Thursday, September 1, 2022

Painting, Planting & The Daffodil Farm

Greetings lovely friends & readers

Welcome to the first day of  Spring - my absolute favorite Season ๐Ÿ’—


 We have had a week of blue skies, sunshine & chilly-but-glorious days where you can just about see the garden waking up from it's winter sleep.


Down the end of my lounge by the French Doors, I have what I call My Hospital Corner.  It's where I put plants that need reviving or some extra care. It's warm, filtered light with no draughts & plants seem to really come back to life here.  I often wish I could just lie down there awhile & rejuvenate myself !! It's also where I start my cuttings off & so I decided it was time to pot up some of the plants that I had grown from cuttings over winter.


A rustle around under my house & I came across some old pots that had been tossed under there.  I painted them with left over chalk paint & applied oddments of transfers to cheery them up a bit. 

After I've applied the transfers I like to spray them with two coats of clear matt varnish just to seal & protect them & I find this works really well & also makes them scrubable if need be.

This plant was grown from a leaf off my friend Joyce's plant

I forgot to take a "before" of this one but it was a dark almost black colour.  I loved the fluted edge of it.
This pink paint I have used is actually a Resene Testpot in the Colour Pale Rose - it's the perfect shade of pink ๐Ÿ’—

This was a tin bucket with rope handles that I found in my sleep out. It was the perfect size for my poor pot-bound ladder fern.

(I can cut 3 plants labels from one length of Dowel)

Pretty plant labels are expensive to buy but I enjoy making my own from these round wooden discs that you can buy from the Variety Stores ($2.99 for a packet of 4).  I buy a length of dowel from Mitre 10, hot glue it to the back & then paint the entire piece before adding the transfers.  These are great if you need to stake a plant too.

I decided to use this old tin trunk as a plant display area as the large picture window provides good light for my plants.  These ones are all newly repotted in larger (upcycled) containers.

Just beside the tin trunk is a selection of thrifted plant stands that I have painted over the years. I seem to have a bit of A Pink Theme going on down here.

While I was outside re-potting I gave my deck table a good scrub & potted up these sweet little viola's.  The purple in them almost reminds me of velvet.  The potted white hyacinth was pulled out from under a garden shrub - its fragrance is divine.


The other week I had to deliver some fresh bags of my citrus pot-pourri to The Farm Shop at Gordonton.  I had not supplied them for over a year due to Lockdowns etc & I wanted to deliver it & remove any old stock I had there.  My car smelt beautiful on the drive over!

I had arranged to meet up with my lovely friend Sue out there & have lunch together.  Sue took me to the cafe out at Woodlands Estate on the other side of Gordonton.  I had not been here before & it was just stunning.  

We had a lovely lunch & a wander around the gardens but could not go in the main house due to a private function being held there.


Sue & I both wanted to go to Clandon Daffodil Farm.  It has been a couple of years since I was last here & it is one of my favourite places to visit.  Just seeing those rows & rows of happy yellow faces as you drive up is so uplifting.  Even though it was a wet rainy day it was still such a pleasant & enjoyable outing.  

The shop is self service & they have a huge selection of daffodils for you to choose from & very reasonably priced.  Sue & I both bought a big bunch of Seconds.  They also sell a selection of bulbs here & have a display garden where you can see the different varieties of daffs available to grow now ... even a pink shade.


When I got home I divided all my daffs up into different vases as I wanted to share them with my daughter in laws.  Sue has begun learning pottery & is doing such amazing work - I was delighted when she presented me with one of her bowls in a lovely dusky blue glaze.  
I put a large vase of Early Cheer Daffs in my lounge so I could enjoy them each night & Oh the fragrance was amazing.  They always make me feel happy because I know when they appear each year ... spring is not too far away.

Interestingly I took a photo of this notice at the Daffodil Farm & decided to do exactly as they suggested.  I often find daffs don't last long in my home as it gets hot here due to our fire.  But I did what they suggested (putting them outside on the deck each night), changing the water every 2nd day ...& they did Not begin to wilt until day 6 or 7, so I was really pleased.

Thank you so very much dear friends, for staying through this lengthy post,
I am off to fill the wood basket as it feels like another frost tonight,
Wishing you a wonderful weekend - be kind to yourselves & to each other,
With much love & friendship to you all,
Julie & the furry ones x0x0x

21 comments:

  1. I love your potting make overs.. it all looks so pretty. I too love Spring - I had a lovely walk around the garden and so many things are shooting ...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pot makeovers. They are just lovely. When you mentioned about your trunk a light bulb went off. Mum had Nana's old trunk from when Nana came to Australia from Scotland back in 1922. It's not in the best condition with broken locks. I was going to dump it but now i think i might try & give it a make over to give it a bit more life. I can see it painted up with a few transfers on it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pots of plants look beautiful , HAPPY SPRING and thank you for all the info on the Daffodils .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely to see the transformation of your pots and the spring flowers making an appearance. And interesting to note the difference in climate between your area and ours! I'm definitely enjoying our spring at the moment too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love white daffodils and narcissus. I keep mine in a vase in the conservatory as it is not heated, they last for weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's the first day of Autumn over here...
    Something to do with the weathers first day of
    Autumn...?
    Even so..it's still very dry, and here in the South/
    West were l live it's been announced as a 'drought'
    area..though rain forecast for Sat/Sun...watering
    the baskets etc...twice a day..!

    My plant hospital is my bathroom, everything
    survives and grows better in there, water and
    steam..best things for a plant to recover from
    plant illnesses...
    I've just got back from town, bought a Mother~
    In~Laws tongue plant and a succulent, both
    for £3...Cheap! Cheap! :).

    Love the indoor plants Julie...But, not the Daffs..
    There my least liked flower, you can't mix them
    with other plants, as there poisonous...All parts
    of the daffodil contain a toxic chemical, lycorine!
    And..even toxic to humans...
    There o.k. in fields, hedgerows, garden etc...
    But! I would never entertain them indoors..! :(.
    ☕ ๐Ÿฐ ☕ ๐Ÿฐ ☕ ๐Ÿฐ ☕ ๐Ÿฐ ☕ ๐Ÿฐ ☕ ๐Ÿฐ

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely autumnal here this morning, with condensation on the inside of my bedroom window which I had to close during the night because it was actually cold! Now I'm wondering how we're all going to get through the winter. People in Shetland might have to pay up to £10,000 this winter to keep their houses warm, which need heating in summer too. It's absolutely scandalous. I'm recovering from another round of Covid this week and it's been pretty nasty. I love your plant hospital, Julie. Your loving attention is paying great results.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your friend Sue must have the touch of a pro for clay pottery as the bowl looks very well done. What a great gift
    to receive, to go along with such a fun day daffodil buying. I did not know to keep the daffs cool over night. I have
    known that holds for roses (which I have not received in years, lol), but not daffs. I'll keep that in mind in April when
    I have some to pick here. Your indoor plants look very content but they will certainly be glad for natural warmth
    of the sun outdoors soon. We have two very cool mornings in a row here, but it is going back to summer heat
    for a week. I'm not ready to let go of it, even if it is sweaty! Lynn and Precious xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lynn & Precious. I did not know to keep the daffs cool either ... it is good to learn these things & it definately made them last longer in the vase. I do not put my indoor plants outdoors during the summer - they stay indoors here all year round & seem to really enjoy this. It is too hot here to put them outdoors & then bring in for the winter, but then again we don't get the snows like you do over there I guess. Enjoy the weekend. xx

      Delete
  9. Lots of lovely 'new' pots and beautiful plants and cuttings. I could almost smell that delicious looking pot pourri. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kim says ...... Out My window has left a new comment on your post "Painting, Planting & The Daffodil Farm":

    I love all your work and I think someday maybe I can slow down enough do replicate it. Well, a girl can dream, can't she? It is funny to think that you are going into spring when we are going into fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kim ... yes even though I love spring I am still enjoying seeing all the Fall decorations in your part of the world. xx

      Delete
  11. Love your pot makeovers Julie, they are really beautiful and loved your plant labels. I love daffodils and spring bulbs but have found when I have them inside they start my asthma cough off which really brasses me off so I admire them in the garden. Iy is so lovely looking around and seeing all the spring colour but golly it has been quite cool hasn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful post Julie, with your plants and pot makeovers. Looks like you had a great day out with Sue, so good to be able to visit places you have not been able to go to for a while. The daffodil farm looks amazing, great tips for keeping the blooms going. I bet your car smelt wonderful on your drive to Gordonton.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I used to think I was the crazy plant lady, with my 50 or so houseplants. Then my son and daughter-in-law moved next door and surpassed me with plants all over the place. I think you may have surpassed them. I love the hospital corner. And wouldn't it be nice to be able to lie down somewhere and get rejuvenated?
    You have some plant varieties that have me green with envy--I just love viewing all the lovely groupings of the products of your green thumb.
    And what a grand day out with your friend. Looks like such a fun place to visit. I have never been to a daffodil farm, but I imagine the experience may be similar to the iris and tulip farms I have visited.
    Such a lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your made over pots and those labels are gorgeous. You do such lovely work. I will have to try that method to keep my daffodils nicer longer.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your pots, plants and flowers are so very lovely. I very much approve of your pink theme, pink is my favourite colour. Im looking forward to spring time here too, there is nothing better then flowers! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Emma. I absolutely agree with you ... there IS nothing better or cheerier than flowers in spring time. And my favourite colour is Pink too. ๐Ÿ’— xx

      Delete
  16. Your pots and plants look fabulous Julie, I love daffodils, and jonquils are things I remember as a kid, lovely spot to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi sweet Julie! I love your "new" pots and plant markers! So lovely! I'm ready for fall and you are ready for spring! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  18. A lovely post Julie....all your new plants look beautiful in their new spruced up containers. The daffodils are just gorgeous....so bright and cheery xxx

    ReplyDelete

Hello, & thank you for taking the time to comment on my posts - I read and appreciate each and every one of your comments :-)
I always prefer to reply to your comments by email unless you are a no-reply-blogger in which case I will reply to your comments in this section here. Thanks so much for stopping by to read & comment on my blog x0x