Greetings lovely friends & readers,
Several months ago The Mr cleared out the old haybarn at the farm - it was due to be demolished as the rear of it had collapsed quite some time ago.
Although we called it the old haybarn it was a very long time since hay had been stored in it, the farm now having a much newer haybarn. The old haybarn was filled with junk farming paraphernalia. Milkers that came & went frequently left behind furniture they no longer wanted in the old haybarn. And so it was that The Mr came home with this old wooden cupboard & asked me if I wanted it? Otherwise it was going in the burning hole.
Well - Yes Please !! I thought I could do something with it (wasn't sure what exactly) .... & I particularly loved the slightly retro vibe of it.
The cupboard door was intact when it came home but once Blackie jumped up on it, the hinges gave way & it fell in. I'm saying nothing about Blackies weight please note 😉
And so it sat for several months on the deck ... you can see it even became a cat sleeping place with old towels tossed on it. Blackie especially loved sleeping on it. Then our house got painted & the painters stacked all their gear on it as well as tins of paint & covered the whole lot up with a drop cloth. It sat like this for another couple of months. Once the painters finished & took all their gear I still had no inclination to do anything with it. After my trip away to Sandy's I knew the time had come to tackle the cupboard & tidy up the deck area.
Well thank goodness for that as quite frankly - I hadn't a clue!! 😉
I then oiled it using the leftover oil from our new deck back in * this post * - mostly because I loved how this applied so well & I didn't wish to stain the unit, just oil it. Gosh did it drink it up!!! Three generous coats later, it was time to repair the feet.
I purchased some half round dowel from Mitre 10 - I couldn't get small enough so it would be slightly larger than the undamaged foot. As you can see, things take twice as long around here due to the unwanted assistance furry supervision 😉. Blackie was rather delighted I was repairing his favorite sleeping place (!!)
Finally, on Tuesday, I got to move it into place on my deck area, right where the old dog kennel has sat for years. To say I am delighted with how it has turned out is an understatement. I LoVe it 🤎 & can't wait to decorate it prettily for the festive season. For now I've just plonked my vintage scales on top.
![]() |
| Note to self ... you need to iron the crease out of the middle Julie |
This appeared in my inbox this morning - sent from The Mr. I am ashamed to confess I can tick most all of these as a Yes (!!)
Wishing you all a wonderful weekend dear friends,
Thank you for your ever-welcome visits here today,
Sending much love & friendship to you all,
,
gear



-fotor-20260724132650.jpg)
-fotor-2026072413261.jpg)

-fotor-20260724132637.jpg)
-fotor-20260724133437.jpg)
-fotor-20260724132532.jpg)
-fotor-20260724132516.jpg)
-fotor-20260724133030.jpg)





Oh Julie what an absolutely fabulous piece of furniture you saved! It turned out gorgeous! Much nicer than a sort hangout spot for the cats & painters. Your cats are hilarious! Never a dull moment. The tearowels are pretty, hopefully the Mr or the cats don't wipe their mitts/paws on them. Grey day here in the winterless north too.
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure why my first comment says Anonymous.......But I guess there's some clues as to who I am?
ReplyDelete