Saturday, July 11, 2026

Two Birthdays & An Aeroplane Flight ✈️

Greetings lovely friends & readers

And Welcome to the month of July !!

On my table today a jug of felt daisies, handmade by my friend Carolyn, along with a small bunch of roses from my friend Shirley.
 

On the very last day of June I celebrated another birthday, 66 years around the sun 🌞!! We had a simple family lunch together the Sunday prior, & The Mr surprised me with this stunning (& delicious) carrot cake from a local Bakery.





I was very spoilt indeed & received some wonderful gifts from family & friends  💗

A few days after my birthday I boarded a plane & flew down to the South Island to visit my dear friend Sandy.  Sandy & I met when our youngest sons were in Primary School so it is a friendship that has spanned several decades.  

Three & half years ago Sandy moved to the South Island to live just outside of Christchurch, & every year I would promise her that I would visit.  This year I finally did & I chose July because both our birthdays are within a few days of each other.  


The day after my arrival - Sandy's birthday - we drove to Kaiapoi as we were booked into Paris for the Weekend for a High Tea. 


What a wonderful experience it was - those Pink Scones were Vanilla & Rose & they were just so delicious !! We had such a lovely High Tea together ... 3 tiers of food & Yes we ate it all!!


After lunch we drove into the city, parked, did some shopping, walked to the Riverside Markets & then down to the brand new Te Kaha Stadium, only opened in March of this year.  It was stunning.


Then we walked back up to the Bridge of Remembrance & on along the Avon River which runs right through the centre of the city.


We both wanted to see the Memorial Wall which is in memory of the Christchurch Earthquake of February 2011 & the 185 lives that were lost.  It was a very sacred place & beautifully scripted.


Later that day we were booked into Strawberry Fare where we enjoyed Mocktails & Desserts.  By the time we drove home the rain was setting in but what a wonderful day to remember, celebrating our birthdays & friendship.


The weather stayed wet & cold for the remainder of my trip but I did manage to paint a table for Sandy in her garage.  I'd forgotten to take a before photo but it was a patchwork of different pinks as Sandy had confused herself trying to choose a shade.  We both settled on Pale Rose which I've used before & is a lovely soft pink - it still needs one more coat in my last photo. 


Everything Sandy does is done with such exquisite taste & her home is no different.  It was lovely & peaceful tucked away down a Close.  

Prior to my trip I'd sewn a drawstring pouch from some Japanese Woven fabric & added a tissue & a triangle zipper pouch to match.  I'd filled it with a selection of soaps, washcloths, matches box & this diamond art bookmark that Sid & I made.  Sandy loved her gifts.  
All too soon it was time to fly home again & we have promised each other we won't leave it so long next time.  Next time I fly South I shall definitely choose the warmer months though.

And you will be wondering what a certain ginger furry being thought of Mum being away AGAIN in less than a month ???

She doesn't wish to talk about such a despicable thing (!!!) 😉

Have a wonderful weekend dear friends,
I shall get around to visiting you all at your blogs now I am home again,
Sending much love & friendship to you all.








31 comments:

  1. A cake from the Mr! You must have been being good 🤭 Happy belated birthday, and I'm glad your little south island trip was fun. High tea looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue. Yes we had a great time together but gosh, it was cold down there. Much milder up here in the Waikato. xx

      Delete
  2. It sounds like you and Sandy both had a good time celebrating your birthdays together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Gretchen, we did have a wonderful time together thank you. It felt like I blinked & it was time to come home. Have a lovely week Gretchen. xx

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday Julie! The cake is stunning and you had some lovely gifts. High tea looks delicious, what a great trip and shared birthday celebrations. I love Sandy's blue and white collection. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday, Julie, and to your friend, Sandy. Your carrot cake looked so pretty. It was such a lovely idea to visit your friend and have a joint celebration. Old friendships need to be nurtured, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julie! What a wonderful time you seemed to have had! Happy “belated”
    Birthday!!! That cake looks beautiful! Carrot is one of my favorites! My birthday is in June too! I had a small carrot cake! Friendship like that are so rare and precious! What a blessing. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Chrissie & thanks for the birthday wishes. Carrot Cake is one of my favorites too - that one was delicious! Have a lovely week Chrissie. xx

      Delete
  6. Happy belated birthday. What a gorgeous cake and some lovely gifts too. Then, down to see your dear friend in Christchurch. I recognized some of the places you went to. That high tea looked delicious. A real treat. I looked up where you went and recognized Lyttleton, where there was an amazing street market. My friend lives in Rangiora, so you were in her neck of the woods when you went to Kaiapoi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. It was a wonderful time together & over much too soon. I do remember when you did your trip last year I think it was ? I remember many of the places on your blog post seemed familiar. xx

      Delete
  7. HeHe! Celebrating age 66 means you are "officially 24,106 days old",
    or that you are just "33 twice"...!
    At this stage, your birthday cake is a serious fire hazard, you’re an
    "oldie but a goodie", and your underwear brand of choice is always
    "It Depends'.....! :O).

    Seriously though...A very Happy Burfday Julie...! And to your lovely
    friend, Sandy...Goodness! I was 66 twelve years ago....Here l am...
    feeling like an eighteen year old.....
    Wonder if l can find one, female of course...! HeHe! Behave yourself
    Willie...! :O).

    I know l've said it before, but one of the things l look forward to in your
    posts Julie...Are the photos, they are quite amazing...and in so much
    detail..!
    And..And...As long as there's 'AT' least 'ONE' pussy~cat involved...I'm
    here for life..Great! :O).

    Well...Were into our third heatwave in as many months, over here, and
    as of yesterday, to~day in 30+ and they are talking of 40+ next week....
    I have cleared out the food and shelves from the fridge...that is were
    l'm sleeping every night now....HeHe! And..If you believe that..? :O).

    Must get on...Another 'cold' drink is called for..!
    I'll sign off quietly...As l don't want to wake Miss Pippi....Bless her..! :)x
    💥🔥🧨🕛🥳🎉💥🔥🧨🕛🥳💥🔥💥🧨🕛🥳🎉💥🔥🧨🕛

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy belated birthday Julie. Christchurch is a lovely place to visit. Looks like you had a great trip.
    Julie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful way to spend your birthday two times over! The Mr. has come up with some great birthday cakes in the past too. Figure when he's done with dairy he can open a bakery of his very own. It looked yummy. And nice thoughtful gifts. You were thoughtful to paint your friend's table. You have the knack for it no doubt. It looked a lovely place to visit and now whenever you do go back you know a bit of what it has to offer there. Not at all envious of the flight. Have not flown since maybe 1990 or so and have no plans to, lol. I am sure it was lovely to come home from the trip to a warm wood fire going, a cup of tea and maybe 3 cats on your lap at one time to thaw you out a bit. Precious looks like grey melted wax and I feel awful. The real feel temp is 41 and it has been this way for 2 straight weeks with the next no better. After all our cold and wet for months it is making up for lost time. The farmers got off the wheat and straw last week and good thing as we got 3 inches of rain here Thursday night with more off and on to go with it. Inside reading mostly. Lynn and Precious XX

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy belated birthday! Some lovely gifts there too.
    How wonderful to be able to send some time with a good friend and you have some lovely memories of the time you spent together.
    I hope Miss Pip has forgiven you. How is Little One doing?
    Have a good week.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Belated birthday Julie. Sounds like a wonderful trip away & a lovely way to celebrate both birthdays. I do hope Miss Pip has forgiven you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday Julie, a wonderful way to celebrate...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  13. Julie, what a treat to celebrate our birthdays together after 3 yrs apart. Our time together was lovely creating special memories. Thankyou for visiting xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandy - yes it was special & over far too fast. But we shall do it again sometime - perhaps in the milder months when it is not too hot or too cold 😉 Thank you for having me to stay Sandy. xx

      Delete
  14. I'm happy to see that you were well-treated for your birthday. You definitely deserve it, my friend!
    What a lovely getaway with your friend. I love all the things you were able to do together. And those scones sound amazing!
    You made such a sweet gift package!
    When you leave the Ginger behind, you will be punished! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Julie. I am a late June birthday too - how special, but of course it is mid summer here, not winter as in your country. It looks & sounds like both you & Sandy had a wonderful time together. Special times. Sarah USA xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sarah & belated birthday wishes to you too!! 💙xx

      Delete
  16. What a lovely trip and you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much Kim - it was a wonderful time away but I always love coming home again too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Birthday Julie , Sorry I am late .
    So looks like you had a great time .
    Always love your blog ,so much going on and beautiful goodies.
    Here we are melting can't do anything in this heat we are not use to it .
    3 weeks now of over 30 It's just to hot . we did have some wind yesterday which was nice .
    But today is another hot one.
    Take care and enjoy a great week , hugs June.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So nice you got to celebrate your birthday with a lovely friend and wonderful tea and treats. Well done to the Mr for getting you a beautiful birthday cake. Lovely presents for your friend. I hope Miss Pippi has recovered from being deserted!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. A lovely cake and lots of special gifts. Look at all the memories you got to make with your old friend. So glad that you had a wonderful visit and celebration with her. You made her some gorgeous gifts, and the painted table is perfection.
    Pretty sure Pippi will get over feeling that you deserted her.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Many happy returns! Im glad you were able to visit your friend Sandy and that you made some happy memories together. Betty

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh what a wonderful trip - and birthday(s)
    Many belated greetings for the day - and congratulation on 66 sun orbits!
    I recognise the carpet in the lounge of the departure airport - I've been there a few time recently taking and picking up a friend.
    Your high tea and mocktails look amazing - so glad to hear you had a wonderful time - even if the ginger one DID NOT APPROVE!!
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  23. Belated birthday greetings! The south is beautiful - I am so glad you were able to travel and spend time with your friend. Friendship is truly one of life's best gifts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much J.J. We had a wonderful time together - you are so right about Friendship, it is special. xx

      Delete
  24. Happy belated birthday Julie, looks like you had a fabulous time :)
    Gail x

    ReplyDelete

Hello, & thank you for taking the time to comment on my posts - I read and appreciate each and every one of your comments :-)
I always prefer to reply to your comments by email unless you are a no-reply-blogger in which case I will reply to your comments in this section here. Thanks so much for stopping by to read & comment on my blog x0x