Thursday, March 21, 2019

Rabbiting .................................................

Greetings dear friends & readers

It's strange how I can remember exactly  where I was & what I was doing when news of some very tragic events occurred in my life.
I distinctly remember pushing my trolley around the Supermarket when I heard the devastating news of Princess Diana's death like it was just yesterday.
Likewise I recall vacuuming my lounge early one morning when The Mr switched on the TV & I absentmindedly thought what a ghastly movie was on .... when in fact it was the Twin Towers terrorist attacks being broadcast live!

 So it is that it will be forever imprinted in my brain how I was happily ensconced in my sewing room (sewing fabric rabbits) when The Mr rang to tell me the devastating news of the terrorist attacks in Christchurch last Friday.
I turned on the news reports & sat for the rest of the day in tears scarcely able to believe what I was seeing unfold in this beautiful Country of ours.

(Image from Instagram)

Two days later when The Mr asked me what I had planned for the day, I told him it seemed "inappropriate & frivolous" to spend time sewing rabbits when there was so much devastation going on in Christchurch.
He wisely pointed out me that when we no longer continue with our normal lives as such, including the small things that bring us pleasure, then surely we are allowing the people who perpetrate these hateful crimes to win out?
He was right.      I went back to my sewing room.


The Tilda Rabbits that I had been enjoying working on are a free pattern from Here
They are made entirely using up what I had in my stash & the wee pink girl below left is dressed in a
 Liberty print remnant



Here is a wee pic of Blackie lying down dreaming of catching rabbits helping me choose fabrics for my rabbits !!




I made two of the original size & then enlarged the pattern a bit & made two bigger size rabbits.
Original Size measuring 27 cms from toe to tip of ear


Larger Size measuring 35 cms from toe to tip of ear

I am not quite sure of my sudden fascination for rabbits but I did love them & thought they looked simple enough


On Monday morning I thought I had completed them until I remembered these beautiful Tilda buttons, gifted to me by
 my lovely friend Shirley ... so each bunny got a matching Tilda button tied on 💗


Although the pattern says to paint the eyes on, I just used black DMC & a french knot.


On Sunday morning I pulled out my container of vintage sheets & enlisted Miss Pippi's help in choosing a sheet 
to make a mattress for the basket gifted to her in my last post




It did not take long to run up a soft round mattress for her basket - I made it nice & padded so she was not sitting 
on the hard base & since then  .  .  .  .  .


.  .  .  .  .  she has not gone anywhere near her new basket, the fickle creature that she is !!!!! 😉




BEFORE                                                                                       AFTER
This tall wooden pedestal Plant holder was another revamp for the St John's Op Shop, along with the 3 items 
in my last post

This one was painted in a pale Grey Chalk Paint called Quarter Absolute - I love this colour & it came up wonderfully after a rub with soft wax.

When I returned these items to the store I could not resist buying this unusual silver sugar salver 
It was certainly Not this colour when I purchased it but some elbow grease & some Silvo cleaner & it came up beautifully to add to my non collection of silverware 😉  - I have filled it with some rose petal potpourri


To finish this post on a lighter note dear friends, I have been trying to walk each day now for 4 weeks to benefit both my physical And my mental health.
I must be honest & say that I do Not really enjoy exercise but I endeavour to make myself do it in some form or other.
And so I could laugh & fully relate when this came through in my inbox from my dear friend Willie 




Just the laugh I needed thanks so much Willie!

For those creative folk out there, here is the link to some information & a free pattern to make up heart blocks
 for those affected by the Christchurch devastation.
I plan to make some up next week.
Thanks So Much to you All for your visits today,
Be kind to yourselves & to each other dear friends,
With much love & friendship to you all,
Julie & the furry ones x0x0x






25 comments:

  1. it's awful isn't it? what is our countries coming to?

    beautiful rabbits! maybe Pippi preferred the all pink flowers? lol bless her, she'll use it again am sure
    beautiful silverware too
    love the poster of the treadmill! not much of an exerciser myself either, too much knitting to do!
    lovely post
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Selina .... Miss Pippi has still not returned to her basket so am thinking of sitting something heavy in the middle to flatten the mattress a bit ... No not Blackie either !!! Have a great weekend Selina - thanks for the lovely comments you take the time to leave me here Xx

      Delete
  2. I am so sorry your country has now been hit with the horrible acts of hate we have seen elsewhere.
    Your bunnies are so sweet, and those buttons are the perfect final touch.
    So funny Miss Pippi is being finicky about her new mattress.
    Your addition to your non-collection is gorgeous. :)
    Oh, that is so funny. I'll have to try my treadmill that way. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your bunnies, they are beautiful. Pippi made me laugh so much, typical cat. Love the addition to your non collection. It's unusual. i'm not keen on exercise either but i was thinking about an hour or so ago that when our weather finally cools i might & that's a big might take up walking again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in love with your Rabbits

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it strange how we can remember exactly where we were and what we were doing when the tragedies of the world occur. I totally agree with your husband, Julie. 'They' have won if we don't do what we love anymore. I have always thought that we can only change our little world around us. That we can show an attitude of love and care and add a little beauty to the lives of those we meet and interact with each day. So you keep on fashioning your gorgeous pretties, lovely Julie. You bring a sense of joyousness to my days. I must say your Tilda rabbits are a dream. They evoke such sweetness♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been so sad too Julie. I have lived in different countries with many problems, N. Ireland, Israel, Kenya - when the embassies were bombed. But to have so much hate come plonk itself on my countries doorstep was too much for me. I have a young friend who turns 21 this Saturday and having to sew his quilt was the best therapy for me. It is nearly finished. Just binding to go. I love your Bunnies!!! Love Willie's joke. And Of Course Miss Pippi doesn't want to use the basket now!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Julie oh I love your rabbits they are so cute,and I agree with your hubby,glad you went back to your sewing room,the world is getting to be a harder place to live in.love all your work well done my friend xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so glad you continues on with your bunnies Julie, they are beautiful and it was probably the best thing for you to be doing. I still can't believe this terrible thing has happened. Your silver for your non collection is lovley Julie and so unusual, the plant stand looks great too. Love the cat picture from Willie, I am not a huge fan of exercise either, but usually feel better once I have done some. A walk along the beach is wonderful and peaceful. Oh Miss Pippi!! I hope she has gone back to the basket again after you made her the wonderful cushion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The events in Christchurch are awful..terrible thing
    to happen..and in such a lovely country like yours
    Julie..goes beyond belief! :(.
    But! Can l say, i think your Prime Minister is a lovely,
    wonderful person, we've seen a lot of her over here, as
    the story unfolds..She sounds a very caring and honest
    person..God bless her..and prayers for all the victims
    and families! God bless them!

    I see Blackie has decided to help for a change..though he
    seems to be asleep on the job! Hehe! I expect Miss Pippi is to
    busy, making good use of her new mattress! :). Bless!xx

    The Tilda rabbits look lovely as usual..and the silver came up
    nice, surprising what a little bit of elbow grease and Silvo
    can do...! :).

    Well..just gone seven over here..off for my second lemon tea,
    market day to~day in town, weathers been a bit nicer recently,
    no rain at least..
    Thinking of you all over there Julie..God Bless! Onwards and
    Upwards now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My thoughts are with you all at this sad time in your country. Like you julie I rember when I heard the terrible news about Princess Diana and again when the news about the twin towers, I thought what a horrible film to show in the middle of the day, I wish it had been a film. Your husband is right we do have to carry on as hard as it is sometimes.
    You need a little dog Julie you would definitely get some excersise then or maybe not, Blackie and Pippi might just object xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I adore the rabbits. I have seen similar ones and often thought of making some. The pretty fabrics really do make them extra special. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember when the twin towers went down it was my day to teach and I thought about cancelling classes, but then I told myself if we stop and freeze in grief they have won. I love those bunnies and would love to see how they are made. I wish i had time to sew fun stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely comment Kim. Yes I remember that day also .... I think these tragedies get imprinted on our brains & we never forget them. The bunnies are a free pattern if you click on the link - they are very simple to make.

      Delete
  13. It was so sad hearing about what happened in Christchurch😢 hopefully it will be the only time this ever happens in NZ. On a brighter note love your rabbits Julie, so cute. Good one Willie🤣 you always make us laugh. Now Miss Pippi must be thinking that cushion is way to nice to sleep on :-)
    Didn't I say you find the best things to paint, it looks so nice, and love your new addition to your non collection of silverware ahahaha. Have a wonderful week Julie. Chris xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes I think I was like many stunned at this horrific violence and by one of our countrymen! Finding joy in what we love to do makes the light shine brighter in the darkness these creatures try and create! I am glad you went back and created such gorgeous little bunnies that will and have made us smile. Giggling about the new bed rejection....fickle feline lol! With the way your delightful NON collection of silverware is going I think you may just have to ADMIT to a "collection" lol!
    May the long time sun shine upon you,
    All love surround you
    And the pure light within,
    Guide your way on.
    Namaste Julie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so glad that you continued sewing. So many things are happening around us really make me sad. Sometimes I also cannot do normal works when I hear this kind of devastating news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely comment dear Krishna. These tragedies that are happening in the World today are so hard to get our heads around I agree.

      Delete
  16. i like the tilda dolls but don't but would not have the patience to make those small arms and legs. grear sugar bowl find and enjoyed the treadmill picture. slow going here.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Where in the world have I been?? How have I missed so many of your posts??? Have been sitting here catching up. I love the sweet bunnies you've made. They all are adorable. You do such beautiful work. Willie does find the cutest things to share. That kitty on the treadmill is a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It has been a strange week here too. Those poor families and I feel for christchurch too. I feel a bit awkward saying, but I can't watch all the news programs at the moment. Too many hakas and flowers for me. I am glad that they have changed the gun laws - there is no need for people to own those weapons, and are prosecuting those who have promoted that video.

    I am not a huge fan of exercise either, but a walk home up our hill each day helps and the nice weather we are having makes being outside much nicer. I like to listen to some podcasts as I wander about. As the weather gets colder I am going to use some youtube excercise programs to keep active when it is too cold to get out and about.

    Love the basket and your box of retro sheet material makes my heart swell - it reminds me of my childhood.

    Hugs
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sad that your country has experienced terrorism, I worry about it all the time in the UK despite having lived through the IRA bombs (I worked in London at the time and one was difused a few doors from where I worked); it seems there will always be these threats and sadly they breed mistrust and fear from all cultures and creeds. I can understand why bunnies seeemed frivolous but of course creativity gives peace and calm and is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your bunnies are gorgeous... I think we are all still in shock about what happened at Christchurch... sometimes we need to keep going with our craft to help us through all the madness in the world. And it's lovely to be able to send some comfort by making quilts... thanks for the link, I'm going to check it out xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. So many emotions bubbling around in our heads at the moment. But, wise, carrying on and not being beaten is the best we can all do. Hmmm there may be a few rabbits being sewn by us Country Yard girls now.... I think someone was inspired by these ones here...!!! Haha that's exactly what our pets do - I'm forever making comfortable looking spots for Nigel cat to keep him off MY things in the sewing room but he never likes them!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such sadness caused to so many but you are right people must not let these thoughts rule their lives or the terror wins. We can only send love and support to those affected and give the perpetrators no thought at all. Your bunnies are beautiful, what a lovely way to use your little bits of fabric. x

    ReplyDelete

Hello, & thank you for taking the time to comment on my posts - I read and appreciate each and every one of your comments :-)
I always prefer to reply to your comments by email unless you are a no-reply-blogger in which case I will reply to your comments in this section here. Thanks so much for stopping by to read & comment on my blog x0x