Saturday, October 22, 2022

A Catch-Up Post (Part 2) .......... (A Waffle-y Post)

 Greetings lovely friends & readers

After hitting Publish on my last post, I was unable to get it to actually Publish.   I did not know how to resolve this as contacting Blogger seems to be a mission impossible, but finally I found a Community Help Forum & a lovely Polish man named Arek very kindly assisted me.  I was So immensely grateful as I had been wondering if I may have to give up blogging if I couldn't reach you all with my posts.  It made me realise how much I would miss this chatty, friendly place called blogland.  

Anyway - all that just to say ... I am very happy to be back here again 😊 This is a bit of a waffle-y post filled with all sorts of things I wanted to share here.

During our first Lockdown in 2020, my friend Gail dug out an entire garden of Clivias down one side of her house.  Unable to visit the Dump she filled 2 black rubbish bags & The Mr picked them up from her gateway to dispose of in the farm burning hole. When I saw them on the back of his Ute I grabbed them as I thought I might have somewhere to plant them.  The greenery was all cut off & it was mainly just the root system left.  We have a large area of native trees between our house section & our rented depot yard - nothing much grows here as the tree roots have sucked all the goodness out of the soil underneath.


I carefully planted all the clivia's root systems & slowly they grew - I was delighted this spring that most of them are putting on such a lovely show of colour.  When I saw One Clivia Plant in my local Garden Centre for $25 I realised what a treasure trove I had planted here.  

Some of you may remember this table & chairs that I revamped for Juno late last year in * this post *.  On my last trip to Mums I saw the little chair (below) in the local Hospice Shop for $6.  I walked back to my car without buying it .... but then I sat & had a think & I remembered that Juno is going to be a big sister any day now.  


I thought an extra chair might be handy once Juno's new little sister can use the table too ... so I went back & paid my $6.  I gave it 3 coats of chalk paint in the colour Rosie.  It was actually a horrid thing to paint - I am not sure why but I didn't enjoy it & it took 3 coats to get a decent coverage.


I still had some of the rabbit themed transfers left over so I was able to keep the same look going.  Juno is rabbit-obsessed so I am sure she will love this pink chair & will no doubt be the bossy older sister who gets to decide who-sits-where !!


I gave the chair 4 new rubber feet that I already had on hand - as well as 2 coats of matt finish spray varnish.  I find this makes the furniture wipeable which is handy when it gets used by children. 

I saw these wooden slabs last month when I visited the Daffodil farm & purchased 4 (they were $5 each).  I had always wanted to make some stepping stones from our driveway to the corner of the deck which is where I take a short-cut every time I go to check the mail box.  The Mr made me stain them well with several coats of Oil before I set them in the ground because he is annoying, fussy thorough like that. 

I love how they turned out & now I can even pop across in my slippers 😉

I have had to make an elevation in the "hospital corner" of my lounge, where I grow all my cuttings & seedlings.  I needed somewhere to put some seedling trays so this old wooden pew made the perfect second storey addition.

Sometimes my "hospital corner" even gets the odd visitor  ............

This dinosaur is one of Sid's most favourite toys, however it looked nothing like this when his little dog Darcy had finished with it.  She had bitten the back seam right open & much of the stuffing was missing as well as several holes in the arms & legs.  I was able to sit & stitch it all up & fill it with some new stuffing - Sid was delighted.


To thank me he drew me this card ... it says "from Sid to Granny" but his G is back to front.  He also made the iceblock-stick/string toy for Pippi to play with 😉  These are the things I will treasure always. 

 

Alec has just returned from a 10 day holiday to Tasmania, Australia.  He flew with his Mum & stayed at his Aunt's rural property - off grid, way out in the Tasmanian wilderness - no power or running water!  He enjoyed every moment of it.  I love this photo above, he reminds me so much of his Dad in this photo. 


Thank you as always dear friends, for your visits here today,

Wishing you all a wonderful weekend - remember to be kind to yourselves & to each other,

(Hopefully I can get this post to actually Publish!)

With much love & friendship to you all, 💗

Julie & the furry ones x0x0x 








24 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to redo this comment as there were so many typos! I had a steroid jab in my joint/wrist a day or so ago and it's affecting my typing while it settles down. think the chair you have revamped is lovely with the bunny transfers :) Alec's trip to the wilderness sounds interesting, not the kind of experience most boys his age would encounter - I am guessing it's a holiday home and not a permanent residence as there was no power/water supply so I imagine it was quiet, untouched and full of wildlife :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, so happy you are back, and what a great post full of lovely's and goody's you have worked on.
    Alec looks like he is enjoying life in the wilderness.
    I also have a polish friend who helps me with the PC. Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brave Alec and his Mum experiencing those 'wild' conditions. Not my type of hols but then it's been so long since I've actually been on any type of holiday, I've quite forgotten what it feels like! I love the little desk and chair. Incredible job as always, Julie. You'll be heartened that you're coming into your summer months now. Have a great weekend, Julie.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goes without saying...Great post Julie..Love the Clivias..
    They look lovely with their green leaves and coloured flowers..!
    All scattered about in the sunlight...! Nice!

    And l love the chair, what could be nicer than a pink chair and
    rabbits..and easy to keep clean..! :).

    The stepping stones look very fairy~tale...hop~skip~and jump..
    Lot's of fun with those...HeHe! Let's hope they don't root and
    grow into trees..Swinging...! :O).

    I'm a little worried about my fluffy toys about the home, as my
    daughter is bringing her new puppy down at Christmas, she'll
    be into everything, think l'm gonna have to hide most things,
    and give her some just to play and tear apart...! Sigh..! :(

    And Miss Pippi...An 'odd' visitor...'odd'...'odd'...? Bless!
    Well...All pussy~cats are a bit odd l suppose..!

    Must get on...bit's and pieces to see to...soon be lunchtime,
    and it's a lovely sunny day, though rain tomorrow..! :).
    🌟 🍪 🥛 🍴 🎀 🌟 🍪 🥛 🍴 🎀 🌟 🍪 🥛 🍴 🎀 🌟 🍪 🥛

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post is so chock-full of goodies it's hard to figure out where to start. But as a flower person I'll start with those beautiful reddish orange flowers and tell you that I am totally jealous. They are simply gorgeous. I kind of think that your grandson's visit to the Outback off grid actually sounds like a refreshing place to be. You've certainly been busy and I hope you're taking care of yourself while you're doing it so that you can get out there and do your own gardening soon. And to think there's going to be a new grandbaby on the way to share things, how exciting is life going to be now. And Miss Pip gets a new homemade toy. Lynn and Precious XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You so much Lynn & Precious - you are so kind with the lovely comments you leave me - thank YOU !! Yes a new grandbaby due any day now ... a wee sister for Juno who will be so chuffed. I am so pleased I planted the clivias as they look wonderful under the native trees & take no care whatsoever. Enjoy your Sunday Lynn & Precious xx

      Delete
  7. I have never heard of Clivias before, but it looks like you made a very good save. That is a lovely display of color.
    A second bunny chair in a soft color is going to be a wonderful addition for the new big sister. A great decision to go back and get the chair.
    Love your little log slab pathway, and got a giggle over your descriptive words of the Mister.
    Looks like the new level of your hospital corner filled up quickly. Do you need to establish visiting hours to control the "odd" visitor? LOL
    Great job on the dinosaur repair. Isn't it nice to feel appreciated?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good save on the Clivias. They are expensive over here too. I only have an orange one which i've had for many, many years(bought when still cheap) i wanted to buy a cream coloured one but when i saw the price i left it. The chair is lovely & the log path is a great idea. The mr description gave me a chuckle. A very lovely thankyou card from Sid.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Clivias are gorgeous - what a stunning colour. The stepping stones look great as does the second chair - perfect for two little ones. Nice work on repairing the dragon, isn't it lovely when you get a thank you note xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Julie you have such an awesome green thumb, great save, and they look wonderful now. Cute chair, funny how some things are hard to paint, but it turned out fabulous. Wow Tasmanian wilderness, no thanks, glad Alec had fun with his Mum, and such a cute card from Sid.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Clivias are lovely, and the redone chair is just gorgeous. I am certainly glad that you managed to get back to posting.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely table and chairs for a child! You are so talented

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your sweet kind comment. xx

      Delete
  13. That table and chairs is beautiful! Can you remember where you found the transfers? I would love to do something ike that for Elsie on her wardrobe. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emma. The transfer I have used is a Re-design brand & the design is called Cotton Tail. I'll try & leave you a link here of where I got mine - not sure if it will work .... https://souldecorpaints.co.nz/shop/redesign-decor-transfer-cotton-tail/
      I see they have sold out of this design but I honestly think you will be able to get it in Australia no problem at all. Hope this helps. xx

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the link! I looked them up and I can get them in Australia at another site. I appreciate the reply! xx

      Delete
  14. Julie, your posts are always so wonderful, I want to comment on your every word and picture! That little rabbit chair is adorable. Bunny rabbits are so cute! I can't believe how you carefully planted the root systems, that were headed for the trash, and turned out all the beautiful flowers. And the stepping stones! Made of wood, and so perfect. You are amazing.What a handsome boy Alex is. He has a beautiful face and looks so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Clivias are fabulous Julie,well done for saving them. They do well over in the Bay of Plenty area.Lovely little chair for wee cherub, she will love it. The stepping stones(wood cuttings) look like they are doing a good job and it must make a big difference skipping acoss those.There has to be always a problem with IT doesn't there, nothing will ever be perfect,So glad you were able to sort it out with lots of muttering I daresay(well there would be in my case).Have a great week. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  16. I looked up clivia because they are quite beautiful and found out that the US is not a natural habitat. Cute little chair and table!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh that little table and the chairs are so beautiful, a shame you didn't enjoy the painting. It is like that sometimes you love it soemtimes you don't. Have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The clivias look amazing with the rusty bike, the colours compliment each other. Wonderful photos of your grandson xx the stepping rounds are cool, you are naughty like me outside trips in the slippers lol!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love what you have done with the little chair. It is gorgeous as all your things are. The Clivias were a lucky find and look wonderful in flower. I love your bike against the tree. The stepping stones look great too. Lucky Sid had you to fix his dinosaur. xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful score with the clivias Julie, I have bought some at the garden centre for $25 each and they do not look as healthy as yours!! I am glad you got help with blogger, i would miss your posts!!! Great purchase with the little chair and a wonderful fix of Sid's dinosaur. Lovely post Julie.


    ReplyDelete

Hello, & thank you for taking the time to comment on my posts - I read and appreciate each and every one of your comments :-)
I always prefer to reply to your comments by email unless you are a no-reply-blogger in which case I will reply to your comments in this section here. Thanks so much for stopping by to read & comment on my blog x0x