Thursday, August 20, 2026

Scrappy Sewing ~ Part One

 Greetings lovely friends & readers


I have been outside weeding & decided to pick myself a small bunch of spring flowers to sit on my bench  ๐Ÿ’— (Sorry Willie) ๐Ÿ˜‰

I've quite a bit of scrappy sewing to share with you & have decided to split it into 2 parts as I don't want this post to be too long winded.

Scrappy Project No 1 :
In * this recent post * I mentioned that I wanted to make some Christmas Stockings for a charity that I sew for, using up some of my wool blanket scraps.  Once I got my prototype right I was able to  sew up a dozen of them, lining them all with Christmas fabric scraps of which I have many.  


When I am batch sewing, to keep it interesting for myself, I try to make them all different & I enjoyed matching the wool blanket to the fabric scraps - having a good variety. 


Once I'd finished a dozen I thought I'd try some larger Adult sized stockings - you can see by my pic that I just enlarged my pattern to make it bigger.  I made 4 of these & I plan to make more small & large sized ones as I have lots of lovely wool blanket oddments.

I noticed the large Variety Store in my town had big signs on their windows saying 50 % Off Storewide so I took the opportunity to purchase some bubbles & balloons for the children's stockings.   I plan to add a candy cane & a chocolate Santa which will fit nicely.  For the adult sized ones I am thinking one of my knitted washcloths, a soap & a chocolate ???  Still not sure ...... 

Scrappy Project No 2 :


My friend Gail volunteers in our local St Johns Op-Shop & decided to rescue some of the many pairs of Jeans that get tossed in the bin.  She tore the pockets off them & at our last craft group meeting we got to choose a pocket to "do something creative with". Here is the one I chose top left.  It sat in my sewing room for many weeks & finally I decided to revamp/upcycle it.  I found this red truck amongst my transfers so I applied this to the pocket & then filled it with some festive florals. I added 3 rusty heart studs to the pocket & lightly frayed the edges.

My original plan was to mount the pocket in an old frame but then I found this thin dowel amongst my oddments so I thought I'd paint it a Christmas green.  I only had bright green paint but I was able to tone it down by mixing some black with it.  You don't have to go out & buy supplies dear friends - there is often a way around it.  ๐Ÿ˜‰


I threaded my dowel through the Jean tabs & then tied some torn fabric & some bells to each end.  I strung a length of rusty wire as a hanger.  



Here is the back view. 

Here is the finished Pocket.  

This is one project that I was absolutely happy with once I'd finished.  (I've been going through a stage, which is lasting about a year, of not being happy with my finished items.) 


(Click on the image to enlarge it)

We had our August meeting last Monday & 2 of the other ladies had finished their pockets.   Sharlaine had made a gorgeous denim feather from hers as well as begun some Sashiko work to be made into a project ... Gail had embellished her pocket & then made it into a zippered pouch.  I love seeing all the different ideas.

Scrappy Project No 3:

One of our craft group ladies - Maureen, bought along a bag of items she'd decluttered from her sewing room to be donated.  I found this cross stitch screwed up at the bottom & asked if I might have it.  I bought it home & went to iron it, then realised it was very marked with what I call age spots.  I soaked it in a gentle mix of Napisan which thankfully removed the age spots without the thread colours running. I wanted to make it into a cushion as I loved it so.

I also wanted to use fabrics I already had & not purchase anything.  This dark burgundy tonal fabric went well with it along with a forest green I had just enough of.  I decided to use the burgundy to make a peeper around the edge.  

Again I am thrilled with how this turned out & love the colours in it.  I backed it with the burgundy & did have to purchase a zipper as I only had white.  In hindsight I should have backed the cross stitch with something as it was very flimsy to work with ... but it's fine as a decorative cushion.  


Last Saturday I met my friend Sue at a cafe at Ohaupo for a catch-up & she presented me with the most wonderful gift.  Sue finds the most amazing treasures in her Op-shop travels & gifted me these 2 Cath Kidston mugs along with the sweet little patchwork hen.  Love, love love ...........  Thank You So Much Sue!!  ๐Ÿ˜ป

Thank you, as always dear friends, for your ever-welcome visits here today,

I shall be back soon with Part two which is real scrappy sewing (!!)

Sending much love & friendship to you all,












27 comments:

  1. Love. Love. Love your Christmas stockings. Perfect gifts for those who will receive them. The Christmas pocket is stunning hanging in a little nook space. The cross stitch cushion, beautiful…. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much dear Sandy. I am thrilled with how the Christmas pocket turned out & yes it will look great hanging from a doorknob or something similar. xx

      Delete
  2. Beautiful post Julie, great stockings big and small. Great pocket transformation and great save on the cross stitch cushion. Lovely to catch up with Sue and get the lovely mugs. The little hen is super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HaHa! Thankyou Julie....But l shall 'never. forgive you or anyone
    who cuts flowers and puts them in a vase, vase or vase...1 :O).
    HaHa! And even worse, puts them on a window-sill :O(.
    Poor flowers...I'll offer a prayer, before l go to sleep to~night..!

    The voice of a shepherd is a familiar, gentle, and distinct sound
    that sheep learn to know and trust.
    In agriculture and biblical tradition, sheep ignore strangers and
    only follow their own shepherd because they recognize his unique
    call.......And...Of course we 'ALL' know who the 'Good Shepherd' is...!

    And the Jeans pocket is a great idea, even if the pockets were left
    on the Jeans...I love cloths to be different, mine certainly are, there
    are 'NO' two style Willie's on the planet....! Not in dress anyway....! :).

    Well...we had rain yesterday, first in months, not that it made much
    difference...and there forecasting heatwaves in September...! :O(.
    ๐Ÿ’ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿงจ๐Ÿ•›๐Ÿฅณ๐ŸŽ‰๐Ÿ’ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿงจ๐Ÿ•›๐Ÿฅณ๐Ÿ’ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ’ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿงจ๐Ÿ•›๐Ÿฅณ๐ŸŽ‰๐Ÿ’ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful Shepherd quote Wilie, very special. Umm, I'm a lover of flowers in a vase !!Always try and have flowers throughout the year. So cheerful and colourful.

      Delete
    2. Thankyou Shirley....Yes! I am a Catholic, raised a Catholic.....
      I know my bible and Catechism....But...Alas, for many years
      now, l have been a 'Lapsed Catholic'. I believe in what l choose
      to believe in..and that's that...!
      "And the lord said unto Moses...Come forth..Come forth.."
      And he came fifth and lost his beer money...? HeHe! Bless!

      Delete
  4. I see Little One is enjoy a cuppa in your pretty new cups! What a fun gift. I amaze that someone would go to all the time to cross stitch such a lovely picture and then rather ignore it. Lucky find for you and it makes a great pillow. Good time of year for you to do all these smalls while waiting for Spring to be planting season. You'll have them ready and have your hands free for outside. Liked seeing the pocket on instagram. There was a fad years ago when I crafted more, to use jean pockets for a fancy change purse by decorating and making a flap over for a closing. Only if I found free old jeans would I think of making anything today. Old clothes at Goodwill are expensive today! Another 3/4 inch of rain this morn. I biked 3 morns this week, today will have to be a day off. It is to be 26 C today. Warmer over the weekend. Lynn and Precious XX

    ReplyDelete
  5. II am so sorry to hear that you haven't been happy with your projects. I think these are beautiful and will be much appreciated. It's always so special to receive something that has been hand made with love and care. The jeans pocket project looked so good and will be a perfect addition to your Christmas decorations. The rescued cross stitch cushion looks as if it was made to be like that! Little One investigating the mugs is so sweet - give him a cuddle from me! (Hope the others are doing OK too, of course!)
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel you on --the fact that you aren't happy with end results on projects--I get these great ideas--made them up--then get mad cause I think they look terrible--mixing colors is a big one for me--too!!!! I love the stocking and really neat ideas on filling them up--and I love the Cross stitch you found--just beautiful and a really nice way to finish it off--and I would love some fresh cut flowers in a vase in my place--but we don't have any here in Florida--only grocery store ones and they are sprayed with something that gives me a headache--soooo!!!! And what a lovely friend and some lovely gifts-even kitty approved--hugs, di

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Di. Yes I have been going through this stage of being "dissatisfied" with my work for about a year now. Every now & then I am really pleased, like with the denim pocket. I hope this passes soon as I hope it does for you also. Yes the gifts from Sue were so special & even the kitty approved ๐Ÿ˜‰❤️

      Delete
  7. Wow, there is so much going on, where to start? Your cushion worked out well, as you say, lovely to look at. I love your Christmas pocket, what a great idea. And those stockings are cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As always amazing creativity..... so clever of you ladies to doll up old jeans pockets.... and great use of that Cross Stitch...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness! Julie, if only I had a tiny bit of your creativity and your talent! You turn everything you touch into something beautiful! The little wool stockings are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  10. All of your projects are just so beautiful Julie. You are so talented. I wish I had your repurposing talent as I come across some wonderful treasures but am never quite sure where to begin so I leave them behind. Sarah USA xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sarah - you are so kind. xx

      Delete
  11. The little stockings are cute and I love your transformation of the pocket. Two very different ideas from your friends.
    The stitchery was well worth preserving and has made a great cushion, it's lovely, xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Everything beautiful as always. We are our own harshest critics but in your case there's really no need. You really are the perfect needlewoman! Have a good weekend, Julie.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gosh, you hae been very busy. Love everything, but my favourite is the little x-stitch cushion. Never thought of using Napisan to get stains out of old fabric. X-stitch . . . autumn is pretty well here already with trees changing colour and dropping leaves from draught-stress. I must get out the couple of projects I had on the go LAST autumn!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I always dissolve the Napisan in quite hot water first, let it cool a bit & then add the stitchery to it to soak. I also use colour catchers as I have had issues in the past with thread colours running. Have a lovely weekend. xx

      Delete
  14. Hi Julie, I enjoyed seeing your photos and the projects you have been doing. I am so impressed with your creative talent. Thank you so much for sharing. ❤️ I hope you have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Linda - you are so kind. I hope you have a lovely weekend too. xx

      Delete
  15. I LOVE everything!! One can never run out of ideas when there are scraps to be had, and add to that your wide array of crafting skills and ingenuity - well Julie, once again my heart does a flip flop and I am in awe of your creativity.
    Okay, admitting here that I have Cath Kidston envy rather badly. A dear friend gifted me a CK coffee mug about 15 years ago, and about 5 years ago it broke...I was shattered more than the mug!! Now bits of it are in various pots in the garden, never to be forgotten.
    Looking forward to part 2...
    hugs
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW Julie you really are the queen of scrappy sewing - these are amazing projects - love those beautiful Christmas stockings!!
    That jeans pocket project is stunning - what a beautiful result - love it
    Your saving of the cross stitch is amazing - a beautiful piece, and you have done it justice with the way you have mounted it.
    I look forward to your next post
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  17. Julie, you are surely using up all the scrappy items in your stash. The Christmas stockings are just lovely and will be a wonderful donation, the cushion made with the cross stich panel is gorgeous. What you did with the pocket is amazing. You are a very artistic person.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a treat for the eyes Julie, as I told you before I loved what you did with the jeans pocket. The xmas stockings are wonderful and a beautiful donation. Well done with the Shepherd crosstitch, it's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  19. hello Julie, happy Sunday from the winterless north. You are so creative in all your makes and thoughtful, I'm sure the stockings will be appreciated. Your craft group has been clever with your jean pockets. I love the revamped and reloved cross stitch, you've made a sweet little cushion. Sue was very thoughtful, knowing you love Cath Kidson! Enjoy those spring flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am always amazed at your creativity, everything you do gives me serious craft envy. That cushion is beautiful and looks perfect on your bed ( I hope no one makes themselves at home on it - wink wink Pussy Cats). And are they all recovered from their various illnesses? Have a great week Julie, look forward to Part 2 - Pam xx

    ReplyDelete

Hello, & thank you for taking the time to comment on my posts - I read and appreciate each and every one of your comments :-)
I always prefer to reply to your comments by email unless you are a no-reply-blogger in which case I will reply to your comments in this section here. Thanks so much for stopping by to read & comment on my blog x0x