Tuesday, April 30, 2024

School Holidays, Book Clubs & Other Bits

Greetings lovely friends & readers

Just squeezing in a last post on this final day of April.


 If I scratch around I can still find a few flowery pickings in my late autumn garden  💗


Right after I hit Publish on my last post I lit the first fire for the year.  I gathered all my potted plants that usually grace the hearth & moved them down to the hospital corner at the end of my lounge.  This area gets lovely afternoon sun through the French Doors & the plants do well here over the winter months. The quilt is covering The Mr's exercise bike which never ever hardly gets used 😉


The fire has gone most days since I first lit it & various furry friends take turns at sleeping in the prime spot.

School went back for another term yesterday & I breathed a sigh of relief.  I usually enjoy having the Grandsons for the holidays but this time round, for some reason, I found it felt a bit exhausting.  

The first week, when they were mostly here together, we did arts & crafts.  Sid is always right into this, Alec not so much.  I also took Alec to the movies to see Ghostbusters.  This would've been far to scary for Sid to watch.  



During the second week Alec flew with his Mum to Wellington & went on another wonderful tramp together in the Tararua Ranges.

I took Sid to the Domain to practise his soccer skills when the weather permitted.



We made robots together.  Mine is the smiley face one & his is the rather sour face one .......... 

I took Sid to the movies & we saw Kung Fu Panda.  He had an extra large box of popcorn all to himself (!!)


He asked to go Op-shopping 😜 - I parked outside the Op Shop & gave him a talk about how "we don't buy it just because its there & we have to buy something - we buy things we like & need & that are a reasonable price & not trashy or just junk"  (actually Hark at Me as I buy quite a lot of junk !!!) 😉
It clearly worked because we visited 4 different Op-Shops & he only purchased this soft toy Dolphin for $2 ... whilst Granny bought the pretty pale green plate which she fell in love with for $4.

I thought it might look pretty with the green accents that I currently have in my bedroom & felt it went just perfectly when I hung it on the wall   💚


After the Grandsons went home again I did my usual big clean-up & managed an autumnal display on the table in my dining-room corner, using up some of the lovely faded hydrangeas that are currently in the garden.  

I found this casserole dish from Mum's china cabinet that I'd bought home when I cleared out No 44.   It had been an engagement present for them so it's well over 60 years old. It's silver with a glass bowl & lid that sits inside it, very discoloured as you can see.  I remember Mum only ever used it on a couple of special occasions. 


Look at those sweet dainty little feet on it.

I polished it with Silvo & it came up beautifully.  As I was making up a fresh batch of rose petal potpourri I filled the dish & scented it generously with Rose/Geranium Oils.  The lounge smells wonderful & I'm enjoying having the dish on display.


Although I have belonged to my local Paper Plus Bookclub for over 2 years I have never actually attended a meeting, always having good intentions but my going-out-at-night-skills are somewhat lacking.  I knew I wanted to go last Wednesday very much because one of my favorite (local) authors Danielle Hawkins was speaking about her new book. 
I have all 5 of Danielle's earlier books, just love her writing & think she is a wonderful, special person.  The last time I saw her was when she walked in my driveway - you can read about that in this post from 2017.  I loved listening to her talk & then afterwards she would sign our books if we wished.  So it was lovely to get to speak with her again & when I told her I was a Granny now the first thing she asked me was "do you do arts & crafts with your Grandsons?"  Why YES I do!!! 


I am about a quarter of the way through this, her latest book,  & enjoying it immensely. 

Thank you all so very much dear friends if you've stayed til the end.

Wishing you a wonderful rest of the week - remember to be kind to yourselves & to each other,

With much love & friendship to you all,



21 comments:

  1. Lovely post Julie, having the boys around and coming up with things to do would be tiring! Enjoyable but tiring!! Great plate and dolphin found at the op shop, the cats soon find the fire!! Hope they can share the best spot! Great use of your Mums casserole dish Julie. Great night out to see your special author friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely newsy post Julie. Great selfie from the walkers. Nice fun things with the boys and the silver dish has cleaned up a treat. The pretty dish looks perfect in your bedroom too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another lovely post Julie , you live a very busy like .
    I love seeing what you have been up to and pick up so many new tips .
    I use to have my 5 Grand Children on holidays , it is allot of work .
    They have their own children now ,
    It was fun times , have a good week hugs June.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exercise bike...? Exercise bike...? Oh! My!
    That sounds a bit dangerous to me..HeHe! Just peddling
    and going no~where fast..! :). I just breathe now, and that's
    all the exercise l need really, well, no, l do the garden, keep
    my home up together, walk a mile 4~5 times a week...I shop..!
    Job done l suppose..! :O).

    Nice to read that the boys are growing up to be quite talented,
    learning all their skills from their Grandma...Bless! I remember
    growing up, and as we Sicilians tent to be close to ones Grandma,
    l was much closer to mia Mama, and learnt my skills from her...!

    Two more things to mention Julie...the plants look lovely, in their
    selected containers, l love house plants, my home is full of them,
    and the furry ones of course...so where's Blackie, out hunting rabbits,
    bless him...HeHe! :).

    And...As far as shopping in the Charity shops are concerned, Op shops
    as you call them, l tend to by things, usually pink, that l don't really need,
    and then there usually recycled back, to a different Charity shop.....
    The Charity shops in my town, usually keep things pink for me, and even
    phone me, telling me what they've got, and phone calls from two other
    nearby towns, doing the same thing...HeHe! It gets so complicated, l
    usually have to lie down...Bless! :O)
    🎁 🎉 🎁 🎈 🎁 🎉 🎁 🎈 🎁 🎉 🎁 🎈 🎁 🎉 🎁 🎈🎁 🎉 🎁 🎈 🎁

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spending time with young grandchildren is lovely but can be very tiring, because they never stop. Their energy is boundless.
    How lovely to have a 'homegrown' author on your doorstep. Actually, we have an author living nearby - she writes fairy stories for children.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so enjoy your posts Julie - what a busy life you have!
    I live with grand children, but they are old enough to entertain themselves now, rather than me entertain them...although I did have my time at that too.
    My cat has very quickly picked the warmest spot from my heat pump... I have not had a fire for years now - sometimes I miss it.
    I had not heard of Danielle Hawkins - must have a look for her books in the local library - they are pretty good at getting in/buying books too, if you ask.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  7. You had a very busy time with your boys. My NaN always used to say....now you know why you have kids when your young lol! I do love your green plate...gorgeous! Sid showed a discerning taste in his choice. Your Mums dish came up a treat. We are cooler here but no heating required yet . How lovely to met a favourite author xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grandparenting solo is exhausting as much as we love the kiddos and would lay down our lives for them (I get that your other half is busy with work but in my case, solo means solo!). My eldest GD is on study leave at moment so entertaining her 9yr old sister can become expensive!I wouldn't be without them though. Love your green plate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I imagine the older the boys get, the more running around time you do with them instead of quiet days with them at home. Fun seeing the foil robot! You get a sticker for the happy one, lol. And the lovely dahlias. With the poppy picture above. It must have been fun getting an autograph from the writer. Miss Pip and then Little Boy warming up. Here we are above 26 C this week! And just on Thursday April 25 we were only -2 C. That's right, the bird baths had 1/2 inch of ice on them and now I'm sweating for this whole week. But our deciduous trees are now actually leafing out and every morn they are greener and fuller and hiding distance I've looked at all winter. I had a treadmill and finally sold it a few years ago as the winters got less severe and I walk outside. Husband always got lazy and hung his coat on it instead of a hanger and into the closet, lol. Lynn and Precious XX

    ReplyDelete
  10. We used to have my niece and nephew to stay when they were little and while it was lovely, it was exhausting! The furry ones are obviously enjoying the fire in the evenings. The little pot pourri dish looks lovely and I am sure smells lovely. Your green plate looks perfect on the wall.
    What a busy time you have had. Hopefully you'll enjoy a well deserved spot of 'me time' now!
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're just starting to light your fires and we of course are just stopping. The weather here has been very windy and wet. So we are looking forward to seeing a bit more sun soon. We popped to the coast last weekend and i literally was nearly blown away. Roll on Summer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm imagining your tongue was firmly fixed in your cheek as you explained to Sid the 'rules' of op shop shopping. =) I think I need you to be firm with me, upon crossing the threshold of an op shop, too. How fun for you both. Julie, can I sit in the hospital corner with your plants, soak up the sunshine and drink in the ambience of your lovely home?? I'll behave....but then I might accidentally slip your mum's gorgeous dish in my bag. Your mum had some lovely treasures , didn't she?? I won't pilfer anything else.....I promise ...but then.....=) My fire's ablazing today, as well. 'Tis a bit chilly but the sun is streaming through the windows so I'll just pretend winter isn't just around the corner.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You were certainly kept busy with the grandboys. How wonderful that Sid listened and followed the rules of charity/secondhand shopping.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the photos of the arts & crafts Julie .. you are such a good grandmother to do all that with them. My grandmother used to do this with me & I still remember it with such happy memories. Sarah in USA xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sarah ... I really enjoy doing these activities with my grandsons ... I'm hoping to one day introduce them to the sewing machine (!!)xx

      Delete
  15. I love that you got to share op shopping with your grandson. I too resist going out at night, especially in the winter. I have msnaged to book a show though to see a locsl production of Jane Austens Persausion, one of my fave stories.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't know how you do it Julie with your Grandsons, I would be tired to, I don't know how I will cope if I ever have any grandchildren, nice the cats can share the perfect spot. Love your mum's old dish.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like you had lots of fun with the boys. I love the plate you bought. It looks great on the wall. xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have some cool fun with your grandsons. That's awesome Alec is into hiking, my friend takes her four kids hiking all over the place, better than their faces shoved into a phone screen! Fancy your grandson being into Op shopping, I wonder why on earth he go that idea??? Don't tell me about Danielle's new book yet, I haven't started it, I bet it will be good. Quilty hugs from the STILL warm north!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a happy post, everyone is smiling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your sweet kind comment. xx

      Delete

Hello, & thank you for taking the time to comment on my posts - I read and appreciate each and every one of your comments :-)
I always prefer to reply to your comments by email unless you are a no-reply-blogger in which case I will reply to your comments in this section here. Thanks so much for stopping by to read & comment on my blog x0x