Thursday, April 30, 2020

Functional ..................... but still beautiful .........................

Greetings dear friends & readers

Although I like things to be functional, I think there is no reason whatsoever - why they can't also be beautiful.
(Or aesthetically pleasing as some might say)

First thing last week - I cleaned my Laundry.
A really, really good deep clean that included the walls, the ceiling & the floors.
The net curtain at the one window in my laundry had long ago seen better days. 
 I remembered about a piece of fabric I had purchased from this gorgeous French Shop last year when I visited with my lovely friends Sally & Jane

A gorgeous vintage piece of linen imported from France - the odd tiny mend in it too 💕 
I had washed it but done nothing with it - it had sat in my sewing room shelves.
I decided to make up a new curtain for my window so I added a casing to the top & then threaded it onto an old length of rod  .  .  .  .

Although it was not really the colours I had in mind for my Laundry - it fit perfectly at the window.

Next I decided to make a new peg bag as the bottom had fallen out of my old one quite some time ago.
I knew I had a nice piece of red/white ticking fabric that would be large enough but I felt that I needed to try & bring in the oranges & blues in the curtain piece.

I also decided I needed to try to use up some of the hexie flowers - an Op Shop purchase from This Post
Luckily enough I had, not one but two helpers for this exercise

Miss Pip helped me choose colours & then Blackie very kindly pressed them all flat for me
I added in some Tilda fabrics as I knew I had some oranges - as well as some vintage embroidery pieces that were torn or tatty on one end

A bit of a faff .... but it turned out very pretty & functional & beautiful .  .  .  .
.  .  .  . and I managed to combine the oranges & the reds & the blues all together 💗
I removed the plain centres of the hexie flowers & fussy cut some Tilda fabrics to replace them
I LoVe my new peg bag ...... & it is functional but still beautiful in my eyes.


During Lockdown Sid's parents have informed me he no longer has a daytime sleep - so I decided to take down the cot I had in my spare room.
This left me a space to bring in the drop leaf desk I had in my Cottage.
I never particularly liked this desk but it held all our paperwork & everytime I needed a receipt I had to run out to the Cottage to look for it.

It would be much better inside the house.

After painting I lightly distressed all the edges with sandpaper
I begun to paint it with chalk paint but very soon ran out - so I finished the entire desk using my acrylic wall paint - Dulux Cottage Cream
I liked it but I didn't Love it  ......  something was missing.

I had ordered a pretty transfer from Paint Me Vintage a few weeks ago & this week, when our Country moved to Level 3 Lockdown we were able to receive parcels again.
I thought the transfer might be perfect to bring the desk to life some what.

I was able to cut into it & use 2 sections - I just love the way it has turned out & given the desk such a pretty 
french vibe
Functional ...... but still beautiful 💗


Another special delivery to arrive last week was our brand new grandaughter (my step grandaughter) 
 We welcomed to the world little Juno Elizabeth weighing in at 8lbs 10 ozs 
By that I mean we welcomed her via cyber space as she is allowed no visitors just yet - but I can't wait to give her
 a cuddle 💗

I was delighted when The Mr arrived home from the Farm supplies shop with a bag of potting mix for me the other day!
It just goes to show how the simplest things can give you pleasure.
I have been potting up lots of small cuttings & growing them by the French Doors at the end of my lounge which is like a little hot house area for plants.


The Mr has several stray cats at the farm that come & go at various times, sometimes increase in numbers, sometimes decrease
Their names are Friendly Cat 1, 2 & 3 (!!!) 
He feeds any that are there as they keep the rats & mice down & also help prevent the birds constantly building nests in the tractors & diggers - such a fire hazard
Although they are quite wild, some have become tamer over time. 
 He sent me this photo yesterday of 3 of them in the back of his Ute when he came back from shifting the cows.
I have promised Not to show Miss Pip the photo (!!) 😉

Thanks So Very Much for your visits here today dear friends,
I hope you are being kind to yourselves & to each other,
With much love & friendship to you all,
Julie & the furry ones x0x0x

28 comments:

  1. Soooo much to delight the eyes in this post, lovely Julie! Firstly I must mention the oh-so-sweet Juno Elizabeth. There is nothing quite like a photo of a tiny newborn, is there. Congratulations to you! How snuggly she looks all bundled up in that pretty blanket. Now for the "faff". Me thinks every day is just that little bit sweeter with a touch of faff. The curtain in the laundry is pretty but it is those perfect little hexies that have caused my dear ol' heart to beat just that little bit faster. They are gorgeous and how pretty they look amongst all the prettiness of your peg bag. As for all those sweet puddy cats. The photo of them all in your DH's car made my heart smile. I would think with all those cats about the rodents would be pretty much non existant, wouldn't they?? Yes, probably a good thing not to show the photo with Miss Pip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your new granddaughter... she is beautiful! I love how you "prettied up" things you already had to make your home more cozy and comfortable. What a transformation you gave that desk! I use a net bag for my pegs, as you call them, we call them clothespins, but seeing your peg bag I'm thinking that I need to make one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post Julie, you are so clever creating beautiful things, the curtain looks amazing, as does your new peg bag, much nicer to look at than the metal one we have! Congratulations on the new grand daughter, very exciting. You have transformed the writing desk Julie, it looks so pretty now. Your furry assistants are every ready to help aren't they!! So cute. Loved the photo of Friendly Cat 1, 2 and 3, they look very at home in the back of the Ute. Wonder what Miss Pippi would think of them 😁😁.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a delightful post! I love seeing all of the sprucing up you are doing; seems like it should be spring there too. The desk is just gorgeous! We have barn kitties here too. They are a must to keep down the rodent population.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't Juno so sweet! I hope you get to see her soon. I think your helpers did a good job of their role as "Hexie Placement Supervisors". As I said on Instagram your desk has turned out beautifully & looks lovely in MY room! Oh dear I hope Friendly, 1, 2 & 3 don't come home to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely work as usual Julie and congratulations on the new Grandie. I can relate to the cats - we have the same, apart from the three at the house that is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sparka. Yes the cats are always there to "assist me" !!

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on having a beautiful granddaughter to love, I am sure you will make up for the cuddles one day. That is a very sweet peg bag, it just goes to show that anything can be made more to our taste with a little effort. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. A beautiful baby Julie, hope you don't have to wait to long for a cuddle, love your new laundry curtain, wish I had a small enough window in mine, have a big sliding door with a pull down blind, think I might stay in their longer if I had your lovely curtain. I was amazed by your desk makeover when I saw it on Instagram, well done, and your so lucky to have not one but two lovely helpers making your gorgeous clothes peg bag, hope your keeping well. Chris xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree..things should be functional, and, there is no reason whatsoever
    why they can't also be beautiful...That sums ME! up to a tee..! HeHe! :).

    AND..Wow Julie..that desk is amazing..what a transformation..And..Yes!
    Very French..Very French..! Très Beau et Merveilleux...!

    Looks as though you not only had Miss Pippi the assistant, but Blackie
    the supervisor as well..goodness! It's all turning into a major company
    of arts and crafts..l hope their not taking it 'laying' down..! Bless!xx

    And..the pussy~cats in the back of the truck, they look quite happy and
    content don't they..Bless!
    And..so does baby Juno..Juno, what a nice name that is, and to think..l
    looked like once, so l'm told, but l do have photographs to prove it..! :).
    Hope it's not to long Julie, when you can give her a great BIG cuddle...
    And, also that's it's not to long before we can ALL give each other a cuddle...! :).
    But for the time being..Stay Safe! Stay Home! Stay Happy! God Bless! :O).
    🌱💛🌱💛🌱💛🌱💛🌱💛🌱💛🌱💛🌱💛🌱💛🌱💛🌱💛🌱💛🌱💛🌱💛🌱💛🌱💛

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely use for your special piece of French linen and the peg bag is gorgeous. I love your transformation of the desk - the transfers are perfect. Great to have a new little one to look forward to meeting. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. the desk has turned out beautifully, the transfer really sets it off. Peg bag is pretty too - I like things that have a use. I loved seeing a glimpse of the farm life - feral cats having a rest in the truck :) You have had a much more severe lock down than us - we have been allowed to receive post and parcels, we have had it a bit easy by comparison it appears.
    Take care. Betty

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha...ha....Yep, never show that photo! Whew! Lucky escape as I don't believe Miss Pippi can use a phone yet! Beautiful grand daughter and I love the name Juno Elizabeth, so pretty. What a transformation for your desk - Tres Francais! Those transfers work magic it seems. Useful and beautiful of course. That little bunny in the middle of the hexi flower - perfect! Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful. William Morris

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Julie,

    That peg bag and curtain are a perfect addition to your lovely clean laundry room. The colours you have combined go really well together. And that curtain is something special. I love it!

    I see, all the beautiful work you do is because of the overseers. I like how they aren't afraid to get in and get their paws dirty!

    I love how the desk turned out, you are very talented with your craftwork.

    Congratulations on your new addition. Juno is just gorgeous, and I bet you cant wait to give her a cuddle.

    Take care and stay well,
    xTania



    ReplyDelete
  14. It has to be maddening to all folks to miss out on the babies and tots. But safety and health first, then soon, we hope,
    lots of kisses and hugs. The curtain turned out so well. The old embroidery on it and lace is lovely. You have had
    time for plenty of crafty work. Precious would be like a steam roller on wrinkles, she is so pudgy. I think Blackie
    could only lightly press! Barn cats are hard workers for the mice and such, good thing you have them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynn - Oh I think Blackie would give Precious a run for her money in the heaviness stakes. He is no lightweight believe me ... he eats his own food & then makes a mad dash in case Miss Pip has left any in her bowl so often has two meals.

      Delete
  15. I just love all the things you do. our attention to detail amazes me. That baby is just gorgeous and I would be aching to snuggle her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim - yes I am dying to get over to the city & give her a wee cuddle - lucky we get photos most days.

      Delete
  16. Very interesting post. sweet cats
    I am following you and invite you to me
    https://milentry-blog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. beautiful makes, I just love the curtain...lovely to ahve a great peg bag.. a pretty peg bag helps cheer up washing days! and the desk looks really lovely....
    Take care...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello darling sweet Julie! Oh my goodness! So many nice things! I love your painted desk! Decals are a brilliant addition!
    Your peg bag is super lovely!
    JUNO! She is so beautiful! Congrats to you guys!
    And last three adorable striped kitties in a car boot! I love that photo!
    Of course I always love seeing your helpers. They are both so cherished!
    Take care, sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your new curtain and peg bag are adorable, and hold such lovely memories for you.
    Your helpers are cute.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely projects you have... I especially like the curtain for the laundry room! It's very country cozy! And, the peg bag....makes hanging laundry so much more enjoyable! Miss Pip and Blackie are so cute! Isn't it funny how they always have to check out what we're doing? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love all your upcycling and the curtains are gorgeous. Congratulations on the safe arrival of that darling little girl xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations on your new granddaughter. How exciting for you. I bet Juno can't wait for her big cuddle. I love your curtain. What a perfect way to show off your vintage linen. Might have to look at what I have and make a curtain like that. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. OKay I think you and Leanne have inspired me to get my crafting mojo back....but first cake!!
    Love the peg back, very beautiful, curtain is cool too. Congratulations on the new arrival,xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Julie it's great to be reading blogs again and wow I love your new laundry curtain it's so beautiful ,that linen is stunning and what a great idea for a pg bag it also looks beautiful. And boy how amazing is your desk I love the decals on it ,it's such a beautiful piece of furniture now ,well done on all your beautiful finishes and congrats on the new babe a cute addition to the family. Cheers Shez xx

    ReplyDelete

Hello, & thank you for taking the time to comment on my posts - I read and appreciate each and every one of your comments :-)
I always prefer to reply to your comments by email unless you are a no-reply-blogger in which case I will reply to your comments in this section here. Thanks so much for stopping by to read & comment on my blog x0x