Greetings lovely friends & readers
Warning - Photo Heavy Post !
Recently I was lucky enough to travel to Melbourne, Australia with 3 friends from my little craft group.
We were able to get accommodation at The Victoria Hotel which is in Little Collins Street, right in the CBD.
(Mum & I did 4 trips to Melbourne together after Dad passed away, Mum's brother lived in outer Melbourne. I found this trip entirely different, far more enjoyable & relaxing & I guess you perceive things differently depending on whom you are with & what you are there to experience. Mums brother was always "a difficult man" & this always reflected on our stay)
Here I am attempting a selfie - Liz, Sharlaine, Gail & myself on the right.
I have decided to split this into two posts as I have downloaded over 250 photos & I won't bore you with them all. Our first day was spent at the Craft & Quilt Show & I will share those photos in my next post, which I've already begun writing. These photos are in no particular order & I apologise in advance for this long post.
After a couple of days we mastered the art of the trams, free throughout the CBD ... we knew to look out for No 96!
We truly walked miles throughout this amazing city. There were so many laneways & little side streets to wander down, never knowing what treasure you may come across. It was all such a vision for the senses.
We crossed the Yarra River Bridges many times ... look at those clear blue skies ... we were so incredibly lucky with the weather during our stay.
We went looking for the Botanical Gardens, got lost, & instead wandered the Alexandra Gardens.
Some art in a cafe/bar we had lunch in, on the side of the Yarra River.
This was a cafe by Flinders Station - I took this pic for my friend Carolyn who does mosaic work. The entire wall was made of tiny mosaiced pieces.
It is not something I would normally choose to visit but I am so glad I did. It was amazing.
I took so many photos but I will just share the one above as it was my favorite of all the pieces. I love anything Rosary & this necklace & bracelet were stunning. It was very dark inside & tricky to photograph.
We found three men-in-the-street that Gail tried to get to come home with us 😜 ... she is a hoot !!
By the look on his face he was not so keen !!
The street art was amazing & I am sure we only saw a fraction of it. We loved wandering the iconic laneways taking in all the street art.
Back at the Gardens, the words "Melbourne" were planted in white Alyssum & due for a trim the Gardener told us.
Lots of coffee stops along the way.
We discovered the most amazing Cake Shop Brunetti's. Cakes, slices, pastries - it was like heaven in a glass cabinet.
Unfortunately we only discovered it on our last day & we all agreed that this was possibly a good thing as otherwise we may have needed bigger seats on the plane home (!!)
Downstairs to Dymocks Bookstore where they were having free wine & cake to celebrate their birthday. I bought a beautiful 2027 Cath Kidston Diary. Looking upwards . . . .
Some gorgeous boutique-style shops in here.
The well-know Desgraves Street where the centre is filled with tables, chairs & heaters, & each side is lined with different cafes & restaurants.
We ate dinner two nights in a row here, pasta one night & then a shared pizza with wines. It was wonderful to sit next to the heater - we all really loved the atmosphere of this Street.
Well of course we went Up the Escalator to the Yarn Store & purchases were definitely made.
On our last day I tried to convince our random-man-friend to come home with me but was not successful.
All too soon it was time to head to the airport for our flight home. It was a wonderful time away but, as always, wonderful to be Home again too.
I shall be back soon with Part two - the Quilt Show.
Thank you for staying here through this long post dear friends. Blogger has only just updated my reading list after more than a week so I am slowly visiting you all again now.
Sending much love & friendship to you all,
Oh my goodness, such wonderful photos of your trip. I am afraid I would have probably tried to get more yarn than I need in the yarn shop. Looking forward to seeing the quilts.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.