Greetings lovely friends & readers
Yesterday was a beautiful almost-spring-day here so my friend Shirley & I went on a little Outing to this gorgeous Patchwork Shop out by the airport. After that we drove to The Daffodil Farm & each purchased some bunches of daffs. This certainly made us feel very spring-like ππ
When we went to Retreat last June, one of the ladies there - Mary Anne, taught Leeanne & I a new scrappy patchwork technique. I was fascinated & keen to give it a try using up some of my treasured vintage Tilda scraps.
This is the technique above that Mary Anne uses.
I had purchased a length of steam-a-seam from my local store as I only had vliesofix. I cut a length of soft-&-stable & lay my steam-a-seam on top, peeling off both layers.
I tipped out my bag of scraps & chose the pieces I wanted to use, deciding on shapes, ironing them & cutting the edges with my pinking shears. You don't have to do this but I chose to. It took awhile before I was happy with my layout. Then I carefully ironed the entire piece. Then you lay your tulle over the top.
MaryAnne, through trial & error, has found the pale blue tulle is the one that blends in the best. She has tried all colours including white, cream & pale grey but says pale blue is the softest. Thankfully my local store had pale blue tulle in stock.
Using a friction pen I drew quilting lines down my piece ready for sewing.
(apologies for the poor photos - it was a dull rainy day)
Sewn down & ready to trim the edges. I just chose to do a simple vertical quilting line .. I would've quite liked to do free motion swirly quilting but wasn't confident enough.
Edges trimmed.
By this stage I'd decided it was a good size to make a simple wrap pouch. Although I've seen them with raw or pinked edges I chose to bind mine & happened to have a nice soft pink binding in my stash already.
I forgot to mention I used a vintage cotton sheet for my lining as I didn't have any contrasting fabric that was large enough. My lining looks quite puckered here but nothing that a good steam iron didn't fix.
Can you spy the little label I attached ?? πΎ
Can you spy the little label I attached ?? πΎ
![]() |
| Front View Back View |
Once I was happy with it I added a leather Handmade label & handstitched a lace heart/bow to the corner. I am hoping this doesn't make it look too much like a Pyjama Bag (!!)
My pouch measures 27 cms x 22 cms when closed, so a good medium size.
My first attempt at this scrappy sewing technique & now I am keen to do more π
I absolutely adore the Vintage Tilda ranges & the newly released ranges don't make my heart sing in any similar way.
I should mention, this scrappy technique using the Tulle is the same technique that Janice used to embellish her denim jacket with an eyecatching scrappy panel back in this post.
After I mentioned to Maureen about the cushion I had made from her cross-stitch in my last post, she tossed me a bag of aida cloth scraps - in the bottom were a couple of partially finished cross-stitches. She informs me these are not her work but have been gathered over the years. I decided to cut this large one down & make a lavender pouch, which turned out really lovely.
I wasn't sure about this "A" but then remembered my step daughter-in-law's name Ainsley, so I sewed it into another lavender pouch backed with some Tilda. My sewing room smelled so nice when I walked past the door with all the lavender in there. I will tuck this in with her Christmas parcel.
When Shirley & I arrived home from our Outing yesterday a large box was waiting for me. Pam had offered me some patterns as she was having a destash in her sewing room. She'd tucked in so many other crafty treasures - it was like Christmas opening the box. When I messaged Pam to thank her I told her the gift was a double whammy as look who else got pleasure from it . . . . . . . . . .
A nice clean new box - how wonderful (!!) π»
And No, she didn't wait for me to tuck a blanky in there first.
Thank you so very much Pam - from both Pippi & myself π
![]() |
| Last months photo Yesterdays photo |
Finally, the pansies that I transplanted in this post last month were large enough to pot on into containers. It has felt like a long growing season for them & I've now moved them from my hospital corner out to the hothouse. Hopefully they flower before too long as pansies succumb to mildew here in our climate, once the warmer weather comes.
Thank you as always dear friends, for your ever-welcome visits here today,
Wishing you a wonderful rest of the week,
Sending much love & friendship to you all,







-fotor-202608261433.jpg)
-fotor-2026082614344.jpg)

-fotor-2026082614410.jpg)
-fotor-2026082614358.jpg)




Love that wee pouch. Cats and boxes. :-)
ReplyDeleteLovely use of your pretty scraps which have made a great pouch. And what a lovely way to use the unfinished cross stitch pieces, so nice that someones work is being used. x
ReplyDeleteYour sewing is so neat and tidy. Love the pouch. I see pictures of scrappy sewing, but they don't turn into something useful. Your attention to detail has followed it through to the end.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much Ilona. Sometimes its not always neat & tidy believe me π Yes I was pleased to turn it in to a useful pouch & am now keen to make some more as I have plenty of scraps of fabric.
DeleteNice sunny morning over here, and not quite so hot...! :).
ReplyDeleteI must say....when l first read the short list of instructions
up top there...l lost the plot..! (:
But! But! Good old 'Google' l am ofay with the instructions,
and following it down to the final pouch..!
And the smell of lavender of course, takes a lot of beating..!
I watched a program on Bulgaria last week, and guess what..?
Bulgaria produces the most true lavender essential oil in the
world, taking the top volume spot from France....Amazing.....
Fields and fields of it...Check it out....Worth a Google..! :).
And, the Pansies, hope we can see a photo of them in full
bloom Julie...No secret...'I~LOVE~PANSIES'....! :O).
I'll creep away slowly and quietly...Don't what to wake Miss Pippi..! :)x
ππ⬛ππ⬛ππ⬛ππ⬛ππ⬛ππ⬛ππ⬛ππ⬛ππ⬛ππ⬛ππ⬛π
Julle those daffodils look amazing - mine are doing very well this year - the best they have been!
ReplyDeleteWhen you said you had been to a patchwork shop out near the airport, I immediately thought of the one at Tamahere... I have also visited 'Tis the Season, and was tempted with a cross stitch....
Love your quilted pouch - that is exquisite. What a fascinating technique, and yes I did notice the wee tag :)
A lovely way to use up the cross stitched items - I too love lavender, and have grown it for years, but it looks as though I may have lost some of my plants this year - probably because they have been in pots for too long, with the various moves I have made over the past five or six years - I have fed them, but... unfortunately there's really nowhere to plant them here
May your pansies thrive - our summers are not quite as humid, so they don't get the mildew as yours do
Blessings
Maxine
Lovely daffodils, we have 2 in the garden! Love the scrappy sewing for the pouch, might have a go at that! Not sure I have steam a seam but sure I can find some. Great how you have used the cross stitch pieces Julie, what a treasure of a box to arrive at yours, I bet your fingers are itching! Nice to include Miss Pippi too - perfect a new box! Hope the pansies are ok.
ReplyDeleteYou are far more skilled at making things than I am. I stick to the pretty simple and not too challenging to the brain! I love the bag you made from your cherished vintage scraps. I began making a patchwork bag from a pattern I got from a Quilt Festival (Malvern I think) but it got abandoned and I must try and get back and finish it.
ReplyDeleteWhat a delightful box of goodies . . . just like Christmas!!
Thank you so much. I was not confident going in to this but now, once I've done it, it's honestly simple. I am keen to make more pouches for gifting now - I sure do have plenty of scraps to use up.
DeleteThat's a really interesting technique and your finished pouch is lovely (as was the denim jacket embellishment). The cross stitch projects have worked so well too - it is a lovely way to honour someone's work. I like the Appley Dapply character from Beatrix Potter too on the A. There are some fabulous goodies in your parcel - I am sure you will make good use of them. Miss Pippi is enjoying the box!
ReplyDeleteHave a lovely rest of the week
Best wishes
Ellie
What an extremely interesting way of making a quilted item. I've never heard of steam a seam so I will have to look this up on the Internet just to see what it cost or where I would find it if I tried it. I'm so glad to see your pansies have actually started to Leaf out and that you can move them out of the house into the hot house. And I see Miss pip is in the hot house of a new box. How wonderful that the daffodil Farm is in full bloom and you were able to bring home so many. I do hope you're flying trip is safe and that you have a great time once you get there. Looking forward to hearing about it when it happened. We've had some cold mornings about 17c with warmer afternoons and that's been a nice break. Back to regular end of August beginning of September hot weather next week. Lynn and Precious XX ❤️ π΄♀️π⬛ππΈπΈπͺ»πͺ»π·
ReplyDeleteSuch pretty, pretty work, Julie. It's inspiring, but my trouble is that I'm a great starter and a terrible finisher! Pippi looks most content, bless her. Cats do appreciate fresh boxes.
ReplyDeleteJulie, Julie...have you ever tried anything that didn't turn out simply beautiful?? You have such pretty fabric scraps to use. Pipi must enjoy the packages you get as much as you do. So sweet!
ReplyDeleteSuch talented and beautiful work. You never fail to amaze me with your work!!!!!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much dear Chrissie. xx
DeleteEverything is Soo beautiful Julie! Xx
ReplyDeleteThanks so much dear Sandy. It was a fun project & I'm pleased with how it turned out. xx
DeleteHi Julie! Your 'Mary Anne' pouch is gorgeous! All your favourite fabrics all nestled together. I'm very keen to try this technic too, it looks fun, makes me think of childhood paper mache but with fabric & thread. Sounds like you had a lovely day out & came home with some spring flowers....although it's NOT spring, it's still WINTER! :) was it 'our' Pam that sent the box of goodies? I hope your pansies grow good and look fabulous.
ReplyDeleteThe pouch worked out beautifully and a great new technique. fun when friends 'enable' you!
ReplyDeleteHugz