Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Chaos & Disruption .................................... & Birdfeeders (!!)

Mid Week Greetings dear friends & readers,

The house has been in rather a state of chaos & disruption this past week as I have been doing some re-decorating.

I picked my very first vases of roses & sweetpeas at the weekend before the winds & rain came & bashed them all 💗


Just over a week ago I had a moment of madness when I decided to empty out my dining room & give it a paint.  Truth be told I really wanted to do this in November of last year but back then I was running back & forth helping Mum who had broken her hip.  As soon as we finished with fires for the year I emptied out the room & gave the walls a good wash down with sugar soap. They were very discoloured.

Once I began painting the walls I had my unwanted helper constant companion Pippi who kept a watchful eye on the paint as it dried 😉

I took this pic while The Mr was painting the ceiling to show you how discoloured it was - even though I had washed it prior.

As our kitchen & dining room are all one L-shaped room - this meant I had to paint the kitchen too.



Whilst doing the kitchen walls one of my ladder rungs broke off !!  Now friends I know I need to lose a few kilo's but seriously ....................... 😕

The leg is still black & blue as the bruising has come out over several days.  I went to Mitre 10 & invested in a nice new strong stepladder!

Last Saturday I decided to wallpaper the wall above my fireplace using up the left over paper from my Lounge feature wall - I had 2 rolls left.  This came together quite well but now I have the dilema of what color to paint the bricks around my fire, which currently looks just like this in the picture above - while I decide with my various testpots.  I would like to go lighter for a change from the dark red.


The Mr came home from Moto X a couple of weeks ago with a repair job for me.  This bear had been won by an 8 year old girl & then her new puppy had gotten hold of it. Though I forgot to take a before pic it had no eyes, one ear off, a torn cheek & the mouth stitching missing as well as a ripped jacket & was filthy.

I was able to wash the bear & clothes before attempting to repair it. I am pleased I still have some eyes & thread from my teddy bear making days. The young girl cried with joy when The Mr returned it to her.


I found myself in Cambridge last week so I popped into a lovely vintage pop-up store called Linen and Stone - I have been there once before & they sell rather unusual bits & bobs.

 I could not resist this enamel ware jug on the top left (cos I need more enamel ware like I need a hole in the head !!!) as well as the delightful Shaving linen cloth.  The silver plated stand on the right was only $4 at the SPCA shop just a few doors along - I am hoping to chalk paint it.

I get a little giddy with excitement when folk give me their rubbish treasures ... my friend Gail gave me a box of old paperwork to burn for her & this rusty cobwebby chandelier was sitting on the top of the box !!  I removed all the wiring from it & then wire brushed it to remove the surface rust - I spray painted it liberally with a rust killer/primer.  I had a plan for this chandelier 😉

Remember my Op Shop finds from last month on my trip to Mum's ... well this set of 3 china cups were just $10 for the set ... I thought they would be perfect for my "chandelier plan"

I painted the chandelier with 2 coats of chalk paint (Country Green) which I felt went nicely with the soft florals in the teacups/saucers.

I glued each teacup to its saucer using a good porcelain glue that I use on my teacup birdfeeders & I know it withstands the weather.
The Mr drilled tiny holes in each light socket & then I wired the teacup handles in using 18 gauge galvanised wire.


I have hung it in my deck area in a spot that is a bit sheltered from any strong winds.


I filled it with wild bird seed ... I know it will take the birds a good couple of weeks to come to it but once they do it will be very popular I am sure.

I just feel so happy with it & also delighted that I have rescued something from landfill & given it a second life 💚





Yesterday afternoon the weather here was dreadful so it was an inside afternoon for Sid & I. I made him a train & he filled the passenger carriage with his dinosaurs & Yes ... I did get to push him around the lounge in his train making tooting noises 😐 Oh Lucky Me !!!

Thanks So Very Much for your visits today dear friends,

I hope to have some finished dining room pics to share in my next post.

Take care dear friends & be kind to yourselves & to each other,

With much love & friendship to you all,

Love Julie & the furry ones x0x0x0 

22 comments:

  1. That poor leg looks so sore. You need to rest it, keep it elevated and use that as a great excuse to rest and do some sewing. LOL
    I love your bird feeder, what a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've certainly been busy Julie..Goodness! Yes!
    Have you had time to sleep..!
    Your fireplace looks nice, and yes, your quite right
    it needs a lighter colour, perhaps an orange/brick colour!
    (notice l did'nt say pink)..! :).

    Oh! I bet the young 8yr old was pleased with her teddy,
    he looks great, wide eyed and bushy tailed...! :).
    Did they get rid of the puppy! HeHe! :o).

    And the chandelier has to be up there with one of the
    best things you've done Julie..Love it!
    I always send your posts onto my daughter, she will
    love that chandelier..Amazing!

    And..your poor leg..goodness! And..the rung broke, how
    old is the ladder you were using..usual for a rung to
    brake..woodworm l expect..! Little devils! :).

    Were on a months full lockdown over here, until the 2nd
    of December..seems as though this vaccine will be up and
    running in a couple weeks..so, it's ALL positive at the
    moment..! Been a long time coming..! :o).
    ☕ 🍰 ☕ 🍰 ☕ 🍰 ☕ 🍰 ☕ 🍰 ☕ 🍰 ☕ 🍰 ☕

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving the wallpaper above your fireplace. What about a pale grey for the brickwork which would go with the wallpaper and your carpet? I love the bird feeder chandelier. Your poor leg really looks sore but I love the colour of your nail polish! Good job on the bear too. Busy as always, Julie with great results. Have a good week.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You really are the cleverest crafter Julie. You can see things in discarded pieces that nobody else can. I love the bird feeder, it looks smashing. Sorry about your poor leg, but your toe polish looks very pretty. Whilst decorating my whole house over the last three years i used an old ladder my Dad had made. I always feel it would be impossible for me to fall off as he will be watching me from heaven. I did fall off it once though in the garden at a previous house, but landed flat on my feet, with a Hows that!! keep well, all the best Jean x

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a good thing that was not a broken leg! I'd tell you to put ice on it to stop the discoloring, but you'd have to
    sit a good bit and have done it immediately. If like me, you just kept working. Hope it is less painful by now. Love Pippi
    watching the paint dry! Good job for a faithful companion. How soon are you publishing a craft book on how to use
    odd and ends to make useful fun projects? Love the bird feeder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lynn. Yes it is improving thank you but still very black & blue. Oh now I would LOVe to publish a craft book on how to repurpose odds & ends .... imagine the possibilities .......... !!!

      Delete
  6. Ouch - that bruising looks nasty! What a great job you did on repairing the bear, no wonder the little girl dried. I do love your new birdfeeder - you have such great ideas. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry about banging up your leg! The shin hurts the most. Love your birdfeeder! You have a seriously creative talent!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry about your leg - looks like it really hurts. The fire place does need a lighter color now that you have the wallpaper. The room will be lovely when you are finished. I'm very impressed with the light fixture, cups and saucers turned into a bird feeder. I never would have thought of that but it's super. You would never know the bear had a run-in with the dog as he looks just like new now. Looking forward to the next post about your finished room.

    ReplyDelete
  9. thats a very impressive bruise you have..... painting is clearly dangerous!!! I love what you have done with the chandalier... gorgeous
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh dear, I hope those bruises are healing nicely. Remember those days when we used to quickly scramble up ladders and jump down??!! I feel your pain, but it will be all worth it when all the painting is done. Oh my, those birdies of yours eat in rather a grand fashion, don't they. Your 'tarted up' chandelier is beautiful, Julie. As for the having too much enamel ware....is there such a thing??

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so clever, can't wait to see the big reveal. My goodnes you are lucky you did not break your leg or your neck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kim ... the leg is improving but I am still hobbling !! I was telling myself (out loud) that I did not have time to visit the Accident & Emergency as I still had a room to paint !!!

      Delete
  12. it's just MAGNIFICENT - the thing you did from that old chandelier! Oh happy birds :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Magic transformations! I love that you played and made train noises with your grandson.....making good memories there, mind you, you might want to write it all down in a note book! You are a teddy Doctor and joy restorer. :-) Good luck with your paint colour choices. That leg.......yikes!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. P.S I hope your blog post was pain free? I'm slowing getting use to the new BLOGGER.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the paler green for the fireplace. I painted a fireplace with bricks white and painted the black part two shades of pink. You have two shades of green, don't you. I love the chandelier for the bird feeder cups. I think you are lucky you only got those bruises. A broken limb would have been awful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have decided to go with the very pale green that I tried. I think it picks out the soft green in the background of the wallpaper. Your fireplace sounds wonderful ... I did consider pink as I do love that colour!! Thanks so much for leaving me your lovely comment.

      Delete
  16. Wonderful post Julie, I hope your leg is coming right, that bruising is very impressive! Thank goodness you didn't break your leg. I think a book of your recrafting would be fantastic! Love your bird feeder, that is a fantastic repurpose. You did a great job with the teddy repair too. Sid must have had a wonderful time playing trains! Good to see Miss Pippi on the job 😄

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh ouch Julie, that looks painful, be careful with step ladders to, especially when you forget which step your on and just step off into thin air thinking it's the ground, and end up sitting on the paint tin like I did a few years back hehehe my bruise was in a spot you couldn't see😳 Love your bird feeder. Good luck with your painting, can't wait to see which colour you choose. Have a great week Julie, got the married son coming on the weekend, haven't seen him since June. Chris xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your poor leg...ouch! Wonderful mercy job on Ted. Love, love love your teacup bird feeder. How neat....a dino train xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh gosh you're amazing!!!! How clever the creation with the cups and saucers. They look far better than that bruised leg of yours. Youch!!!!! I'm very partial to the thrift shops and other people's rubbish, oops, treasure.xxx

    ReplyDelete

Hello, & thank you for taking the time to comment on my posts - I read and appreciate each and every one of your comments :-)
I always prefer to reply to your comments by email unless you are a no-reply-blogger in which case I will reply to your comments in this section here. Thanks so much for stopping by to read & comment on my blog x0x