Saturday, September 10, 2022

Hydrangea Love 💙💙

Greetings lovely friends & readers

My friend Gail gifted me this beautiful Hydrangea transfer for my birthday in June ... I absolutely LoVed it & wanted to use it on something special.   I especially love Hydrangeas & just adored the pastel colours in this.


                     Seeing the black decorated lampshade on the packet gave me an idea . . . . . .

I have this large plain table lamp in a corner of my Lounge.  The Lady that owns the Farm gifted it to me many years ago & I use it as I really love lamplight, but always wanted to give it a bit of a lift or an injection of colour.
 

I carefully dismantled the lamp & then painted the base with 2 coats of chalk paint in the colour Old Linen. I dried it by the fire ... Miss Pippi takes her "watching-paint-dry duties" very seriously but after all - a girl does get tired !! 😉
I also painted the lamp shade in chalk paint "Antique White" as it was showing some age spots & discoloration - it came up great!

  Next it was time to affix the transfers to the shade. This was tricky (to put it mildly) as I had to pack thick bath towels inside the frame of the shade, to stop it cracking while I applied the transfers. I carefully worked my way around managing to cover nearly all the circumference of the shade. I was really happy with how the lamp turned out & found some old faded hydrangea heads that I spray painted with some colours I had on hand - just a quick whiff across the flower head to bring them to life.

The frame had a price sticker on it from when I thrifted it ... $8.00

I still had some transfers left over so I found this oval frame in my sleep-out.  It was actually pressed flowers inside glass - very old & faded so I decided to just paint right over the glass as it was secure inside the frame.  Once again - two coats of Old Linen chalk paint & a light sanding/distressing of the frame.

While I was working out the placement for my hydrangeas I felt I needed some wording in the background.  Like my fabric scraps, I keep every single offcut of my transfers & I was able to find some vintage French wording in my offcuts envelope.  I love how this turned out 💙

I hung it over the Gothic Mirror that I have in my lounge & just love my new Hydrangea corner so much. 💙

Incidentally the cabinet that I dragged in had a brightly coloured transfer on the door which looked so gaudy.  I was able to wet this & scrape it off, & then give it a quick coat of the same chalk paint (Old Linen).  I love it much more with the door left blank.


A string of fairy lights & it all looks complete. 💙 Each evening when I turn the lamp on it just makes me feel so happy with my little refreshed corner.


After a couple of really nice spring days it has turned wet & icy cold here today - typical Waikato Spring weather.  I baked this morning ... a Weetbix Slice for The Mr, & a Raspberry & White Chocolate Shortcake as I have eldest son & family coming tomorrow.  


I have some freshly dehydrated orange slices by the fire as I have more potpourri orders to fill.


A certain ginger Miss has curled up on my sewing chair dreaming happily with her little tongue poking out. 

Yesterday * this special book * arrived in the post ... a treat (to me from me) using the last of my birthday money.  I have many jobs awaiting but for now I am going to sit down with a cuppa & maybe probably a slice of that Raspberry Shortcake & drool my way through my new book.  Wishing you a wonderful weekend dearest friends.

Thank you as always for your welcome visits here today,

With much love & friendship to you all,

Julie & the furry ones x0x0x0

15 comments:

  1. Another stunning make over Julie. You have bought that piece out of the darkness and into the light! The book looks super interesting. Miss Ginger Cat is most helpful......yes please to the baking xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always think it quite amazing what you do
    with those transfers Julie...I have had a look
    on line for them, though best if l see what l'd
    like to decorate first, before getting any...!
    The lampshade looks really lovely..! Especially,
    lit up...! :).

    Wheetbix slice..Shortcake...? What no Scoggin
    Slice...HeHe! The ultimate New Zealand cake...!
    Since you put the recipe on one of your posts
    Julie..it is my most favourite cake of all time....
    I~LOVE~IT....! :).

    Miss Pippi looks lovely..one for my 'pussy~cat'
    folder folder me thinks...Not exactly a tongue
    in cheek picture...Bless her..!x
    And one for Blackie of course...!x :0.

    Best get on...sun's out to~day, first day after a
    few days of heavy rain, certainly needed it....!
    Another lemon tea with honey and lemon is
    called for...
    All quiet after the Queen's passing..she's been
    an amazing person, and will be missed, but not
    forgotten...Bless her...!
    🌱💛🌱💛🌱💛🌱💛🌱 🌱💛🌱💛🌱💛

    ReplyDelete
  3. More lovely makeovers Julie and I love them both. Such a pretty corner and adding the flower heads adds to the beauty. Your baking looks delicious! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blue is absolutely my favorite color in the whole rainbow of the world! So these blue hydrangea transfers are a delight. As is Miss Pip doing her due diligence with aid to you. I see blue and pink hydrageas around the area and am jealous when they bloom. However, they are DEER food! Pesky creatures. And your orange slices, well I can almost smell them drying in your photo. Soon our rotten (though necessary and wanted) furnace will be on as your fires burn down. Not this week. However we had 4 inches of rain last week and expect this much this weekend. So sad about the Queen. This world will be worse off without her good graces. Lynn and Precious xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lynn & Precious. I love the blue tones of hydrangeas too. I did not know that the deer like them .. luckily the closest deer to me here are behind big fences!! I am pleased you finally got some rain as the garden will love it. We usually have our fire lit here until the end of October as it stays cold that long. I felt so sad about the Queen too ... I meant to mention it at the end of my post & completely forgot. xx

      Delete
  5. What a sweet hydrangea corner--and the fairy lights give it that bit of magic.
    Raspberry and white chocolate shortbread sounds dangerous!! Yum!
    Looks like Miss Pippi needed a nap after that arduous job of watching paint dry. LOL
    That book should get your creative juices flowing. (But is it possible for them to flow even more than they already do??)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Julie, what a wonderful job you did with that lamp! I too love hydrangeas and have many bushes here all of them white. I wish there were those blue ones here too. Your baking looks delicious and thanks very much for the recipes. Kitty looks so comfy too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julie the lamp and plaque are just lovely. Hydrangea's are my favourite flower as well ever since we made a trip to the UK and I say them in so many gardens there. I did plant one, almost lost it, but this year it is coming back. Our soil and temperatures are not suitable for anything other than white, but I love my plant anyway.

    Your baking is making me hungry.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another gorgeous creative corner and so pretty with the hydrangeas... Enjoy your new book.... I am looking forward to seeing what you make from it...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  9. Julie, what an amazing job you did on the lamp. The little Hydrangea corner looks so inviting, and so beautiful. Hydrangeas are so pretty. I used to have an oskleaf hydrangea. It was so pretty but then up and died. Hope you're enjoying the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That corner looks really great Julie, gosh you are such an inspiration with all your upcycling and repurposing. Can't wait to see what you make out of your new book, the perfect treat for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Julie,
    Since I'm waiting on the laptop & the tablet only let's me comment on certain blogs which yours isn't one I'm just emailing you my comment instead. 😊.

    Love the makeover on the lamp & frame. Your corner is delightful. The slices look yummy.

    Jeanette, celticcraftgirl

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your lamp Julie, I'm still working on mine, base is finished but still some work to do on the shade with new trim when I get it, not just crazy Waikato Spring weather, we had 3 degrees this morning, but at least we have a nice day coming. Cool book.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have done a wonderful job with the lamp and frame Julie, I love it, perfect. Your baking looked very delectable, I must try making the raspberry and white chocolate shortcake, it sounds and looks wonderful. Oohh squee to the Luna Lapin book, I so have nearly caved and bought it. Still thinking maybe I will- - - - - - - sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your hydrangea projects came out really well, I really like these flowers and have dried some myself to make wreaths. I bet those oranges smell wonderful drying by the fire. Luna Lapin looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, & thank you for taking the time to comment on my posts - I read and appreciate each and every one of your comments :-)
I always prefer to reply to your comments by email unless you are a no-reply-blogger in which case I will reply to your comments in this section here. Thanks so much for stopping by to read & comment on my blog x0x