Saturday, December 3, 2022

My Childhood Chest of Drawers

Greetings lovely friends & readers

On my last trip to Mum's, when I told my brother I would be taking home the old chest of drawers out in Mum's shed, he said some words I can't actually print on here 😉 ... but their interpretation went something like "was I barking mad?!"  No I was not !

It took some effort on my part to load them into my vehicle as they are native timber & not exactly light ... but I was determined.

This chest of drawers was used by my brother & I for the first 5 years of our life as we shared a bedroom together.  Eventually we got our own bedrooms & I think he used this for awhile longer before it got moved out to Dad's shed & became home to all his painting & wallpapering gear.  You see my Dad was a painter & paperhanger.  When I got the drawers home & loaded onto my deck I realised they were probably in much worse state than I had envisioned.  But that's okay - I still had a "plan". 😉😶
 

The drawers & the sides of the unit were full of borer holes.  I sanded & stripped the wood - it took me a week but that wasn't continually working on it - that was walking away from it quite often !!
I treated it by spraying with kerosene to kill any live borer lavae.  Then I set about filling all those borer holes with wood putty.  Believe me friends, there were about a gazillion of them !!

Lastly I oiled the wood using a woodstain that I already had on hand.  It has actually turned out darker than I wanted but I am fairly sure where I have placed it - on my covered deck area - it will soon lighten a bit & fade.  The stain looks patchy here but it is not this bad in real life.  I also replaced the 5 handles with new ones as they were broken.  I wanted a simple handle - nothing too fancy.  

My "plan" for this chest of drawers & my "vision" was to use it to house all my garden supplies.  These were previously sitting on our old dog kennel & often looked messy/unsightly when you walked up our deck steps.

Everything fitted in perfectly & I also ran an old candle along the base of the drawers as the wax helps them to glide open & closed easily.  I was really pleased with how it turned out but felt it needed "something more" ..............


I ended up purchasing this botanical transfer from * this * gorgeous shop & I think it just finished it all off nicely.  I am really pleased with how these drawers turned out & the fact that they are so useful is a double blessing.  

Safely under cover on my deck area & out of any weather.


Attractive as well as useful at the same time 💚


I also washed all my china plates & replaced a couple that had big chips/cracks in them using the plates I op-shopped in * this post * for $2 each. 



"Beautical Sunray Pink Petunia" in my wrought iron chair planter - a gift from my friend Julie 💗


Lastly dear friends - I absolutely LoVe this photo above - look at the body language on Sid! Could he sit much further away? 😊 He is not especially fond of Santa, but he thought there might be a toy involved so he persevered. Makes me smile everytime I look at it.

Thank you as always dear friends, for your visits here today,

Enjoy the weekend, remember to be kind to yourselves & to each other,

With much love & friendship to you all,

Julie & the furry ones x0x0x

16 comments:

  1. The chest of drawers look fabulous. Love the decals on them. Your deck sure looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a brilliant job you have made of the chest - such patience! It does look great. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie! Julie! What can one say...You have certainly
    surpassed yourself this time...The chest of drawers
    look amazing..The difference in the colour tune, is
    quite striking..the little handles to...!
    And the transfers sets the whole thing off...Well done
    you...!
    HeHe! You did'nt say which of the five drawers you
    and your brother slept in...! :O).
    AND...You'll have to leave one or two drawers open,
    so the nosey...furry ones can explore...Bless!xx

    I find plates on a wall...nice...but l also find the food
    always falls off the plate at the same time...being at
    such an angle...! :(.

    So the guy in the red suit is Santa...wearing a very
    posh looking watch....
    What do you call a kid who doesn’t believe in Santa....?
    A rebel without a Claus...

    How does Santa take care of sick people...?
    He nurses them back to elf...

    What do you call a cat who works for Santa...?
    Santa Claws...
    🎅 🎄 🎅 🎄 🎅 🎄 🎅 🎅 🎄 🎅 🎄 🎅 🎄 🎅

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sid looks like he's on the verge of questioning Santa's authenticity! I think you did a great job on your childhood chest of drawers, oiling the wood made such a difference and the handles look really neat :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute with Sid. What child wants to sit on the lap of a loud voiced fat person who hollers out HO HO HO and has a
    covered face! I'm not sure I remember when I was small that our little city stores had a Santa. If they did, I guarantee
    I would not even get close if he promised me a Thumbalina doll, lol. Actually, he brought me an imitation doll that I loved to death. The petunias are just a perfect spot of color with your newly cleaned and also new to you plates. Once again, I so enjoy seeing Spring/Summer thru your photos. It is good to know you felt up to the task of refinishing the chest. Lynn and Precious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lynn & Precious. He has never really been that keen on Santa to be honest. At least this one looks like he was fairly quietly spoken & gentle with Sid.
      I am so pleased I persevered with the chest of drawers - it took me a whole week as I had to keep leaving it & resting. But the vision that I had in my minds eye has come to life, even if it has turned out darker than I envisioned. Happy Sunday to you both. xx

      Delete
  6. I love what you did with saving that old chest. It looks beautiful and you did a great job on it. I like to do this as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a transformation... and now very useful as well as looking great.... I love the arrangement of plates too. Poor Sid - so many children are scared of Santa. Well done him for sitting there and I hope he got a present he liked!
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow your old chest of drawers looks fabulous Julie, love your deck. Ahahahaha my first born was the same, no way was he going to sit in Santa's knee, didn't want a bar of him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your finish on those drawers. We finished my old childhood drawers and once done gave them to the DS's to use as they needed someplace to store their clothing. Upcycling and redoing things is a wonderful past time.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Julie You make everything so beautiful. lovely post, Hugs June.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've done a cracking job on that chest of drawers. All that history and being used again. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My father was a painter and took up paperhanging. Then, he was a contractor. I can paint and hang paper.

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW Julie! It's hard to believe it's the same chest of drawers. They look fabulous. I love the plates on the wall. They are all so pretty and it's a lovely way to show them off. Sid definitely looks as if he's not too sure about Santa!

    ReplyDelete
  14. totally adore what you did with the old chest of drawers, they look superb & would've been a shame to waste them, well done!
    just caught up reading another 5 posts, haven't been doing much blog reading of late so am way behind but i always love doing catch up here, it's always so interesting with all the different crafts you do
    never stop being you, you bring so much joy with your repurposed creations
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO so much for your very kind & lovely comment Selina. That is so kind of you to say. I often pop by your blog to see if you are posting again as I did used to enjoy your posts. But life & things just get in the way sometimes & I do understand. xx

      Delete

Hello, & thank you for taking the time to comment on my posts - I read and appreciate each and every one of your comments :-)
I always prefer to reply to your comments by email unless you are a no-reply-blogger in which case I will reply to your comments in this section here. Thanks so much for stopping by to read & comment on my blog x0x