Greetings lovely friends & readers
I found an old can of spray paint in the sleepout over the weekend called Mulled Wine, so I sprayed the jugful of hydrangeas that I picked for my bedroom in * this post *.
Though I've not taken a before photo, they had faded & gone brown. I'm really happy with how they've turned out.
There is to be a new baby girl welcomed into our family next month when The Mr becomes a Great Grandfather !!
His eldest daughter has 4 children & her only son Joseph is to become a father.
The Mr's eldest children are just under 10 years younger than myself so when these Grandchildren first came along I was only 35 & still parenting my own sons. The Grandchildren called me Aunty Julie, & I was more than happy to play this role in their lives.
I've always had a special affinity for Joseph so when I learned he & his fiancee' are to become parents I wanted to create a handmade package to send to them.
The first gifts I made were the 2 bibs above right, backed with towelling, & then I purchased a metre of double-sided muslin & sewed a pair of wraps. I knitted 2 washcloths in soft organic cotton.
I had a metreage of soft flannelette in my stash so I hemmed it all to make a cot sheet, or a wrap. I washed it first as it felt like it had dressing in it.
It's true colour is not showing up today, it is the softest pale grey with yellow moons & stars on it. I did Not knit the booties, purchasing these from my local baby shop instead.
I'd had this leftover length of pure wool blanket in my stash for awhile now - I always loved the muted tones of brown & pink in it.
I cut out a large cot size & hand blanket stitched the raw edges, keeping the machine sewn edges where I could. I unpicked the blanket label from the remnants, & attached this to one corner.
You can see where my 3 pins are that there were 3 tiny holes I needed to cover. I sewed the heart from some Doctors Flannel fabric that I had on hand, machine sewing the words & then making a tucked frill around the edge using a pale pink cotton with teddy bears on it.
I machine stitched 3 crochet motifs to the lower edge after I'd sewn the heart over the tiny holes. On the back I hand embroidered lazy daisies to cover the holes (I've forgotten to take a pic)
The heart did a great job of covering the holes. I also handstitched a crochet butterfly to this. To be honest this was very much a make-it-up-as-you-go-along kind of project.
Here it is spread out on my bed in the afternoon sun. I thought this would be a great blanket even for putting on the floor when the baby is lying there, having a kick. I'd handwashed the blanket first so it felt very soft & snuggly.
I knitted a top-knot baby hat using * this free pattern * & some pure merino wool already in my stash. Finally to use up the last of the blanket scraps I made a bunny & put a tiny rattle in its tummy which was so gentle The Mr could not even hear it (!!)
I purchased 2 merino singlets & then I packaged it all up in a white box, ready to post. It all fit perfectly with the pink blanket on top.
The baby shower was last Sunday & although invited, I was unable to attend. But my package arrived in time & I received the loveliest message from the couple thanking me & saying how toasty warm their new baby girl will be with all the cosy items I sent them.
On my trip south to visit my friend Sandy last month my only purchase were these Cath Kidston coasters, as I just had hand luggage so very limited space.
A friend was listing some items on Facebook Marketplace last week & I asked her if I could buy the tray before she listed it. I was thrilled as this was also Cath Kidston.
My daughter-in-law Sarah gifted me a box of 4 coffee mugs for my birthday so I decided to clean out my mug cupboard as it was getting rather full.
These 3 handle-less mugs were pushed in the back of the cupboard, they are GreenGate ware - but I prefer a mug with a handle, so I decided to make some candles up into them as they were so pretty. The fragrance is Black Raspberry & Vanilla - VeRy lovely ❤️
This table scape is giving me all the spring vibes.
The potted cyclamen was gifted by a young Moto X rider after I did some mending for her. And the felt daisies were a birthday gift from my friend Carolyn 🌼🤍💚 Roll on Spring !!
Another book recommendation dear readers - a lovely light read but very enjoyable. I'd seen a lady recommend it on Instagram & was able to get it from my local Library.
Thank you as always dear friends, for your ever welcome visits here today,
And thank you for your sweet, kind comments on my furry family in my last post - I am pleased to report they are all doing much better.
Sending much love & friendship to you all,

-fotor-20260813132714.jpg)
-fotor-20260813132728.jpg)
-fotor-20260813132631.jpg)
-fotor-20260813132619.jpg)
-fotor-20260813132644.jpg)




-fotor-20260813132656.jpg)
-fotor-2026081216724.jpg)
-fotor-2026081216648.jpg)



Lovely gifts.
ReplyDeleteThe gifts for the new baby are BEAUTIFUL! Clever makeover of the wool blanket. I love the pink beanie you knitted, I think I have that pattern? Does this make you a 'great Aunty' now? Until you mentioned the daisies on your table display, I thought they were real!
ReplyDeleteHow gorgeous are your gifts! 💝
ReplyDeleteThank you so very much. xx
DeleteLovely gifts for the new baby girl, so thoughtful. I bet those candles smell delicious! xx
ReplyDeleteWow, Julie! I do say that a lot, don't I, but it's hardly surprising given your beautiful projects. How special that all those things were made or curated with love. The new baby is very lucky. Congratulations to all.
ReplyDeleteThe candles look perfect in their pretty mugs.
Have a lovely rest of the week.
Best wishes
Ellie
Phew! Just got back from town...and the temp. is 31..
ReplyDeleteFive~Thirty this morning it was 28...36+ is predicted
by this afternoon...2/3rds of the UK is in drought mode..! :(.
I'm seriously thinking of sleeping in the fridge....! :).
And...A new baby next month...that's lovely...ALL the best
babies are born in September....especially the 21st...HeHe! :).
St Matthews Day...!
When's your Burfday Willie...? "Not telling ya"...! :O).
And...Great~Grandparents...that's fantastic..alas...my family
is quite small now, l'm an only child, and so is my daughter...
Still many cousins though, first, second and even third....They
are still back home in Sicily, don't really know most of them,
lost touch...etc...! :(
And, as usual Julie...Everything 'ALL' lovely..lovely..and lots of
pink, that's what l like to see, pink..pink..and more pink..! :O).
Love those little pink booties to..Do they come in my size..? :O).
Best get on...time to creep back into the fridge for a cold drink...
I've stocked up with concentrated squash...so, l've plenty to drink,
every time l pass the fridge, another sip out of the old squash
container...! Phew! :O).
😼 🐾🐾 😼 🐾🐾 😼 🐾🐾 😼 🐾🐾 😼 🐾🐾😼 🐾🐾
Oh Willie you do make me giggle. Do you think you would fit in a fridge??I agree the best babes born in September. My son and 2 grandchildren are September babes, now grown up.Your hot weather must be very draining of energy, the ground must be very parched. I wonder if we here in NZ will get a hot Summer this year. Last year it was an awful non event summer for us.
DeleteHaHa! Bless! I do have a choice of three fridges, the big fridge freezer....
DeleteThe smaller fridge, and in the corner of the dinning room a small freezer.
The fridge/freezer has a sign on it say...'Fridge Freezer' and the freezer in
the dinning room has a sign on it saying..'Road Kill Freezer'...! :).
Seriously.....!
Though the trouble with fitting in a fridge....? What would l do with 'ALL' the
food...? HaHa! I know...Eat It...!!! :O).
The heat over here has been bad, especially here down south...the grass
is now brown, drought across the country, and they say, it'll take ages for
it to get back to normal...! Though light rain is forecast up north...!
It's just gone eight..(8)...in the morning, and it's 22 already..! Phew! :O(.
Nice hearing from you Shirley...I always pop back to Julies Blog at least
once a day, l always find the comments from the other ladies interesting..!
Take Care Now...! :O). ♫♪•*¨*•.¸🔥💛🔥¸.•*¨*•♪♫
What a beautiful bundle of loveliness you have put together for the new baby. Such happy news. I have 2 Cath Kidston mugs for you.
ReplyDeleteThank You Sue. I look forward to catching up tomorrow xx
DeleteJulie I see that you've been able to make something slightly different by working on baby gifts. That baby is going to be showered with love from all around and that's wonderful. I enjoyed seeing all the tiny things that you made for a tiny baby. And still a little time for yourself also. Hope the winter is starting to ease up a little. The state of Ohio is in terrible disaster flood stage. Here at my house we only received two and a half inches in one day. But another part entire towns are standing in water Knee Deep and higher. Still hot weather but not the unbearable heat. Lynn and Precious XX ❤️ 💖 💕
ReplyDeleteSo many beautiful, thoughtful gifts for the baby. I hope all goes well and she arrives safely in due course.
ReplyDeleteHi Julie! Oh, the gifts you made for the baby are LOVELY! She's going to love that little bunny rattle! Are the kitties all well? I hope so! I love making candles and you reminded me! xoxoxo
ReplyDeleteI absolutely love the baby box.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much Kim. xx
DeleteSuch a lovely choice of gifts made with love, I trust all the furry ones are making a good recovery now, a real worry especially with them all being ill at once. I love reading your posts, you make me want to start on all sorts of projects when I see your results, I was reading another blog where someone was starting on some willow weaving and had to give myself a talking to.........can't do everything, thank you for the inspiration Julie - I'm off to find my bootee patterns and some merino wool, possibly in peachy apricot, or maybe soft turquoise.....xxxElaine in UK
ReplyDeleteHello Elaine. Thank you so much for your sweet kind comment. Yes it was a real worry with all the furry ones being unwell together & I felt like a hundred years older!!! However, its wonderful that they are all doing better.
DeleteThat is such a compliment that my blog makes you want to start lots of projects. Thank you for sharing that with me - it encourages me to keep on keeping on. Happy Knitting Elaine. xx
A beautiful gift Julie made with love 🩷 Cath Kidston tray looks perfect xx
ReplyDeleteThanks so much dear Sandy. xx
DeleteJulie you have been busy - as usual - love the sprayed hydrangeas - they look beautiful freshened up like that
ReplyDeleteThat baby shower gift is so sweet - and practical! The type of gift I like to give also. I so admire your re-make of the blanket - that is so beautiful.
Glad to hear the purry furries are all well on the mend and loving life again
How fortuitous to be able to buy the tray to 'go with' your coasters - so pretty sitting there together on your table with the cyclamen and felt daisies.
The candles look gorgeous in those mugs - and the scent sounds delish!
Thank you for the book recommendation
Blessings
Maxine
Hello Julie, what a huge family you have, no wonder you are always making gifts! and what lovely things. The package you put together for the new baby girl is really lovely and useful too, I'm sure it will get a lot of use. We are in our 5th drought, which is just a continuation, no let up from one to the next, no rain now for months, not even a drop in our town although some areas of the UK did get a bit. Im feeling creative and have an idea to make a long, flouncy, skirt from old embroidered tablecloths, but finding them is a challenge, I have two small ones so far and keeping an eye out in charity shops - they are in demand on ebay/vinted so I will have to be patient. Longing for Autumn, the colours and woodland walks, I usually feel like painting in Autumn. I will take a look for your book in our library, we can order online from other branches so might be lucky. Betty
ReplyDeleteWhat a really lovely baby package you put together.... so thoughtful as well as beautiful. Great reuse of the mugs....
ReplyDeleteHugz
It is so wonderful to read about your baby package... you’ve created and put together such beautiful things. It brought back such lovely memories of the time when I used to make so many things for my grandchildren... knitting, sewing... those sweet little dresses for the girls and jackets and trousers for the boys...
ReplyDeleteYour package is so full of love—sending you a cheerful hug and lots of warm regards.
Viola
Thank you so much Viola. I very much enjoyed putting this parcel together & can't wait for the wee girl to make her entrance into the world. Thank you for stopping by Viola. xx
DeleteSuch precious gifts to send to a precious new arrival. Brought back memories of all the lovely knitted objects my Mom made for my children.
ReplyDeleteGod Bless.
Beautiful baby gifts Julie. So full of love .What perfume did you use for your lovely candles?
ReplyDeleteHello Julie, these baby gifts are gorgeous! You have tremendous talent! I love all these items!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for your sweet, kind comment Linda. xx
DeleteBeautiful baby package Julie! Your candles sound wonderful too.
ReplyDelete