Sunday, October 31, 2021

These Lockdown Days ......................................

Greetings lovely friends & readers

The days & weeks continue to go by so very fast - we are still in Lockdown Level 3 here so many of my days are still taken up with looking after Sid. 

I can hardly believe we turn the calendars over to November tomorrow !!

I just Love this photo my son sent me of Sid with Darcy - just a boy & his dog, two scruffs together  - happiness indeed 💙


(Sid uses my kindling wood to make fences & enclosures)

On Friday we went down to the Pond to feed the fish & while we were gone, another big black T-Rex got inside the dinosaur enclosure!  Oh dear - we must've left the gate open 😲 !!

 

While hunting in a drawer for a piece of flannelette I came across these vintage flour sacks.  I thought they would be ideal to make some outdoor cushions with as I needed some for my rustic garden seat down by the Pond. I made an inner & stuffed them quite loosely as I wanted them to feel squishy. 

They are perfect for the seat & it doesn't matter if they get left out in the odd rain shower.  The cherry blossom tree (Shimidsu Sakura) is in full bloom at the moment.

While ratting around under my house looking for a planter pot I came across this vintage childs table & chair set.  I pulled them out & gave them a scrub - they were Very rusty.  I thought I would like to paint them up & maybe gift to my step grandaughter Juno for Christmas.

The Mr made me sand them first & then spray them all over with an anti rust Primer.  I usually want to take the quickest, simplest method but he makes me do things properly as he is boring fussy particular like that 😉

It is very much a matter of using up what's on hand in these current Lockdown times. The chair is painted in Dulux Lake Camp (testpot) & the table is left over paint from my fire surround - Dulux Ngataringa Bay. 
I was most excited as I had these gorgeous rabbit transfers that I planned to use on them - purchased from * Here *




I was able to do a click-&-collect with my local Mitre 10 store & purchase some new rubber feet for each item which just finished them off perfectly. (I should add here that it took 3 goes to get the right size!!!)
Rather than waxing  I decided to spray both items with a matt finish polyacrylic which I had on hand - I think this will give a better protection should Juno happen to draw on the table.


I'm really delighted with how these turned out & hope Juno gets lots of happy hours using them. 😊


The Magazine is the Spring 2018 Issue - No 26

This vintage Tilda charm pack was tucked into my birthday gift this year from my dearest friend Leeanne.  My heart skipped several beats 💗!!  I had earmarked this pattern in the above issue of Simply Vintage Magazine to make the Spring Cushion.

The pattern is by Tweetledee Design Co  ... I decided to make mine up into a table runner as I did not have anywhere for another cushion.


I just adore the faded florals of these earlier Tilda ranges & am not so partial to some of their newer brighter ranges.  This charm pack was called "All that is Spring" 
The Needleturn applique always takes me out of my comfort zone but finally I was happy with my centre panel.



I just did some simple straight line machine quilting across the pieced blocks.

It fits perfectly tucked into my Spring display ... I picked a small vase of Seafoam roses yesterday before the rain bashed them all.  It's hard to believe only one more month of Spring time left.



I saw this on Instagram last week & it made me smile ... all that Lockdown Baking & Eating has resulted in "Covid Curves" so I could definately relate 😉  I hope it makes you smile too dear friends.

Wishing you all a wonderful week ahead - be kind to yourselves & to each other,
Thank You So much for stopping by here today,
With much love & friendship to you All,
Julie & the furry ones x0x0x

25 comments:

  1. Had to giggle at the 2nd photo, thinking "ahh the T-Rex is still there" :):). lol. The table & chair are gorgeous & i did think as i had started reading oh i hope Julie managed to get the right size only to read further about your several tries. The table runner is very pretty. Lovely photo of Sid & Darcy. Hugs, xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun to see Sid with his dog and the wonderful enclosure he has made.... so great for his imagination. The new set for Juno is gorgeous...... so so pretty and well worth the fix up. Love your new table runner too. If I can blame Covid for my curves I'll go with it! haha.... Keep well...xx
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful thrift finds in last post. I enjoy a good hunt like that too. I can’t believe how beautiful the table set turned out. You have a gift that’s for sure.great photo of a boy and his dog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie, I cannot believe there is only one month of spring left, either. We had better make the most of November. =) Juno's table and chair are fantastic. Those bunnies are adorable. Gorgeous table runner too. I rather love the brighter Tilda range of fabrics. =) I have just purchased some. Your cherry blossom tree is beautiful. And....as for Sid and Darcy...so, so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Julie, that is a very good picture of Sid and his dog. I was watching a tv program recently (Escape to the Chateau, about Dick and Angel Strawbridge who bought a fabulous place in France and have done several tv series of doing it up and also during lockdown some diy programs by them) and they used photographs to print fabric. that little table and chairs has to be the best thing you ever made! it's delightful (I would love to have it!) The bunnies make it so perfect and I think 'doing it properly' was worth it as it will last for years and years, the rubber feet just finish it off to a high standard too. I also like the little birds you quilted, you have been busy and you never seem to run out of ideas (or supplies!) have a lovely Halloween - Betty x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another great post Julie .
    Your work is amazing , love every thing you do .
    What a great saying at the end of your post had me laughing thank you .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Goodness! And extra hour in bed..not that
    l used it, the clocks went on an hour last
    night..2am..and l've just been round a changed
    all the calendars..all 14 of them..l also
    have 12 clocks..Why? HeHe! Don't ask! :).

    Love what you've done to the table and chair
    Julie..couple months ago l bought two similar
    chairs, though they do fold up..in a charity
    shop..cost me £3:99 each..$7:64...!
    And there ex Habitat..so quite expensive new..!
    Oh! Goes without saying..There pink of course..! :).

    And, l see the T~Rex is still creeping about,
    though looking quite quiet! Bless!x :).
    And the the cherry blossom tree looks lovely
    to..with the bench and table..Heaven..! :)

    Best get on..lots to do..little shopping at ten,
    few bits and pieces needed..
    Oh! look! The suns coming out, after a night of
    stormy weather...! :).
    And a happy Halloween to one and all....! :O).
    🎃 👻 ☠️ 🎃 😱 🌛 🎃 👻 ☠️ 🎃

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sid is such a cutie and that photo is so lovely! Very creative dinosaur enclosure!Totally in love with your table and chair....gorgeous! Your spring runner is so sweet and your applique is beautiful as are those pretty delicate roses. I can just imagine sitting under that beautiful tree on your bench by the pond.....yep my scarves all still fit too.....winning! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've done a really good job with the chair and table. I am not as patient with the preparation of such projects, so I don't attempt them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iona. I must admit I do tend to try to find the quickest way but I think with the rust I needed to give it the proper preparation so it wouldn't come through my paint as it can tend to do. Thanks for your lovely comment 😊

      Delete
  10. Ah Julie, thank you for your creative post. Always lovely to read about your 'doings'. I hadn't heard of an anti rust primer spray, so I will be on the look out now, for a similar project of my own. Jean

    ReplyDelete
  11. That made me smile too. What a joy to open my email and find your blog. Sadly Covid has reached the South Island. I will make the effort this week to get the jab. So difficult as in bed but will do my best and then get a taxi. I always took my feet for granted. Still warm weather is here and so is your wonderful blog. How lucky you are to have Sid. He’s a beautiful boy and what an adorable dog. I had a Sydney Silky years ago. So easy to train. At 10 weeks he put up his leg for the first time on the grass at the edge of the garden and fell over. 100% for trying. Thank you dear Julie 🥰🌈🦋

    ReplyDelete
  12. Goodness, I'm jealous of Juno receiving the rabbit table some day! Double the painting to use the rust proof first, but in the end, it ought to help preserve it for as long as Juno fits the chair. I'm strictly a blue color lover, so it was a great combo with the rabbits. I have lots of real rabbits in the area, by the way. Your sewing and painting has to help a bit with the extra long strict lock down. And of course, Sid makes the time pass fast, with dinosaurs and black cats. We change our time next weekend. Late this year due to the calendar. We now wait til after Halloween so children can trick or treat with more day light. Leaves are falling fast so your cherry tree is a real pick me up. Lynn and Precious xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lynn & Precious. Yes it was double the painting but I do think it helps stop that jolly rust from coming through my paint. We have the real rabbits here too ... Blackie tries to catch them but they are just too fast - they are actually a real pest here. xx

      Delete
  13. Lots of lovlies as always Julie. The little table and chair are gorgeous and Juno will love them I am sure. Your table rummer is so pretty - I too prefer the older Tilda fabrics. Great cushions and what a beautiful spot, the blossom is gorgeous. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely result for the table and chair set you rescued and revamped for Juno’s Christmas gift. It’s beautiful and I’m sure she will love it for years to come. You will definitely be Number 1 Granny! Love the photo of little boy and his dog. Brilliant, one for the memory box.

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a cute photo of Sid, love the table and chair set for Juno as well, hope your out of lock down soon Julie, Chris xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really great post, Julie. Happy November to you and hopefully your lockdowns will all finish soon. It just seems to be going on and on and on. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely photo of Sid and his dog, I also had a giggle to see the T Rex in with the dinosaurs! You have transformed the table and chair for Juno! Great outdoor cushions and the table runner is so pretty Julie. Lovely post, and scarves certainly do apply!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. A boy and his dog--a sweet photo.
    I got such a kick out of the big dinosaur in Sid's enclosure. :) I miss the days of my boys making those big play areas. Funny, but my grandsons never seemed to do that sort of thing.
    The feedsack pillows were brilliant. The perfect touch on that rustic bench.
    Love what you did with the table and chair. What a makeover--and thanks to hubby, you know it was done correctly. (tee hee)
    The soft Tilda fabrics made a beautiful runner. And your applique looks great. I REALLY don't do needle turned applique, so in my mind, you were very brave and the results are impressive.
    Got a laugh out of the sign at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Is there anything you can’t give a makeover? I am in awe of how you make something that to me looks ready to go in the trash is converted into something so beautiful and decorative. The table and chairs for example,an incredible transformation! I am smiling ! Black T.Rex puss indeed ha!ha! Sweet photo of the two scruffs. Stay safe. Amanda x





    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello Julie,

    I'm having a blog catchup tonight and yours is always a true delight to visit.

    The little table and chairs look adorable. Many hours of fun to be had with those.

    Love how Sid uses your kindling for fences, that there is a genius at work! I see he has a cute helper.

    Hope your lockdowns ease for you soon. We have no cases here in South Australia, but it is getting closer to the borders opening then we will see what happens. Hopefully not a lockdown Christmas.

    Take care,
    xTania




    ReplyDelete
  21. Such gorgeous creations, that table & chair is the stuff fairy tales are made of! I love the car game set up, much like I did as a kid......I can't remember if my cat got involved though.....brave Blackie! I have several of those scarves too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ha! The Covid pudge is definitely a thing here! The T Rex is awfully cute! I think I need some of those decal things! I'm going to go look on Etsy now. Sending love to you, dear Julie!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, & thank you for taking the time to comment on my posts - I read and appreciate each and every one of your comments :-)
I always prefer to reply to your comments by email unless you are a no-reply-blogger in which case I will reply to your comments in this section here. Thanks so much for stopping by to read & comment on my blog x0x