Sunday, August 6, 2023

Hosting The Craft Group Ladies

Greetings lovely friends & readers

Well it would seem that I blinked & July ended πŸ˜• - the year is slipping by so very fast.

It was my turn to host the craft group ladies in July & I just managed this on the very last day.  When I look back at the busloads of Garden Groups that I used to host it is hard to believe how much work it felt like just to get ready for 7 ladies!!!  It felt like a marathon effort.


 In my attempts to tidy up prettify things a bit round here I went off to the Garden Centre with a birthday gift voucher from my friend Gail.  I could not resist the super healthy looking maidenhair fern above, as my last one was looking rather dead sad.

I also used the voucher to buy these lovely cyclamen above - just the pop of colour my outdoor space needed at the moment πŸ’—


Mine is the one on the right - an old frame of Mums that I repurposed

We had previously decided to make this craft meeting a Mid-winter Christmas theme so I chose the "Joy" frames as our project.  Everyone had to bring along their own painted frame.  We had a lovely time glueing vintage music papers to our frames, stamping the word "Joy" & then making the tiny wreaths to go on them.  I love how everyone's turned out slightly different as each of the ladies put their own spin on it.  


Our challenge issued last month was from Gail.  She handed everyone a Daphne's Diary magazine & we all had to make a project out of it.  Gail works at the Op Shop & a large pile of almost-new Daphne's Diary magazines had been donated.  This is my copy above.


Wanting to try something a bit different, I chose the leaf art above.  I found a tree down the far end of my section with these large green leaves on it so I pressed & dried them for a week.  I was really pleased with how the painting turned out but unfortunately I put them too close to our fire to dry the paint & they burnt & crinkled up quite a bit.  You can see the brown markings above where they burnt.  So I decided to try another project.


The patchwork coasters caught my eye so I found my scrap bag of Tilda fabrics - Yes I save every scrap!  These were a fun & simple project to whip up - I used wadding in the middle & a pretty floral backing.  These would look lovely tied up with a scrap of lace & gifted together with a pretty coffee mug. 


I had originally planned to give the ladies another project after lunch so I trialled the snowflakes made from wooden clothes pegs.  You can find the instructions * Here *.  I found that the wooden pegs were very rough & required lots of sanding once I'd glued them, then when I painted them I wasn't that happy with the end result so I ended up mod-podging a paper serviette over it to hide the faults.
Though I was able to show the finished project we did not end up creating it - perhaps another month we may make it as our group project.  

This is our lunch table

I know I have said this before, but one thing we always get right at our meetings is the food!  We all bring a shared plate & everyone bought something christmas-themed along.  It was wonderful to have the hot food as it was a cold bleak day here.  

Our morning tea table above - Yes Willie, I made Scroggin Slice !
 I reached my hand into my christmas decorations box & pulled out a few little bits to decorate our table & make it feel a bit more mid-winter christmassy.

I picked Sid up at lunchtime on Tuesday as they had parent-teacher interviews.  He wanted to craft so we made this "penguin" above from toilet roll tubes.  Sid has named him "Frank" πŸ˜‰


I captured this photo of Pippi last week ... she had been creeping up on Little One on the deck & thought that she was hidden behind The Mr's farm gumboots.  She was Not impressed when he ran away inside & she couldn't stalk him any longer. 



Wishing you a wonderful week ahead dear friends - remember to be kind to yourselves & to each other,

With much love & friendship to you all,

Love Julie & the furry ones (all 3 of them!) x0x0x

21 comments:

  1. The Joy frames all look great - a simple but very effective idea. Nice to spend time crafting with friends. Daphnes Diary looks like a great magazine - I see it is available here but quite pricey! The leaves look good - something to try again as I can see lots of possibilities and the mug rugs are fun. Peg snowflakes, wow. I love how you have finished yours off. Sid had fun as usual I see. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. HaHa! Bless!x I'm running around the ceiling, more so
    to~day...As it's the first Sunday in August..and that means,
    annual BBQ...Just made a coffee for my daughter, son~in~
    law, in bed behind me...it's nearly eight o'clock, so l must
    get into the kitchen, and start sweating over a hot stove! :).
    Family and friends arriving at three this afternoon...so giving
    out of the loaves and fishes at about four...HeHe! :).

    And..Yes! My daughter brought me a Scoggin Slice down
    yesterday Julie..so l'll see to that a bit later, it has to be cut
    into slices and wrapped, carefully into the deep freeze,,,,!
    (I'll send you a photo of it)...

    Once again it has to be said Julie your away with the fairies,
    it ALL looks lovely, and surprising what one can do with cloths
    pegs...! :).
    I'd love to be a fly on the wall, Julie, when all you ladies get
    together, discussing and showing off all your makes...Lovely!

    HaHa! And look at the face on Miss Pippi...little rascal...Bless!x
    And Sid with his penguin..Frank..l love penguins, but could'nt
    eat a whole one...HeHe! Bless!x Take care...!x
    Well...I must fly, find my frilly apron, and get to work...!
    🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸 🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸 🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸 🌸🌸

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where do I start ? just loved your blog . every thing you make is just wonderful.
    You have so many wonderful ideas.
    Have a lovely week , hugs June.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What lovely craft ideas and having a group of like-minded people working together probably fires everyone's imagination.
    I love Sid's penguin - very jolly.
    Pippi looks so cute, especially with her head between the boots!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to see your creations. The peg idea is really good. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ilona. You can buy bags of the pegs here at the Variety Stores for very cheap. xx

      Delete
  6. So much creativity to celebrate. I love Sid's latest creation - Frank is great! Miss Pippi - very mischievous of her, but is this a good sign?
    Have a good week
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful to celebrate Christmas in July. Not typing much as I have broken my left hand. I will yak about it next week,lol, Hot and a bit too dry here, but my flowers are happy. I enjoy seeing your new plants and find it difficult to think you have a stove going for warmth and singeing your art. L&P XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh Lynn - so sorry to read this. Thats no good - its amazing you could even type that much. Thank You! Yes I have the fire going all day & am off out to get more wood now. Take care of yourself - hope Precious is looking after you πŸ˜‰ xx

      Delete
  8. Looks like a fabulous day you hosted... great idea with challenging one another with different crafts. YOu used to host busloads!!!! the thought terrifies me! haha.... I love Sid's penguin...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous cyclamens. Looks like all the ladies had a fun time/day with the project you chose. Love the peg star & the mug rugs.. Sid's penguin is cute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What fun you must have had Julie - your flowers and fern look amazing - and I do love your peg 'star'... especially with the serviette over it! The leaf art is amazing, even if you did 'over cook' yours... cand those wee mug mats are perfect.
    Loving your celebratory table spreads - well done!! 'Frank' is stunning - love his eyebrows :)!!
    Aren't cats funny - my 6 yr old boy is very tolerant of the new kitten recently introduced to the household... but when he has had enough he asserts his dominance!!
    Your pretty quote is so true
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your Joy framed pieces and adore the mug coasters...so sweet! Shame your pretty painted leaves got too warm. Your lunch table looked delicious. Well done Sid! Frank is awesome πŸ‘Œ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!😊 Yes I was really delighted with the mug coasters too & think I may make some more of them for gifts. xx

      Delete
  12. I remember when we used to get visitors in days gone by! I'd clean,clean,clean til the cows came home! Now I just let folks take me as they find me!!!Would be loved to sit at your table though Julie. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was a lovely idea for a craft. Fun times and a great food spread.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Julie, the frames all look beautiful and the food looked amazing. That look on Madam Pippi's face-------priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gee Julie I remember way back when we first met and you were have big loads of visitors to your cute shop. You look like you feed everyone so well and your place always looks inviting. No doubt your 3 furry friends ran for cover! Sid's new friend Frank looks impressive. My Mum always had impressive maiden hair ferns, she swore by cold tea.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your Christmas crafts look wonderful, I love the snowflake made from clothes-pegs!
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. What's the old saying, "time flies when your having fun", so you must be having a great time Julie, love your peg snowflakes, always wanted to try that, but never got around to it. Your so lucky having a craft group Julie, if only for the food hehe.
    Sid's penguin is so cool, looks like the ones from Madagascar. How are the pussy cats getting along now, any improvement?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the cyclamen in the kettle. The snowflake pegs look great. xx

    ReplyDelete

Hello, & thank you for taking the time to comment on my posts - I read and appreciate each and every one of your comments :-)
I always prefer to reply to your comments by email unless you are a no-reply-blogger in which case I will reply to your comments in this section here. Thanks so much for stopping by to read & comment on my blog x0x