Monday, July 20, 2026

Mid Wintery July Days

Greetings lovely friends & readers

My first vase of Daphne for the winter season.

  I was unloading a trailer of firewood & wondered what the lovely fragrance was when I realised my daphne bushes were in full bloom - so special 💗


It has been mid winter school holidays here in New Zealand.  Sid & his family spent the first week on holiday in Fiji.  Sid's Mum's best friend turned 40 so 3 families decided to fly to Fiji to celebrate the occasion.


They had a wonderful week away with beautiful weather & froze when they returned home again. 


The second week of the holidays was spent mostly at Granny's house.  We did lots of things to entertain him & keep him off devices.  
We baked banana breads & did Paw Patrol Diamond Art projects.  We went to see the Super Mario Brothers Movie & Granny may or may not have fallen asleep during it 😳!!  


We ate pizzas, & we picked lots of citrus fruit & gave away to friends as my trees are laden.  We also took bags of citrus fruit into the Sharing Shed when we went to town.  
Sid made this little arrangement above using a cat tea-towel I was gifted for my birthday.  


While he watched YouTube football videos I managed some handwork & completed the Velvet Chatelaine that I started at Sewing Retreat in June. 


The round beaded lid lifts off to reveal a holder for your tape measure.  The beaded leaf flips up to reveal a space for your thimble.


The largest velvet "rock" is filled with powdered emery so it keeps your pins nice & sharp.  The corner pocket is a holder to keep your scissors in.  


Here is the back view & also the pattern.  This came as a kitset which I thrifted sometime early last year at the same time as I thrifted the Velvet Journal Cover in this post.  I am so pleased this is finished, I love it but I shall NoT be making another one as it was "challenging" at times 😉


I think the name is so appropriate ... "A little bit of Magic - a fantasy chatelaine "



Just prior to my trip down to visit my friend Sandy in my last post I finished this book.  This would be without a doubt one of the best books I have ever read & I truly could not put it down.  It is an intense, gritty read, not my usual genre, but honestly such a well written book.  I am on the lookout for more of Jeanine Cummins work now.  If you've ever read this please leave me a comment & let me know if you enjoyed it or not.  



Each month when I do my big grocery shop I pick up a copy of  NZ Gardener magazine which I love.  A couple of months ago they had an offer where you could send in an SAE & receive a free packet of pansy seeds so I did this. 
I duly sowed them in my handmade wool blanket seedling pots & they all grew really well - so this morning I decided to prick them all out into larger pots.  I've currently put them in the hospital corner of my lounge so I can keep an eye on them & keep them watered.  I'm hoping I get a nice variety of different pansies. 


Miss Pippi is really happy this morning because (a) school went back today so no Sid & (b) her Mother gave her two boxes to sleep in so she gets some variety 😉.  And this photo of Little One is just for you Ellie as you asked after him & I wanted you to see he is living such a stress-free life 😝


Thank you all as always dear friends, for your welcome visits here today,
Wishing you a wonderful week ahead filled with special moments,
Sending much love & friendship to you all,







15 comments:

  1. What a beautiful Chatelaine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. fantastik şato çok güzel olmuş elinize sağlık. Hülya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From google translate .....
      The fantasy castle turned out beautifully—great job. Hülya

      Delete
  3. I too love daphne, but have not got one at present - one day I will be able to have one...
    Sid seems to have developed a great 'eye' to be able to make such a wonderful arrangement for you - well done Sid!!
    Loving you chatelaine - it certainly was an adventure with loads of techniques, but what a fabulous finished article!!
    Your cats are as loved and (dare I say it) spoilt as ours :)
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vase..? Vase..? Vase..? HeHe! are you allowed to use language
    like that....You know my feelings about flowers in vases...! :(.
    Though my most favorite photo this time round is the one
    with the lemons...not the daffodils..don't like daffodils..! :(.
    The lemons look lovely...good enough to eat..!

    Fiji..That sounds very grand...looks like a fun time was had by
    all....and a 40th birthday....think l was forty once...only once
    mind..! :).

    Oh! Love the Velvet Chatelaine...that's amazing that is..and the
    little pink scissors to...that's 'ALL' very special..Lovely..!

    And...Finishing up with two of the furry special ones...! :)xx
    And...As a 'sayings' person..love the one at the bottom there...
    Most of the day should have happiness in...Bless! :O)
    ♫♪•*¨*•.¸🔥💛🔥¸.•*¨*•♪♫  ♫♪•*¨*•.¸🔥💛🔥¸.•*¨*•♪♫ 

    ReplyDelete
  5. The chatelaine is really beautiful. What a lot of careful, painstaking work went into it.
    Every time I hear someone sing the praises of Daphne I think. 'I should get one of those' and then promptly forget.
    I'm glad the cats are enjoying some peace how, though I'm sure Sid isn't tremendously noisy. Cats don't like their routine to be upset, do they?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved American Dirt. Very powerful.and sad but very well written. I couldn't read it again! Beautiful work on the chatelaine. I adore the fragrance of the Daphne tree.have a good week Julie.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Julie - you know how much I love to see Little One (no disrespect to the others, of course!) Miss Pip looks very happy with her choice of boxes. Your chatelaine is a thing of beauty as well as being useful - William Morris would be proud! Sid is a lucky boy with all his activities. Happy moments in a day are always good to aim for - we all need them!
    Have a lovely rest of the week.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your chatelaine ( a word new to me) is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Yes it was new to me too until I got the kitset. It is a French word apparently. xx

      Delete
  9. Fiji! What a dream vacation. So glad they could go and enjoy while Sid is old enough to appreciate and young enough to be with parents. You have some signs of winter passing along. A few outdoor flowers and now sprouts indoors! Can they go into the greenhouse anytime soon? You know I so love the mushrooms. We have pleasant weather today and deserve it after the past 4 or 5 weeks of intense heat. Friday we had the Canadian forest fire smoke so bad, it rolled down like a heavy fog and was dangerous to go outside. I only ran for the mail box. These fires are about 1,500 miles away and the smoke has carried so far. I feel terrible about them. Nice to see Miss Pip being treated to 2 boxes and Little One is happy. How's that Blackie doing? Still trying your patience by disappearing? Lynn and Precious XX

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fiji - what an amazing holiday that was I am sure. I bought a similar mushroom kit as a Christmas gift for a friend of mine. I don't know if she ever worked it . . . I like the idea of something circular to keep my (many!) tape measures tidy though. The one I am currently using is dangling over the back of the nearest chair right now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi for the third time. I just visited your blog and am I awe of all you do as always. Some of the items look so complicated and so kudos to you.
    Happy belated birthday 🥳 to you. Love sandy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the chatelaine, so pretty. Pippi and Little One seem to be very comfortable. Both are just lovely. Sid looks like he was having a great time with you.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Julie,
    I loved seeing what all you did with your grandson. That sweet arrangement he made!!! How precious!! The chatelaine is absolutely beautiful. You blow my mind with your gift of creativity! I hope you have the "bestest" week!!! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, & thank you for taking the time to comment on my posts - I read and appreciate each and every one of your comments :-)
I always prefer to reply to your comments by email unless you are a no-reply-blogger in which case I will reply to your comments in this section here. Thanks so much for stopping by to read & comment on my blog x0x