Thursday, December 22, 2022

A Re-Purposed/Thrifted Kind of Christmas .....................................

πŸ’—  Greetings lovely friends & readers   πŸŽ„


 On my last trip down to Mum's when I bought home the Chest of Drawers ... I also bought some other oddments that no doubt would have ended up in the bin.  I decided to use a few of them for some Christmas decorating projects. 


I bought Mums last 2 houseplants home with me & the silver tray (above left) was sitting under one of the plants.  It was "toss-able" as The Mr would say.  I sanded the rusty parts lightly & then gave it 2 coats of chalk paint in the colour Pumice.  


I mod-podged on a scrap of music paper, stamped the word JOY & then fashioned a wreath from a branch off a Christmas tree.  My friend Gail gave me the tree branch as the Op Shop were going to bin it.  I added some berries & a ribbon & lightly sanded the tray edges ... I really LoVe how this turned out πŸ’—

I've hung it on the wall above a small display using one of the Op-shopped plates from this post * Here *.  And YeS I really did make Santa hats for my miniature teddies !!!! πŸ˜‰ (Click to enlarge for a closer view)


Mum had a large stack of books in the spare room wardrobe - these had belonged to my Dad & he has now been gone for 22 years so I decided it was high time they got donated!!  I bought 6 home with me - glued 3 together, painted with Forest Green chalk paint & then glued on a small decal that I've had FOR ever.

I painted over the entire thing again,  then tied it up with a scrap of ribbon, tucked in some greenery & berries & added a wee tag to the bow.  A book bundle for the princely sum of $0 !!


I forgot to take a "before pic" but this tatty tray was in Mums wardrobe too.  I painted it with Linen chalk paint, then decided this was entirely the wrong colour for the transfer I wanted to apply.  So I painted it with black & then added red to the edges, lightly sanding for a more vintage look. 

I've had this transfer for 2 Christmas's now  ...  I first used it on the mirror in * this post * & absolutely love it.  It is no longer in stock so I wanted to use it for something special. I applied some of it to the frame & am so pleased with how it looks.
(The transfer is by Iron Orchid designs)

This rusty saw was $5 at the SPCA Op-shop in Mum's town. I painted it black, oiled the handle & then added another section of the transfer to it.  


This old aluminum cooking pot was in Mum's shed.  I painted it with chalk paint - Country Clay - & then added yet more of the transfer to it.  It is just perfect to sit my wee artificial tree in with a block of wood inside to prop it up a bit higher.  πŸŽ„


My entire thrifted/upcycled/repurposed display arranged together on an old trunk.  The only purchased item was the Woodland Scene Teatowel which I have used as a table runner.  


I had really wanted a Reindeer to complete the scene but at $90 + in the stores it was way out of my budget.  Then I remembered this leather one I had gifted to The Mr many years ago. I found it in his shed, the leather had gone mildewy but I was able to clean it & give it a good oil.  This will be staying inside once Christmas is all packed away.

  I encourage you dear friends ... to think outside the square.  You do not have to spend big money on Christmas decorating.  I have a couple more items that I would love to share but I feel this post is waayyy long enough so I will share those after Christmas. 




I am a creature of habit - I bake the same items each year,  those that I know & are simple.  Mars Bar Slice, Chocolate Fudge Cake & Gingernut bites.  These have been all packaged up & gifted to local friends, whom I share baking with.  The black/white striped boxes were again in Mum's wardrobe so I tizzied them up with paper doilies & a tag to present the baking in. 


I keep my eye out in Op Shops for little Christmas tins also - these are often 50 cents each & perfect for presenting baking in. 



This is my last post before I head to Mum's tomorrow dear friends,

I am hoping to be back next week with a final post before the New Year.

I would like to wish you All a most wonderful, safe & happy festive season & to thank you all with all my heart for your visits to my little corner of cyberspace & the lovely comments you take the time to leave me ... it truly warms my heart more than you will ever know.

Remember to be kind to yourselves & to each other,

With much love & friendship to you All,

Julie & the furry ones x0x0x0

26 comments:

  1. A very Merry Christmas to you as well! I love your wonderful creativity and look forward to each post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas to you Julie, such a clever crafty soul. Give the kitties a pat from us. You're a good girl spending Christmas with hour mum. Julie and poppyq xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas Julie. Love all you new decorations you've created. Very clever. Your displays are lovely. Enjoy your time away with your Mum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have such great ideas and beautiful finds. I especially love the reindeer tray and matching accessories. Have a wonderful Christmas. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Julie, I do hope you have a good visit with your Mum for Christmas. I expect the Mr. will be milking cows and maybe heating up leftovers for dinner. I like your rustic display with the saw and the tray painted black. And a reindeer! Maybe not native, lol. Now you have a piece of your dad displayed in the green books. Nice to keep a bit of rememberance that way.
    Not easy to clear out a parents home,, I know.
    Chicago has the weather loaded for us and all the central US. Their temp went from 42 F to -3 F in 27 MINUTES last eve. We are to get the same, with 70 MPH wind. Just hoping we keep the power on. Otherwise it will be a sad Christmas and I don't want all my canned food to freeze. I'll never replace it as there will be a run on the groceries before and after the storm. Never mind all that, I really do wish you a very Merry Christmas. Winter is just winter. Lynn and Precious XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lynn & Precious. Yes the Mr will be milking - we give our milker time off over Christmas & New Year. I have left plenty of food for him!! I have begun the huge process of clearing out Mums house - it is going to be left entirely to me I can tell. I really hope you keep power on for over Christmas Lynn - I hate being without power. I hope you & Precious have a most wonderful festive season - thank you for the really lovely comments you always leave me here. Xxxx πŸ’—πŸ’•

      Delete
  6. Thank you Julie for sharing , you are so talented . I love every thing you do .
    Have a blessed Christmas hugs June.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing! I too, love to recycle and repurpose. Your new creations are much better looking and have a story which means they are priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. just gorgeous decorating, you have such lovely ideas. Happy Christmas....
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the revamp of the silver tray! You have a such a creative and energetic eye for making an old "toss-able" item into something truly beautiful. I hope your Two Furry Bosses will cope with you going away, I know they miss you. Safe travels and Christmas Wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How beautiful! All of it! Oh Julie you are so creative and talented and everything you touch turns to beauty. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful decorating and so many gorgeous upcycled treasures...always such a treat to visit. Merry Christmas Julie to you and your loved ones xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just blows me away how you see "throw-aways" with different eyes and turn them into beautiful decor.
    Lovely finished products--and your baked goods look delicious!
    Merry Christmas, Julie--and the furry ones! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So clever! Your decorations are just lovely and the reindeer is very handsome. You have inspired me to slowly collect little tubs of chalk paint. Im going to start with chalk painting a lamp shade that's been banged about. Merry christmas to you and yours. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emma. Merry Christmas to you & your beautiful family too. The chalk paint test pots here in New Zealand are only about $9 & they go quite a long way. I usually just buy the test pots unless I am doing a bigger project. Warning ... chalk painting is quite addictive πŸ˜‰πŸ˜Š xx

      Delete
  14. Oh! Dear! My comment seems to have disappeared....
    It has on Henny's Blog to.....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Merry Christmas! 🎁 πŸ””πŸŽ„ Ho Ho Ho πŸŽ…πŸŽΆπŸ”” Jingle Bells πŸ”” 🎢

    ReplyDelete
  16. WILLIE...! =(^..^)= has left a new comment on your post "A Re-Purposed/Thrifted Kind of Christmas .....................................":

    Wow! That tray up top there Julie is amazing..Trying to figure out the
    tune....It looks really lovely, l've been looking in the charity shops, for
    a small tray, one l can carry three mugs of coffee upstairs of a morning!
    Daughter and hubby will be down on Boxing day...So my Christmas day
    will be next Thursday...Bit busy in the mean time Though...! :).

    Well..must get on..Oh! Julie...Thankyou! Thankyou! For the Christmas
    card from Miss Pippi an Blackie...It's lovely, and l'm gonna share it with
    a few friends...Thankyou...! :O).
    God Bless! And a very, very, Merry Christmas to one and all....And
    especially to Mum...!

    • ★ Merry ★* 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
    •。★ Christmas 。* 。
    ° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Ξ _____*。*˚
    ˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
    ˚ ˛ •˛• ˚| η”°η”° |ι–€| ˚And a Happy New Year
    * Joy to all! ♫•*¨* Peace on Earth ♪♫•*¨*

    πŸŽπŸ’ πŸŽ„✨πŸŽ„ πŸŽ… πŸŽ… ⛄ ❄️ πŸŽπŸ’ πŸŽπŸ’ πŸŽ„✨πŸŽ„ πŸŽ… πŸŽ… ⛄ ❄️

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love to see your repurposed items Julie and your Christmas display is beautiful. I made bumble bees to gift some to the neighbours this year but sadly they have been eaten!! Actually that is good as they taste wonderful, I haven't had them for years.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely Julie, love all the pretties you have refashioned. I smiled at your remark "tossable". Love the leather deer! He is much better gathered with all your Christmas pretties than gathering mould in the Mr's shed.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You always amaze me with what you come up with Julie. I wish I could think like you. Your little bears with their tiny Christmas hats are so cute. A belated Merry Christmas and now a Happy New Year. Here's to another year are friendship. Sending you hugs Julie. xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. I loved being here this first time. I would love to be able to craft like that--- and I thoroughly admire all those who do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your sweet kind comment. xx

      Delete
  21. Jackie has left a new comment on your post "A Re-Purposed/Thrifted Kind of Christmas .....................................":

    What a lovely thrifted Christmas. Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, & thank you for taking the time to comment on my posts - I read and appreciate each and every one of your comments :-)
I always prefer to reply to your comments by email unless you are a no-reply-blogger in which case I will reply to your comments in this section here. Thanks so much for stopping by to read & comment on my blog x0x