Saturday, October 15, 2022

A Catch-Up Post (part 1)

Greetings lovely friends & readers

Some days/weeks it feels like I achieve very little but once I look back through my photos, I see this is not always the case.

The last of the Freesias picked before the thunderstorm came

 I have been in hospital for some surgery & I came home with a long list of things I was not allowed to do .... fortunately crafting was Not one of them.


My neighbor gifted me this set of vintage scales back in January for pet feeding duties.  She no longer wanted them but they were always missing their tray.  I kept an eye out on my Op-Shop travels & found this expandable cake tin for just 50 cents in the bargain bin.


I painted it with 2 coats of matt black paint & then 2 coats of clear acrylic spray varnish.

It could do to be a little larger but in the meantime it does the job wonderfully & I'm thrilled with my 50c purchase.


My youngest son cut me out these house shapes from a piece of custom-wood that I had lying around.  This design is from an old pattern identical to this one * Here *.   Yes I had "assistance" from Blackie with this project 😉 - he very kindly helped me select which buttons to use. 




I spray painted 5 of the tags with some matt black & then added Christmas fabrics to the roof.  I glued on some wooden buttons from Theodora Cleave that I already had in my stash.  The tags can be written on with chalk, then rubbed off & re-used.  These were such a fun project. 🎄


These are photographed beside my adorable new tin sign from my dear friends Jane & Sally

One of my favorite things to do is watch YouTube videos - I find them very inspiring.  At present it seems everyone else is decorating for autumn & there are pumpkins Everywhere!  I found this simple free pattern on the internet & decided to try knitting some myself - I just love how these turned out & am now knitting some in paler colours.  Though I don't consider myself a very good knitter, these were simple & fun to create.


I had a packet of wooden coathangers in my stash like these ones * here *.  I had painted two of them ages ago but never done anything with them.  I wanted to make gifts for two friends so I decoupaged them with a gorgeous Rice Paper & then stitched my friends initials onto some linen offcuts.  These initials are a pattern from Jenny of elefantz designs - I stitched them using Cottage Garden thread Pink Lavender & tied them onto the hooks. Just before gifting I'll add a generous drop of lavender oil to them. 💜


Last year I purchased two Tilda Mystery Boxes from Craft with Fee.  I have been slowly finishing off all the projects in them & this needlecase was the last one.  Everything is included in the kitset - you just have to sit & make it all up, which is lovely & relaxing.  This particular Tilda fabric was one of my favourites from an older range.  



Just prior to my hospital admission it was my eldest sons birthday.  Nobody could visit as they all had colds & I could not afford to catch anything, so there was no celebration.  
As soon as I was home & able to, I baked him his favourites - Lasagne, & a Raspberry & White Chocolate Shortcake presented with a bowl of whipped cream! He was delighted.

(Just some of the woolly mammoths that I managed to get a pic of)

I have had Sid a couple of days last week as its school holidays here in New Zealand.  We went along to our local Library as their school holiday programme was Dinosaur Themed.  We made woolly mammoths.  Now let me tell you dear friends ... this was by far the most exciting thing that I've done for ages!! Which probably tells you something about my life of late.  (in fact I am pretty sure I enjoyed it way more than Sid did - I am writing this small as if I am whispering to you)


Thank you so very much for your visits here today dear friends,
I shall be back in a few days with Part 2 as I have lots to catch up on here,
Wishing you a wonderful weekend, be kind to yourselves & to each other,
With much love & friendship to you all,
Julie & the furry ones x0x0x


12 comments:

  1. Good to catch up! I hope your recovery is Godspeed and so glad there was no mention of 'No crafts'!!!!!!!! lol So many beautiful projects you''ve made. I love the little houses. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you a swift recovery Julie and hope you remember to relax. I am sure your furry friends are enjoying having you home.

    Julie and poppyq xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those coat hangers Julie, they look beautiful. I guess you will look forward to all school holidays and look for library activities!!Beautiful needlecase, Fee's projects are lovely to make. Loved the tags.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Julie, hope your doing well after your surgery, great scales, love all your makings especially the Christmas tags.
    So glad you like making the woolly Mammoths with Sid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you are recovering well from your surgery, it certainly hasn’t stopped you from crafting! You’re raspberry and white chocolate traybake looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooops that last comment was from me, Jill at emeraldcottage.blogspot.co.uk , I didn’t mean to be anonymous but I can’t seem to set it otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jackie says .....................
    You certainly managed to do a great many crafts. Love the knitted pumpkins and those tags are perfection.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you continue to recover well Julie, I love the knitted pumpkins, so cute!
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh! My Goodness! Julie..! This post is dated Saturday October 15th..
    And..it's just popped up, it must have traveled via ship across the
    oceans..To~day is the 20th....HeHe! :).

    Sorry to read you've had a stay over in hospital, hope it was'nt to
    long, you can't be leaving the furry ones to fend for them selves...
    Did they visit....? Bless! xx
    After four weeks of arguing over here, l had my Flu jab last Monday,
    o.k'ed my medication, o.k'ed the results of my yearly tests, and
    having my Covid booster on the 30th of this month...! What a
    performance..! :(. Still..all sorted now..! :).

    And...I do like the vintage scales, and what you've done to them,
    Looks lovely with the plants, and weights on the other side.....
    And...how about Miss Pippi...was she o.k. with Blackie helping
    out with the sewing..and choosing a button, is'nt that a bit to
    advanced for him...HeHe! Bless!x

    Yes! Soon be Halloween...Though there's a shortage of pumpkins
    in the U.K. Not that l bother with them, as my neighbours give me
    the scooped out flesh to eat, and the seeds which l roast and eat..!
    Never waste food in my home...! :O).

    Lasagne, & a Raspberry & White Chocolate Shortcake presented
    with a bowl of whipped cream! He was delighted...(I bet he was...
    so would l be..lucky boy)...! :O).
    🎃 👻 ☠️ 🎃 😱 🌛 🎃 👻 ☠️ 🎃 😱 🌛 🎃 👻 🎃 😱

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear julie, I am so sorry I'm just now seeing this post. So many days after you put it out there. I am sorry that you had surgery and hope by the time you read this you are feeling much better and allowed to do slightly more. At least you got to have a birthday party after your surgery and maybe that was more fun than before. As usual I love seeing your craft work and that is wonderful that you have something that you can do when you're not allowed to Garden right now. Which at this time of year I guess is a disappointment. We've had a frost and a freeze and everything so my gardening days are over for months on end. Take care of yourself and we will see you soon. Lynn and Precious XX

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Julie! Just wishing you a swift recovery! It certainly hasn’t slowed you down craft wise, you do make such beautiful things. Your cooking is making me hungry and reminding me that I can’t have carbs! Thank you for sharing photos of your beautiful life, your posts always make me smile. Much love, Jennie💚💚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You so much for taking the time to leave your sweet kind comment Jennie. xx

      Delete

Hello, & thank you for taking the time to comment on my posts - I read and appreciate each and every one of your comments :-)
I always prefer to reply to your comments by email unless you are a no-reply-blogger in which case I will reply to your comments in this section here. Thanks so much for stopping by to read & comment on my blog x0x