Tuesday, July 23, 2024

A Tilda Skating Angel

Greetings lovely friends & readers

It is a rainy grey old day here today (I started this post yesterday)  - a good day to switch the fairy lights on.  I nipped out between the showers & picked some fresh daphne stems. 
 

(This is the Tilda book that the Skating Angel pattern is in)

I made my very first Tilda Skating Angel way back in 2018.  You can read about creating her in * this post * ... I made her to go on my craft stall & she sold very rapidly.  At the time I made her I cut another one out for myself - so here I am just 6 short years later finally finishing her. 



The fur for my Angel was originally cut out to sew a Peekaboo bear for Mum.  Mum had chosen the fur,  then changed her mind so the bag of cut-out-pieces sat in my cupboard for a rather long time.  Once I decided to use the pieces of fur for my Angels clothing I had to try & cut around the already-cut-out-shapes of the Peekaboo bear.  This was really tricky & for many of the coat pieces the fur is not going with the direction of the pile, but thankfully you can't notice it. 

Finally, a week ago, my Angel was completed.
   The top part of her coat & her arms are built into the body  - this is common with Tilda patterns.  The skirt of her coat is separate, as is the collar.  This was the most softest fur, a silvery white tipped with grey - just gorgeous but quite bulky & slippery to sew. 


I had just enough fur left to cut out the 2 circles for her ear muffs - Phew!  The top is craft wire which I've shaped, then covered with velvet ribbon.  I especially loved her fur muff which I edged with lace.  
After I'd finished sewing her I realised she needed some ice skates.   I drew out a cardboard pattern & asked a dear elderly friend to cut them out for me with his scroll saw.  I picked them up last Thursday, sanded them well & then painted them with pumice chalk paint.


I'd originally planned to whitewash the skates but it quickly became clear that the whitewash was not going to adhere to the plywood & I'd need to paint them well - 4 coats each side in fact (!!!)  Finally I was happy with the coverage, then a light sand to finish.  


Using a metal skewer I poked a small hole in the seam of the fur boots & then affixed the pointy part of the skates up into this.  I thought they turned out a perfect size for the boots.


Such poor light inside today that I've decided to photograph her out on the deck table. I was really pleased with my Angel but felt she now needed her own special place to sit. 

This old hatbox has been in the wardrobe in my sleepout for a very long time!  I pulled it out, cleaned it well & removed the broken lid.  Over the weekend I gave it a couple of coats of chalk paint in the colour Old Linen.  It covered really well, drying by the fire between coats.


This is how I work at times - see top right photo.  When I cannot choose or decide upon a transfer I sit them in place & walk past them, sometimes this process takes me a couple of days ... I am very much a visual person.  Finally I chose the one with the red flowers as I felt this complimented her floral skirt.  


I wanted to add a tag to my hatbox so I painted a wooden one, then applied offcuts of the transfer to it, tied it on with thin leather thonging.  Really, really happy with how the hatbox turned out πŸ’—

I'm delighted that I've finally bought my Angel to life after sitting in a bag for 6 years (!!)  She makes an ideal winter decor piece too & I think she will be wonderful amongst my Christmas decor.


It was the final week of school holidays here in New Zealand & my Grandsons came for some of the days.  Sid is always happy to craft but Alec not so much these days & I don't force him.


I'd traced a heart onto some calico & asked Sid if he'd like to draw/decorate the heart for his Mum,  then Granny could sew a backing onto it & we could both stuff it together.  He chose to draw a rainbow & write a message to his Mum on it.  We stuffed this with some wadding & some lavender so it smelt wonderful. He then made an avocado using the same process ... why an avocado I have no idea πŸ˜‰



I took them both to the skatepark as Alec had his scooter, they kicked soccer balls around & played in the playground.  It was wonderful to have sunshine & blue sky for a couple of hours.  

Dear friends - can you see the Lump under the quilt??  That is Madam Pip who is not receiving any callers today.  Her silly Mother (Yours truly!!) has propped the quilt up with a cushion so she doesn't suffocate.  There are a zillion cosy places to curl up but Oh No - she has chosen this !!!


Thank you for staying with me through this photo heavy/rambly post,

Wishing you all a wonderful week ahead dear friends - remember to be kind to yourselves & to each other,

With much love & friendship to you all,



26 comments:

  1. Your angel is beautiful, love the fur & the skates are just perfect. Her seat/hatbox is gorgeous. My Bengal insists on quilts to sleep in. I have to lay part of it out, put her on it & then tent the rest over her. She loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a heartwarming journey with my Tilda Skating Angel! After years tucked away, she finally came to life with such grace and charm. From sewing her soft, silvery coat to crafting delicate ear muffs and painstakingly painting tiny ice skates, each detail added to her whimsical allure. Finding her a home in an old hatbox transformed with care and adorned with a special tag felt like the perfect final touch. She now graces my winter decor, promising to bring joy amidst Christmas celebrations. Sharing these moments with my grandsons during their school holidays, crafting hearts and avocado surprises, brought warmth and laughter. Amidst it all, Madam Pip's cozy antics remind me to cherish the simple pleasures of home. Here's to embracing creativity, cherishing family moments, and spreading kindness—a truly wonderful week lies ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been following for some time now Julie...
    Always look forward to your posts, as does my daughter now! :).
    I still send it on to her to read and enjoy....!
    As a 'very' talented crafts~lady, the beautiful things you produce,
    with the help of Miss Pippi of course...! :O).
    Your items are so complete, everything is taken care of, the above
    angel, nothing is missing, left out, or forgotten..."What it is..What it is".
    The earmuffs, the collar, even down to the skates....Amazing...!

    And nice to see young Sid, crafting, tell him from me to stick with it, it's
    the way l was raised, from a small boy, and l still have to do a bit of
    crafting, repairs usually...buttons, sewing, etc..etc...
    Good luck to him...! :O).

    Well...I must be off, more Virginia Creeper to cut back and trim, out front,
    and the sun's just about to put in an appearance. think summer has finally
    arrived here in the UK...Kids, break up from school to~day, summer holidays,
    so, it'd all go for the next few months....Bless! :O).
    πŸ’›πŸŒ±πŸŒΈπŸŒ±πŸ’›πŸŒ±πŸŒΈπŸŒ±πŸ’›πŸŒ±πŸŒΈπŸŒ±πŸ’œπŸŒ±πŸŒΈπŸŒ±πŸ’›πŸŒ±πŸŒΈπŸŒ±πŸ’œπŸŒ±πŸŒΈπŸŒ±πŸ’œ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, you know me Julie! But great work and I love that she has her own special seat. Sid has done a good job with his crafting, I hope Mum was suitably impressed. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your skating angel looks so happy on her hat box. I love the details, especially the lace trimming to her muff and her ear muffs.
    Sid has a lovely smile. It's so nice that he and Alec can see each other and spend time together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. kiwimeskreations has left a new comment on your post "A Tilda Skating Angel":

    Oh isn't Madam Pip just a typical cat with a doting Mama - I would do likewise for my Tinker! Although he was in my bad books this afternoon after all but breaking off the tip of new growth on a rock orchid - he was NOT POPULAR. As it appeared to be bent, not broken, I have splitted it with a match and washi tape!! But I suspect that was going to be my flower spike for the year ...
    Loving your Tilda angel - what a beauty she turned out to be.
    What fun to be able to get out and into the prak playground with the boys - I am sure they appreciated it too.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another beautiful project which is perfect for the Winter. It was such a good use for the fur pieces too, even if it was a bit tricky. Her hatbox suits her very well too. Sid looks very pleased with his craft projects - good for him! I am sure his Mum was really touched to receive the gifts. Cats are a law unto themselves, aren't they? But that's one of the many reasons we love them!
    Have a happy week
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Only thing I've been sewing lately are the winning badges from horsey events, on sleeves of various sweatshirts!Winter Angel is Divine - maybe that could be her new name?! Well done Julie.xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. How beautifully you plan and complete all your projects, Julie. Oh that little suitcase...I nearly choked on my intake of breath!!!
    Hugs
    Jennifer (who thinks your skating angel is gorgeous too...)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The avocado made me smile. Sid has imagination and let us hope it continues on. The angel looks so snugly to want to pick up and hold. And now your hat box has not gone unused or unwanted. Big enough to pack doll clothes if for a trip to Christmas Land. You are definitely a motivated sewer and crafter with great flair. I bet your Mum would have loved to see the fur put to good use. Here we are experiencing a drought with little chance of rain. After 4 months of non stop rain and now we can't scare any up. And my husband brought covid into our home last week after his bike adventure. Now we are miserable. Of course, I have to play nurse while being very very sick and he plays poor invalid. Oh well, it has to end one day, lol. Lynn and Precious XX

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your Tilda snow angel Julie, she looks so cute sitting on the old hat box, I would love to get some of those iod transfers, but they are not in my budget atm. I'm surprised you get either of your grandsons to craft, love Sids heart and avocado. Oh I would choose to be under that wonderful quilt to, miss pippi has style:-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh my gosh, what a gorgeous angel and I think it must have been so hard and fiddly working with that fur in such small pieces! lovely pieces Sid has made too....
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fiona has left a new comment on your post "A Tilda Skating Angel":

    oh my gosh, what a gorgeous angel and I think it must have been so hard and fiddly working with that fur in such small pieces! lovely pieces Sid has made too....
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your skating Angel is a winter goddess! I bet she she sooo very soft, look out or one of the cats might think so too. It's obvious why Sid created an avocado, they are yummy! Perhaps he wanted some on toast for lunch? Cats n' quilts - they LOVE them! Keep that fire going and the crafting Julie xox

    ReplyDelete
  15. Julie your Skating Angel is beautiful. All her little details too. The hatbox is gorgeous and perfect for a lady in white to sit…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Sandy ... I am really pleased with how she has turned out too 🀍xx

      Delete
  16. I love your skating angel! What a magnificent job you've done of bringing her to life. And her display case is perfect! I was interested to see your daphne flowers. That is a new plant for me. Is it fragrant? Your grandson seems to have inherited your artistry!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think your Skating Angel is the perfect winter accessory Julie. I would leave her out all year round she is so beautiful. How special that you finally bought her to life. Sid makes me smile with his avocado. Sarah in USA xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You so much Sarah. I really love my skating Angel too. Yes I don't honestly know why Sid chose an avocado but it turned out great I thought. Have a lovely day Sarah xx

      Delete
  18. Your skating angel is just perfect and I love what she is sitting on, perfection. I also have a couple of projects that have been sitting unfinished for awhile, and I really need to get at them.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful post Julie, I could have read for longer! Your angel is stunning, she looks very happy on the beautifully decorated hat box. Nice to spend time with the boys, did you find out why the avocado?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the way you decorated the hat box, your snow angel is delightful :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Skating Angel is so beautiful and her hotbox perch is just perfect. That fur is perfect and clever friend making her skates. Great crafting with Sid. Cool but sunny here today xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oohh Julie the skating angel is that indeed. Beautiful. Love the old hat box you decorated, perfect. Quilts and cats, they go together don't they. Miss Pippi keeps you guessing what he will do next or where she will plonk herself.Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your angel is gorgeous Julie. So does the hatbox. I love your quilt. I'd love to make that one day, hopefully for a granddaughter (wink wink!)

    ReplyDelete

Hello, & thank you for taking the time to comment on my posts - I read and appreciate each and every one of your comments :-)
I always prefer to reply to your comments by email unless you are a no-reply-blogger in which case I will reply to your comments in this section here. Thanks so much for stopping by to read & comment on my blog x0x