted some Cath Kidston wallpaper to the inside base of it.

This is going for sale at my November stall.


I finished painting/distressing a dark wooden mahogany table for my friend Gail.
Then I washed up all my paintbrushes & gear & have put it away til after my market stall.

Last Thursday when Sid came for the day I decided to make him a sandpit
I tipped all my rolls of ribbons out of this plastic container & then filled it with some leftover sand that I knew 
we had down in the depot yard.

The little wooden stool he is sitting on & the wooden tray to his left are both Op Shop purchases - destined to be upcycled, but somewhat delayed at this stage due to His Lordship finding them quite perfect for his toys!!! 😉

Thanks so much for your visits today dear friends,
I hope the week is good to you all ... be kind to yourselves & to each other,
With much love & friendship to you all,
Julie & the furry ones x0x0x0

20 comments:

  1. Little Sid looks like his having a grand old time. Love your trees and pockets for your stall, those ginger men are so sweet, I can imagine the clove scent on the trees, love them x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely comment Cheryl. Yes Sid loves his little sandpit & I ended up having to sit opposite him on an upturned bucket & "play trucks too" !

      Delete
  2. All the Christmas bags are very cute and innovative. Love them. I'm traveling in New Hampshire now, by the time I'll reach home it'll be mid of the month!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely comment Krishna. Have a wonderful trip away!

      Delete
  3. Love the Christmas bags & trees, they are so cute. The chair & the magazine rack are gorgeous. Sid sure looks happy with his mini sandbox. Hugs,xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are able to put together the prettiest things. I wish I could come visit you at your booth. It will be the prettiest one there seeing all your makes. You have a good eye and patient hands. Those little teeny tiny gingerbread men and snowmen are adorable. You're an inspiration Julie. ♥
    xx Beca

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Julie boy i sure do love the things you make ,such gorgeous xmas items. How happy does Sid look in his sandpit xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Once again Julie your waving your magic wand,
    and producing some lovely items for Christmas!
    The Ginger bread men and snowmen are lovely!
    And the Christmas bags look great...If you've
    everything scattered about, l bet the furry ones
    are having a field day, with Miss Pippi giving
    lots of help..Bless!xx

    And,..you've worked wonders with the chair,
    finishing off with a lovely cushion..I think
    every chair should have a cushion..! :).

    And..little Sid looks as tough he's having a
    field day, kids certainly love to play with
    sand, looks like he's got a lot going on, to
    busy for a pose..! :).

    7:30 over here..time for a bathroom visit, another
    lemon tea tea first me thinks..and, a wander into
    town later..coffee at Costa...! Job done! 😸 😻

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Julie! YOU are so productive! I wish I could come to the Christmas market stall.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Every picture I see, every post I read ... you inspire me, so thank you. I read somewhere yesterday how many Saturday's are left until Christmas and that made it seem oh so close!! We are busy gearing up here for Festival of Quilts which is also just around the corner. Grandma duties look rather delightful. Enjoying some sunshiny, warmer days here in Northland which is rather nice. Big hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have made lots of beautiful things for your stall Julie, I am sure they will sell quickly. I am sure those bags and trees smell amazing. Sid looks so happy and busy with his sand pit. You sure work your magic with the furniture pieces you repurpose.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I would love to come to your market stall Julie, brings back memories for me of the Christmas markets we did so so many years ago, I do miss it, all your makings are sure to sell well. The chair looks wonderful, as does the table and magazine rack. Lucky Sid, great idea for a sand pit, when not in use you can pop the lid on and keep the cats out😊Have a great week. Chris xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Julie, Those hexies are just great for those little bags! I love the Christmas tree ornies also and the chair turned out beautiful. I love to see lace and doilies used on things. The sandbox gave me an idea that might be useful for our little great granddaughter! Hope you have a good craft show! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute, cute, cute.....those sweet little hexie bags, those Christmas trees, fabulous magazine racks.......! Such a fabulous job in tarting up that orange (yikes) chair. =) Everything you did to gussy it up looks so pretty....even the bit of that colour peeking through. How sweet Sid looks playing in his sandpit. He has the look of a very happy and contented child. Have I told you before how I wish I could turn up at your stall before it opens and buy everything and whisk all those pretties away??? I thought I had. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. it doesn't need to be fancy to keep kids busy! sand is the best thing all that exploring texture, playing with it dry then wet, making sandcastles and then drawing in wet sand - I almost want to go and do some myself!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Catching up on some blogs and Oh my you have been busy, you are like one of Santas little Elves!! Toiling away making your treasures, I think I need one of your fabric Xmas trees now. Sid is one lucky wee man to have you, I love your sandpit, I would happily play with that too, hahaha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I love the chair pad made with old doilies. I was gifted some during the week and this would be a lovely way to use them. You are so clever! I would like to make some of the sweet Xmas trees too. They would make lovely little gifts. Thank you for such lovely ideas! Meg☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely comment Meg. I think re using the doilies is such a great idea = it gives them a second life again!

      Delete
  16. My goodness you have been busy -- I love all your Christmas stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your lovely comment! Yes I have been busy but the weeks are going by fast & it will soon be the Fair .... this year seems to be flying by super fast!

      Delete

Hello, & thank you for taking the time to comment on my posts - I read and appreciate each and every one of your comments :-)
I always prefer to reply to your comments by email unless you are a no-reply-blogger in which case I will reply to your comments in this section here. Thanks so much for stopping by to read & comment on my blog x0x