Tuesday, January 3, 2023

HaPPy NeW YeaR !!! 💗 ............... & The Tale Of The Little Red Car 🚩

Greetings lovely friends & readers

Welcome to another bright shiny New Year  💗

Lets hope 2023 is a happy & healthy one for All of Us.


I saw this verse on Instagram & thought how VeRy true & how it certainly does sum things up!  Sometimes the Awful bits go on a bit longer than the Amazing bits but I don't think any of us get to miss those bits out.  Personally I rather like the Ordinary & Mundane bits - the routine parts of life suit me just fine. 

We had a lovely Christmas with Mum in her room at the Resthome. My eldest son joined me, along with my Brother & his wife.  We were amazed the staff had gone to the effort of setting a proper Christmas table for us in Mum's room - just wonderful.  Mum is looking very frail & hardly ate anything but did enjoy the company. 

My eldest son's wife Sarah arrived late Christmas Day from visiting her family further down the Island.  Sarah & Alec were able to visit with Mum on Boxing Day & Alec read Mum a story. 

I took home an old Orange pot on my previous visit to Mum's.  Though I forgot to take a "before pic" I painted it black & then stenciled a Bee onto the side of it.  My sister in law just LoVes black & white pots on her deck area, so I planted a lovely white Impatien into it before gifting it to her.  She was delighted.  🖤


A couple of months back I purchased this wooden blue car from the St Johns Op-shop for $1.50.  When I went up to pay for it the lady said to me "Oh I guess you're buying this for your grandson".    No I was not .. it was for Me!    I had a plan for this little blue car. 

You can faintly see in the right hand pic, I've traced a black square in the back panel - I got my son Kayne to cut this square out for me as I wanted to make another "window".  

I painted the entire car with red chalk paint in the colour Raspberry Beret.  I had not used this colour before but it was the perfect Christmas Red that I was after.  Then I applied some Iron Orchid design transfers that I'd had for a couple of years.  I wanted to make it look Christmassy. 🎄


I poked some greenery & berries in the rear window & then a small size bottlebrush tree in the "new window" in the back.  Originally I painted the wheels black but didn't like them so I painted over them in red.  


Having worked in a Gift Shop for almost 20 years, I do have a tendency to turn every thing into a display.    I could not help myself with the little red car.  I found some miniature rusty tools & then decided to make a sign . . . .

I glued a piece of dowel into an old wooden cotton reel & painted it red, then glued on a wooden disk which I'd painted black ... a couple of cut-up transfers added & then I could write on my sign with chalk.


This little red car prompted an entire new Christmas display.  I used the table that I revamped in * this post * & then added vintage books, bottle brush trees, greenery & berries.  The beautiful Christmas book was a gift from my dear friend Sandy & blended perfectly on my table. 

The tiny red car had lights that came on after I added batteries

Everything was already in my stash apart from the small red car with a tree on top, which I purchased from my local Variety Store. 

A strand of Christmas lights & it looked just like a winter village/ Christmas tree farm.

You see, once upon a time there was a girl named Julie 😉 who drove a little red car for many, many years.   And many a December she actually drove Home with a real Christmas tree sticking out the rear window!! (& two sons in the back!!)    Even after she met The Mr & he eventually purchased an artificial Christmas tree - she still drove that little red car for many years to come. 😊

After fluffing for ages I was finally happy with my Christmas Coffee Table display.  I dragged out my op-shopped silver trays (polished them) & filled with freshly made citrus potpourri.

During the year I collected old amber coloured glassware whenever I saw it in the Op-shops, & I made some of these up into soy candles & displayed on another vintage tray.  I have yet to burn these - I like to let my candles harden for at least a month as they burn much better.

And YES dear friends ... I had the usual scenario  ... hadn't left enough space for a certain 4-legged fairy to plonk herself down on the table !!! How Dare I Indeed ???

This is Her Not Impressed Christmas Face !!!

                                              Thank you as always dear friends, for your visits here today,

Remember to be kind to yourselves & to each other,

With much love & friendship to you all,

Julie & the furry ones x0x0x

16 comments:

  1. So happy you had a beautiful Christmas , with a visit to your mother and with the family
    Your decorations are always so beautiful. Have a lovely New Year , hugs June.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The photos of your precious mum are beautiful, Julie. So frail but her smile says it all, really. Love the little red car you transformed and the Christmas vignette it sits within. I have many an hilarious memory of going to a Christmas tree farm, cutting down the chosen tree and travelling home with it dangerously sticking out from the car. Goodness.....what was I thinking?? Oh....those were the days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your a diamond Julie...You really are...! :)

    And Yes! 2023...Let's see what this one brings..Hopefully, the
    usual two things, Peace and Happiness..! :). Especially Peace..
    The world is in a sorry state at the moment..Let's pray, that people
    will learn to live together, help each other, and love one another..!

    Love the little blue/red car Julie and what you've done with it...HeHe!
    If it was me..l'd leave it out ALL year...The little red car and tree is
    lovely to....
    My little pink Christmas tree l got six years ago, still sits on the coffee
    table in the front room, and has never been put away..! :).

    And nice to read and see that you ALL had a great family Christmas..
    All looking well..especially Mum...Looks like you ALL had a lot of fun..! :)

    HeHe! You've finished off with the bestest photo of all of course...Miss
    Pippi does look a bit gloomy and left out...and l expect Blackie was up
    to a bit of mischief...Bless!xx

    Right! Best get on..was going into town, but it's chucking it down out there,
    so, l'll stay home in the dry...I do hate the rain...It's so wet is'nt it....! :O)
    ♫♪•*¨*•.¸ðŸ”¥ðŸ’›ðŸ”¥¸.•*¨*•♪♫ ♫♪•*¨*•.¸ðŸ”¥ðŸ’›ðŸ”¥¸.•*¨*•♪♫ ♫♪•*¨*•.¸ðŸ”¥ðŸ’›ðŸ”¥¸.•*¨*•♪♫

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your little red car story! Your decorating is beautiful and love the black and white pots. I am happy you had a special Christmas visit with your dear Mum xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julie, I am glad to hear so many of your family congregated to visit your Mum for Christmas. I am sure she cherished the moments. But the Mr. must have been glad to see you home and cooking fresh pots of food, lol. Out of your red truck display, I see a tiny tin box very old with the little girl in a fur hood. How cute! You certainly have a lot going on with your Christmas displays. I have my tree up a couple more days, but our tiny living area doesn't allow for the decorating I did 15 years ago. I miss it all. But as I age, I must enjoy seeing others' displays. Thanks for sharing. I do wish you and all yours a very Happy New Year. I know you will have challenges set before you, and you will persevere. Lynn and Precious PS, Miss Pip and Blackie and Fluffy, Happy Meow year, Precious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lynn & Precious. It was just wonderful to have the table set up in Mum's room as I had been wondering where we were all going to fit/sit! Yes that tin you spy is quite vintage. I love old tins - like I love most old things! I have taken all my Christmas down now - took me 2 full days & now the house feels bare. Happy New Year to you & Precious too. Thanks for always stopping by to leave me your lovely comments. x0x0

      Delete
  6. oh wow, I just love the displays you made... so gifted in that area and a lovely little red car story! Your mum must have loved her special Christmas visits - ... Happy New Year to you
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year Julie. Glad your Mum had a good birthday. Mine will be 92 on Saturday and we're all surprising her with lunch at a local eaterie.All the grands and great-grands will be there too!Loving Little Red Car.x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am glad you got to spend time this holiday season with your mom. Love the red truck and the whole scene that you made. Just lovely. So very talented.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's nice to got to have a mini Christmas with your mum. Lots of Christmas goodies to add to your large collection of Christmas decorations. Not long until Christmas now....lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice you and your son were able to visit your Mum for Christmas and the table set up was lovely. Your Christmas display is beautiful Julie, love the red truck and car! Many happy memories for you. Your potpourri with the citrus and the candles must smell amazing. Miss Pippi lets you know when she is not happy with things doesn't she!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i know i say it every time, but your creativity is inspiring and amazing in equal measure. A very happy new year to you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely photos Julie and so glad you were able to be with your Mum for Christmas day. The setting with your red truck is beautiful and I think I remember your red car from way back. Sometimes we have serious relationships and loyalties with a car that has treated us well.Happy new year. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you could be with your mum for Christmas. I'm sure it meant a lot to her to have family there. And how kind of the staff to set up a table for you... so thoughtful. I love your Christmas displays... you are so clever and creative!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How wonderful you got to spend Christmas with your Mum Julie, love your Christmas display, Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad you got to spend Christmas with your mum, her smile is precious. Wishing you a happy New Year Julie. Jilie and poppyq xxx

    ReplyDelete

Hello, & thank you for taking the time to comment on my posts - I read and appreciate each and every one of your comments :-)
I always prefer to reply to your comments by email unless you are a no-reply-blogger in which case I will reply to your comments in this section here. Thanks so much for stopping by to read & comment on my blog x0x