Wednesday, June 14, 2023

The Tale of "Little One"

Greetings lovely friends & readers


I captured this stunning sunset last night from our deck area.

Well my dear friends ... it would seem that - without even trying ... we appear to have become a three-cat-family 😉
Let me tell you the tale of "Little One"
(Yes named by The Mr - can't you tell !!)

You can clearly see the glassy eye in this photo above - this is the one he is blind in

His pregnant Mum was dumped at the metal pit beside the farm that The Mr runs ... this is a frequent occurrence (cats being dumped) as the farm is at the end of a dead-end road, not very far from town - so they don't have to use much petrol to abandon their animals. 😠  This infuriates me but that's not why we're here today. 
 Pregnant Mum (black & white) made her way to the cowshed where The Mr feeds a motley crew of assorted previously-dumped cats.  The Mr always maintains "you either shoot them ... or you feed them but you never starve them".  I am inclined to agree with him.  Our small rural town no longer has an SPCA so there is nowhere to take these dumped cats & nobody wants them.  
Pregnant Mum gave birth to Little One & a black/white female kitten around Christmas time if my memory serves me correctly.  The Mr would sometimes send me photos of Little One & I remember saying I thought he had Siamese in him.  Always one eye was runny.  As time went on & he became very friendly The Mr decided he needed to get him neutered so off to the Vet they go.  The Vet checked him out thoroughly & informed The Mr they would not be doing the surgery as he had a nasty lung infection & an eye infection, as well as being born blind in one eye.  She also said he needed to be kept inside & given antibiotics & eye drops in order to recover properly or the lungs would never clear up.



The first I knew of this was when The Mr arrived home & plonked the cat cage on my table ... what should we do??!! What a dilema ... we both shook our heads.  So The Mr said we'll try it for one night & see how it goes. 


It's a very stressful life here at Threadbear & sometimes we get tired from playing with the toys!!!

Now let me be 100% honest here dear friends.   Do I want a 3rd cat? No I most certainly do not!! Somedays - I don't even want the two I've got !!!! (sorry Pip, sorry Blackie) But can I bear the thought of him living in the tractor shed in the cold & the damp with a lung infection?? No I cannot.  
And so we do the best that we can.



He has certainly made himself right at Home in the spare bedroom & Yours Truly (myself) even found herself in a weak moment at the Variety Store last week - purchasing cat toys (!!!!) 😖

Back again to the Vets last Thursday for another check up (we're up to $397 currently) ... & although he is much better, he's still not well enough for an anaesthetic, so another weeks antibiotics.  

Oh my goodness ... how on earth did this happen I ask myself?! 
Unfortunately along the journey of caring for him - he has well & truly crept into my heart & I just adore him.  
The Mr informed me that several people had been to the farm to look at taking him but they all either wanted a female so they could breed from her ... or the weepy eye put them off.  Our new milkers took him home & he lasted one night before he escaped through a window & back up to the hay barn to his family.  

The minute I walk into the spare bedroom he gives a tiny squeak & starts to purr 💙

And so - for now - Little One appears to be living here at Threadbear HQ - & what the future holds I am not too sure. I always said introducing another cat would upset the balance but we shall see what unfolds.  And while I am being honest here my friends ... No it is Not all cuteness & playing with toys - it is VeRy stressful & I find I feel anxious alot of the time & get very little achieved with endeavouring to keep everyone (3 cats) happy !! 



And what's a girl to do when her Mother does this despicable thing ... bringing in a strange-looking creature to the house?  Why take to her bed of course & while she's at it - sleep on one of the Good Cushions that she's usually Not allowed on 😉😖

I found some time over the weekend for a couple of creative pursuits ... my friend Sally had given me this gorgeous vintage fine lawn nightie in a toile pattern & asked me to make her some lavender bags from it.  I had enough of it to make a lavender sleep pillow too.  The sewing room smelt heavenly with the lavender fragrance  💜


I made up another batch of Laundry Liquid over the weekend. I find a batch usually lasts me about a year ... I used the recipe in Rhonda's book below, which I refer back to all the time.  The vintage decanters have been thrifted over the years & I love filling them with the liquid but I keep a plastic milk bottle under my laundry sink to use daily so I can give it a really good shake first as the liquid can tend to gel.  


Thank you so very much for staying to the end dear friends,
I am off to fill the wood basket again - a heavy frost here this morning & its taking some work to get the house warmed up.
Wishing you all a wonderful rest-of-the-week,
With much love & friendship to you all,
Julie & the furry ones (all 3 of them !!!) 




 

27 comments:

  1. Hi Julie,
    Little One is adorable! So kind of you and your husband to have him treated for his infections. I love your blog, you are so talented! God Bless You!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your sweet kind comment Julie - that is so kind of you to say. 💗 xx

      Delete
  2. aww Little One is so very cute & adorable. I hope his infections clear up soon. The lavender bags are pretty & do love the idea of the decanters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be the same Julie , I am so soft with pets .
    My hubby told me no more now , but maybe in the future you never know.
    You are a kind person I can see this when reading your blogs .
    Have fun. hugs June.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a gorgeous little cat - hope he recovers. Pretty lavender bags - that fabric was perfect for them. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're both very kind to your animal family, Julie. I like the look of that book but it's very expensive to buy here. However, I've found her IG account so I'll go with that. I love the look of your decanters.Thanks for inspiration Julie. We're just enjoying our hot sunny days here then you go and mention frost!!!lol Keep cosy.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. When you look after a sick animal, they repay you with such love. Little One is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julie, now you have spent the time and the money and the energy with dosing the kitty, it may be difficult to not keep him for yourselves. He is beautiful, even with his ailments. I hope he does survive, but he'll be so imprinted on you and the Threadbear HQ, he'll not be a candidate for outside adoption. I do not envy it being a kitten. They are lively! I looked at my library for Rhonda Hetzel's book. This is the kind I would enjoy reading and trying things, but it is not here at home unfortunately. We had above average temps for a week, then this time last week it dropped to the 40's in the morns and the furnace is running again for the week. We also got 2 1/2 inch of needed rain. The tiny corn and soy should now jump out of the ground. Best wishes for Miss Pip and Blackie! Lynn and Precious XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lynn & Precious. Little One goes back to the Vets tomorrow so fingers crossed for a positive outcome. If love alone could make him better then he must surely be improved as he is getting it in spades.
      If you google Down to Earth Blog then this is where Rhonda used to write. She has kept it up on the www but has stopped writing posts now ... but there are all her recipes etc to refer back to. I used to love her posts. You might enjoy reading it Lynn. xx

      Delete
    2. I appreciate the information and I did find the blog. So I am perusing the information that the lady provided. However I see a lot of sad things in her life.

      Delete
  8. This is why I have a pregnant feral cat in my garage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim ... I think these wild animals know a soft touch when they see one 😉

      Delete
  9. Aww Little One is adorable Julie, hope it all works out for you all, I'm sure they will all get along fabulously. Love your containers for laundry liquid, so posh, Stay nice and warm.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Juliea53 wrote ..... Just read your post. You and the Mr are angels. Such a sweet cat. I wonder if I will ever get around to making the laundry liquid. I suppose first step is containers. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jackie has left a new comment on your post "The Tale of "Little One"":

    Little One definitely has some Siamese in him. He is definitely a cutie.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah well what can you do my dear? i don't like to think of you as being anxious about another puss in the house. He has somehow luckily made his way to you, I hope it all turns out well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Little One is gorgeous - I hope the infection clears up and that everyone adjusts to the changing fmily dynamics Brr sounds cold down your way. We haven't had a frost yet but are enjoying having the fire going nonetheless!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Little One is definitely gorgeous and I can see how he has wriggled his way into your hearts. He certainly has a look of Siamese about him. Fingers crossed for a good outcome with his aliments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your sweet kind comment. He sure has wiggled his way into our hearts. xx

      Delete
  15. Little One has found a way to yours and Mr's hearts it seems.... lovely story though and it's so nice it has a safe place to heal up....
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  16. You & the Mr are abandoned cat angels.....that's all I have to say xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ah the Little One is yours now Julie, he is very much at home. I hope he is much better soon and can have the op. Love the lavender bags you have made. Hope Miss Pippi copes with the newcomer, has Blackie made for the hills?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Julie, you have a beautiful heart, as does 'the Mr'. Little One is a sweet fellow and a lucky one to have found his way to you. I hope he is feeling better soon and that Blackie and Miss Pippi accept him into the fold.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are the best Julie. I am so glad that Little One has you.Would love to be around watching miss pippi and blackie and their antics, I can just imagine. Those lavender sachets are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  20. HI Julie, I think it's wonderful you have adopted this little cat - I am surprised they don't have a good network in your part of the World for neutering cats and rehoming though which makes your efforts all the more important. I would like a companion for Mollie but I think she prefers dogs so we will wait until retirement. I think your new addition will be so grateful for being welcomed into your home :) Betty

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello Julie. That sunset is beautiful! I'm with you.....people are dispicable in their cruelty to animals....can't tolerate it! That poor little chappie. I hope he recovers soon and has a good outcome. It certainly is a difficult position to find yourself in. You've made chores look delightful in those pretty decanters. I can just imagine how gorgeous the lavender bags smelt. Will be thinking of you and your kitty trio xxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh Julie...you are the Mother Teresa of cats. If I were a cat I'd come live with you too. How blessed those three fur babies are! xxx

    ReplyDelete

Hello, & thank you for taking the time to comment on my posts - I read and appreciate each and every one of your comments :-)
I always prefer to reply to your comments by email unless you are a no-reply-blogger in which case I will reply to your comments in this section here. Thanks so much for stopping by to read & comment on my blog x0x