Friday, June 5, 2020

Winter has arrived ....................................

Greetings dear friends & readers & Welcome to June !!

With the calendar rolling over to June we have certainly welcomed Winter to my little corner of the globe.
Our days are now often wet & cold & we keep the fire going constantly to warm the house.

Last weekend we celebrated Queen's Birthday Weekend here in New Zealand.
I decided to put my Orders aside for the weekend & spend some time finishing up a wall hanging.
And as you can see - Yes I did indeed have my usual "assistance" with this task

I received this as a gift several years ago from my friend Bev - it was not a kitset but the pattern did include the wooden buttons.
I pulled fabrics from my treasured Tilda basket to make my wall hanging.

My apologies - it is photographing really faded looking on this dull rainy day
I must confess I could not get the cotton reel blocks to turn out & ended up slightly enlarging the whole wall hanging & doing what I fondly call "A Julie Version" for the bottom blocks πŸ˜•

I enlarged the tabs at the top & instead of felt circles, as the pattern calls for - I used mother-of-pearl buttons

This was also my first attempt at needleturn applique - not much fun but I did persevere πŸ˜‰
My wall hanging is now on the sewing room door - & Yes, I think that a day spent sewing most certainly Is 
a day filled with pleasure !


On Sunday of the long weekend I took a drive out to spend some time with my grandson Alec
He very proudly got dressed up in his brand new school uniform to show me - he starts full time school this Monday.


On my way home from Alec's I called to see my friend Elaine to discuss an Order I am about to do for her.
My timing was absolutely impeccable as Elaine was right in the midst of a huge declutter .  .  .  .
.  .  .  .  & guess who got to load their car up with all the junk treasures Elaine was tossing out !!
Oh My !! πŸ’• Be still my beating heart !!


I have always loved flower frogs & longed to have a wee collection.
These 3 above were in the bottom of a basket & when I turned them upside down, I see Elaine had painted & decoupaged them - so special πŸ’œ

The paint colour is Dulux Ngataringa Bay - 2 coats
I took the terracotta wall vase (above left) & put it through my dishwasher to remove any oily marks - then I painted it with a testpot of paint & hung it in my hall way.
I think it would look lovely filled with some delicate dried gypsophlia.
(I look forward to showing you more of what I repurpose from this gorgeous haul in the following weeks dear readers)

On the way home from Alec/Elaine's I stopped in at my local bookshop & bought myself a treat.
I have most of Wendyl Nissen's Books & really enjoy them - this one is her very latest & once again, is a great read.


Blackie has been wandering & come home injured (again!!) so he is receiving slightly more pampering than 
Miss Pippi of late
She is Not Amused by this turn of events & has decided to take up residence in my fabric baskets just to annoy me.
At least this time - she got the colour right !!!! πŸ’—

Wishing you all a wonderful weekend dear friends 😊 
Be kind to yourselves & to each other - & stay safe !
With much love & friendship to you all,
Julie & the furry ones x0x0x0

25 comments:

  1. Cute wall hanging! Wendyl's book looks good. Is your grandson really off to school? How can that BE????

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an adorable little wall hanging--perfect for the sewing room door. I laughed at the "Julie Version." Been there, done that--many times. It calls out our creative spirit to "make do" our own way. :)
    What a happy and proud little man in his uniform.
    You really spruced up the pot, and it would look perfect with the delicate Baby's Breath flowers.
    Hmm, the look in Miss Pippa's eyes is not a happy one. I'd be careful around her claws.

    ReplyDelete
  3. your wall hanging looks fabulous Julie, love your hanger, how cute is that. Wow a big school boy already, hope he enjoys his school years to come. We have the Queens birthday long weekend this weekend, think the weather will be wet as per usual.
    You got some wonderful goodies from your friend, hope Blackie is ok, have a great week Julie. Chris xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, and further more looking at the results of your
    sewing Jukie, is most certainly a day filled with pleasure
    to..! :).
    The wall hanging is amazing, lovely..you don't see them
    so much now~a~days..something different to a picture or
    photo..nice! :).

    And..look at Alec..School on Monday, goodness! How time
    flies, looking forward to it..l bet! Wish him well, please!

    And..what on earth has that Blackie been up to..naughty boy! :(.
    Trying to tackle a larger rabbit l suspect..HeHe! Bless!x
    Unusual to see Miss Pippi in a 'full' basket, usually it's an
    empty one..still, bit more comfy! She looks lovely! :).

    Just gone seven over here, suns up, but a bit windy to~day,
    over cast for the weekend, though dry, must pop into town
    later..few bits and pieces needed! Keeping busy! Though
    not one for getting bored..Plenty to do around the home! :o).
    🐿️ 🐿️ 🐿️ 🐿️ 🐿️ 🐿️ 🐿️ 🐿️ 🐿️ 🐿️ 🐿️ 🐿️

    ReplyDelete
  5. well done completing that wall hanging, it looked like a lot of work went into it. That's a lovely picture of Pippi, and funny that she's on the red fabrics. How lucky to pass by when your friend was turning out so many interesting things. I was surprised you could wash the terracotta pot, I expected it would be too fragile, but what a result when painted, totally transformed. I would put in my conservatory and fill with a trailing plant. Hope you keep warm and cosy, we are moving into Summer here of course and turned our heating off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The wallhanging is lovely, I often do my own thing and make my own version of something too. How lovely that you are able to see people again, we can meet at a distance now outdoors but still not go into homes. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Most certainly a car load of treasure there. I love your paint job on the pot. What a pretty wall hanging - I love Tilda fabrics and those tabs make such a pretty border - I must make a note to try something similar! Have a lovely weekend and keep warm. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your wallhanging. Look forward to see what you do with all your lovely new treasures. Must have a look for the book, looks very interesting. Have a wonderful weekend. Hugs, xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poor Blackie, he should know better than to get into trouble. And now Pippi jealous!
    I really enjoy seeing your newest "sewing" creation. The sewing machine on top is
    perfect and you color of cloth used, well it will brighten any room in the winter.
    We just keep getting inches of rain but it is warm. Nice that you can see people now
    and if school is starting, then things must be good with the covid 19.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lynn. Yes Blackie will never quite lose the "feral" in him I don't think. He wanders off from time to time & always comes home injured. I think I age about 10 years every time he does this!!!! Yes we are at a much lower level with our lockdown now & looking much more normal with things like schools open again. Its nice but it still feels scary out there.

      Delete
  10. Hi Julie how cute is your new wall hanging,well done my friend.
    How wonderful to come home with all those pre loved treasures can't wait to see what you do with them.
    What a handsome young man young Alec is and he looks very proud in his new uniform,hope you have a lovely weekend Julie,take care xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello beautiful Julie!
    You are the BEST at remaking things! I love your wall hanging. It looks perfect to me.
    Oh, you're a bit chilly now and need the fire? I like the contrast because we're heating up!
    I pray Alec LOVES school!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love all your fun things. Your grandson is darling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kim - yes he is a lovely little boy - hard to believe he is 5 !!

      Delete
  13. very sweet wallhanging... I'm sure you would enjoy needleturn on something a bit bigger which is not so fiddly! Great haul of treasures to play with....
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Julie, your wallhanging is so lovely, I love it. The clay pot you hung on your wall repainted looks super in that colour. Dear Miss Pippi, my she does have some attitude but so adorable.Alec looks wonderful in his smart school uniform, before you know it he will be preparing to leave school, I know, it's happening to me and wonder where on earth has the time gone.Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  15. A P.S. Julie, love your new header and very interested to see Wendyl Nissen's book, think I may have to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness, so many pretty things! Your wall-hanging is cute as can be...so is grandson Alec. How lucky you arrived at your friend's home in time to get all those pretty things. I love what you did to the little vase. All those things are nice. Hard to imaging it being winter time there as we are just getting into spring and summer. Hope you have a nice weekend too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the "Julie's Version" of your delightful wall hanging, Julie; it is gorgeous! You most certainly received oodles of fabulous 'loot', Julie, from your friend Elaine. How serendipitous she was de-cluttering. As for your sweet Alec, he is brimming over with smiles and how sweet he looks in his school uniform. He is going to love going to school.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Alex looks very proud and excited in his new uniform. Your Julie version of the wall hanging is beautiful, well done. How food your friend was having a clean out, so many wonderful things for you to work your magic on. The pot hanging in your hall way looks great. So good of Miss Pippi to come and help!! Your book looks interesting. Keep safe.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lol....trust you to be in the right place at the right time. What awesome treasures you have been gifted. I can see they'll turn into amazing creations. The winter weather is rolling in my way as well, still have the warm days but the nights are getting cool. x

    ReplyDelete
  20. love your new wall hanging & hope Blackie is healing good too
    all those wonderful treasures! so heavenly! can't wait to see what you do with the rest of them
    i've just had an enjoyable 4 days with family too.
    starting to get a tad chilly here as well, wishing i had a lovely cozy fire!
    wonderful posts as usual
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh Julie I love your new wallhanging and the reels of thread look just perfect. I can't believe Alec is starting school already. He looks very smart in his hoodie and joggers. Our schools in Scotland won't go back until August but even then, hopefully it will be safe for them but I have my doubts with the recent goings-on here at the weekend. It also means it might be longer before I can finally 'meet' my new grandson. I was laughing at the inclusion of the snooker ball holder in your recent haul. Now what are you going to do with that??Something fabulous no doubt. Have a good week, Julie.xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. You have very good friends! LOL!!
    As always I love what you do...but what got me was Alec. He can't be starting school??!! He was just born. Oh Julie, the years are flying by! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Another lovely post Julie, your wall hanging is gorgeous as is Alec, big school boy now, grandies grow up too fast. Will be interesting to see what you create from your lovely haul. Keep warm, happy creating and thanks for sharing. []

    ReplyDelete

Hello, & thank you for taking the time to comment on my posts - I read and appreciate each and every one of your comments :-)
I always prefer to reply to your comments by email unless you are a no-reply-blogger in which case I will reply to your comments in this section here. Thanks so much for stopping by to read & comment on my blog x0x