Monday, March 11, 2024

Fun Painting & Not-So-Fun Painting ........................

Greetings lovely friends & readers

After I returned from laying Mum's ashes I had a moment of absolute madness burst of enthusiasm whereby I decided to paint my entire bedroom (!!)

Yes we're starting with the not-so-fun-painting ............ ๐Ÿ˜‰

The sweetest jar of flowers delivered to me by Sid yesterday - made me smile so much 
๐Ÿ’›
 

This is how we have been living for the past 10 days - with the bedroom in upheaval but still needing to be slept in at nights.  Yes I have had assistance of the unwanted variety ๐Ÿฑ
The walls & ceiling are finished now, I just have the door to do but have been putting everything back in place, which requires much cleaning & some sorting (getting rid of) 

Reality check ...... this is how the Lounge looked while things were moved in here to make room for painting - I don't enjoy living in disarray but I do enjoy the nice fresh paint work at the end.  
My blinds have been sent away to be professionally cleaned & once they return (hopefully in a day or 2) I can share photos of the finished room.

-  The Fun Painting  -
When I cleared out Mum's house for sale exactly a year ago now I bought her Glory Box home with me.  I didn't especially need it (or have room for it) but just could not bear to part with it.  It sat in a corner of my bedroom where I proceeded to clutter it up with blankets & suchlike.  I decided to give it a make-over while everything else was in a big shambles.


I used chalk paint in the colour Linen - I decided to try rolling it on.  I'd not tried this before with chalk paint but my friend Gail swears by it for large flat surfaces. I was really pleased with how it went onto the wood surface & the finished effect.
  You can see above right I had the very same unwanted assistance - see the arrow - the little paw poking through.  Someone thought the roller going up & down was the most marvellous fun game  ๐Ÿ˜


Because I didn't feel confident I put it only quite thinly, so it took 4 coats to cover it well.  First coat top left, final coat top right.  I am so pleased with the coverage on it though & would definately use the roller method again.


I even painted inside the lid.  The box has a tray that fits just inside the top.  Mum had this made when she was a young woman & I especially love the curved sides of it.  
They call them Blanket boxes nowadays but when Mum was young, most girls had a Glory Box or a Hope Chest.

I had this gorgeous transfer bought from * Here * that I wanted to apply.  I just love how this has transformed the piece ... I gave it two good coats of wax when finished to protect it. 


Here it is in place in my bedroom & I've hung the mirror that I revamped in * this post * above it - (same Linen colour). 



My bedroom has French Doors leading off to an area of deck - this room gets wonderful afternoon sun. 

THIS is what I came home to yesterday!! I'd left some folded washing on the Glory box & The Mr had spread it out for Blackie to curl up on.  I have to say this is not what I had in mind when I revamped Mum's Glory Box (!!)



Here is the Turtles plant that my dear friend Sandy gifted me a couple of years ago.   You can read about the stool I revamped for it in this Post.   As you can see it has long outgrown the stool & I wanted something higher for it - away from tempting little furry paws!

BEFORE                                                                AFTER

I'd asked my friend Gail to let me know if any plant stands came into the Op Shop where she volunteers.  Within a week she'd messaged me saying one had come in, to pop in & have a look.  For $10 I snapped it up - it was black but I knew I could paint it.  Yesterday I gave it 3 coats Vintage White chalk paint. I love how the wood detailing shows up now with the lighter colour.

............ & the perfect height to keep away from little paws & the vacuum cleaner (!!)

Many of you ask if the 3 furry friends are getting along any better now after all these months?  To be honest, not really ... but I will take any signs of progress I can get  ..........
............ & this pic snapped yesterday was definately progress in my book!  
Please excuse the DIY-ing conglomeration on my deck area, paint pots, trays, backpacks of spray etc. 
 But I did smile when I saw this & grabbed my camera. Mind you it only lasted a few minutes before the hissing began again.

Thank you as always dear friends, for your visits here today,
Wishing you a wonderful week ahead - remember to be kind to yourselves & to each other,
With much love & friendship to you all,
Julie & the furry three x0x0x0



27 comments:

  1. Love your little helper, so cute. The glory box looks gorgeous. Dad made boxes many years ago for us girls & looking at yours i wish he had put feet on them. Must look into doing that. My poor turtle plant isn't doing well at all, yours looks great & love the new stand. Nice to see the fur babies getting along even if only for a few minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here in Canada we call your glory box a cedar chest. You did an awesome job with yours.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know where to start. Nothing nicer than fresh flowers. Your dear Mums Glory box looks fabulous and I love it there beside your beautiful French doors. The plant stand has turned out so well and perfect now for your turtle plant. I love the 3 Amigos observing a lull in hostilities lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful transformation of your Mum's Glory Box. the plant stand is lovely too. I've never heard of a turtle plant but it's very pretty. I'm guessing that toleration is about the best you can expect from the three kitties!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a cedar wood chest that belonged to my mother. It smells wonderful and is probably about the same size as your glory box. I had to look up the turtles plant - hasn't it got pretty leaves?
    The three furry ones in fairly close proximity is a lovely sight, even if the ceasefire didn't last long - it's progress:-) x x x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Julie, I love the way you have refurbed your mum's curved blanket box, it's very pretty. Nice pic too of the 3 kitties sunning themselves. I love house decorating and am planning to do some wall and ceiling paining when we get warm weather. I think your bedroom must be wonderful to wake up in with those lovely french doors! Betty (Elderberry Rob).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a lovely feeling to have a newly decorated room and everything clean and tidy. Makes all the effort worthwhile. You just need that burst of enthusiasm to get started! Great work on that beautiful Hope chest, such a lovely term. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely way to honour your Mum's glory box (even if it made the perfect sleeping place!). I could do with a plant stand like that for my string of hearts plant- I shall have to have a look round! Both great projects. I am sure the bedroom will be worth it once it is finished. Little One looks like he's having the best time - despite the hissing from the others!
    Have a good week
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness! Everything is so pretty!!I love your mom's hope chest. I also have my mom's.
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah! All very lovely, as usual Julie...
    And yes, always the same, when doing a room out,
    not so much the painting, it's clearing, cleaning all
    the stuff that has to be removed...and then putting
    it all back again...!
    Looks as though your getting there.....! :).

    The Glory box...as you call it, over here we call them an
    'ottoman' and l have my Mum's in the spare room, full
    of blankets and bits and peices...l always joked, as my
    Mum was just five foot, l was going to bury her in it,
    save on the expense of a coffin, but no, that's not allowed...
    HeHe! We all chuckled about it...she wanted to be cremated
    in the end...!
    My ottoman is the same size as yours, and made of oak, and
    very heavy, l'm trying to find a home for it, it's free to anyone
    who wants it...! :).

    The furry ones all look lovely and settled, as we know, anything
    flat with a cushion or blanket on, will make a sound sleeping
    bed for a short while...Bless..!xxx

    Best get on..nearly lunch time, and l've got a big bag of fresh sprats,
    to get through, covered in flour, fried in butter....job done...Yum..! :O)
    ๐Ÿ’ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐ŸŽ‡๐Ÿงจ๐Ÿ•›๐Ÿฅณ๐ŸŽ‰๐Ÿ’ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐ŸŽ†๐Ÿงจ๐Ÿ•›๐Ÿฅณ๐Ÿ’ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐ŸŽ†๐Ÿ’ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐ŸŽ‡๐Ÿงจ๐Ÿ•›๐Ÿฅณ

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, where to start with comments! First, I will never paint a room again, so you are to be congratulated for such a mind blowing job and doing it so well. I usually like wood to stay natural, but the dark Glory Box definitely looks much better with pale paint and the lovely white roses on it. And also who ever painted the plant stand black, it certainly looks better now in your care. What a long plant that it is! Always happy to see a few flowers and of course all 3 kitties! And in one photo! We have 10 below freezing this morn but after 4 days of darkness there is a sunrise. Once again it will warm up a few days and then back to rain. Your energy just never rubs off onto me, lol. Lynn and Precious XX

    ReplyDelete
  12. Les has dado una nueva vida a รฉsas dos piezas y te han quedado fantรกsticas, ahora te toca disfrutarlas. BESICOS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. from google translate .....
      You have given a new life to those two pieces and they turned out fantastic, now it's your turn to enjoy them. KISSES.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much Arish ... you are so sweet. xx

      Delete
  13. oh my goodness Julie, you put us all to shame, can I have some of what your on๐Ÿ˜‚ Love what you did to your mum's old glory box, looks fabulous, well all three cats in the one shot, that's got to be good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Julie, everything looks Lovely! Oh my, the turtles has found a happy place to flourish. Sandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandy ... Yes I just love the turtles plant - thanks to You ๐Ÿ–ค xx

      Delete
  15. Always love to come over and see your blog ,full of fun and wonderful decor , hugs June.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Julie you made the box beautiful. You should print out this post, laminate it and tuck into the top of the box, so that one day someone will know how special it is to you and your mum.

    Looks like the cats love it to, and it made me smile to see them sitting so close together.

    Julie xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my is there anything you won't put your hand to? Well done with all that painting. I agree about the curve on the glory box (we called it a kist) - it's lovely and the plant stand looks so much better...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  18. kiwikid has left a new comment on your post "Fun Painting & Not-So-Fun Painting ........................":

    You have been so busy Julie! Well done on painting your room and coping with the helper!! Your Mum's Glory Box looks amazing with your make over - oh dear the Mr needs a talking to I think!! I hope the cats can develop some kind of friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Done your mum proud there. Its beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Caz ... I am really pleased with how its turned out too. xx

      Delete
  20. Just wanted to say what a lovely job you have made of your mums bedding box, it looks beautiful, she would be delighted im sure.

    Your bedroom looks so tranquil and relaxing, did you make the gorgeous quilt.

    Its such a treat reading your blog.

    Take care and kind regards
    Lynnette

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, my goodness, Julie, this was such an entertaining post. Those three furry friends really keep you on your toes. I am certainly grateful I don't get so much "help" when I try to paint.
    Your Mom's Glory Box (I love that name) turned out beautifully, and makes a lovely spot for a cat nap. ha ha!
    Your new plant stand for the turtle plant looks perfect, and I agree that the white paint shows of the details of the design much better!
    That last photo of the stand-off (lay-off) between the cats had me chuckling. Knowing their history, you can sense that they are eyeing each other with a degree of distrust.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dear Julie, your glory box has turned out beautiful, so glad you got to keep it. Your room is going to be so lovely and fresh, the journey as you say to get there is not so much fun. Lovely photo of the furry ones, yes , a little progress.Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  23. How beautiful is that glory box now, and I really do like the makeover of the plant stand...having the actual shape stand out has given it life. I would love to paint things...aah, one day perhaps. In the winter. ;-) God bless my friend!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, & thank you for taking the time to comment on my posts - I read and appreciate each and every one of your comments :-)
I always prefer to reply to your comments by email unless you are a no-reply-blogger in which case I will reply to your comments in this section here. Thanks so much for stopping by to read & comment on my blog x0x