Sunday, January 31, 2021

Home From Mum's

 Greetings lovely friends & readers

I have returned from my trip down to my Mum's & these two have not let me out of their sight since my return.

 
Yes - you see correctly dear friends .... they are on the good bedspread Again 😕 (!!)


I must mention - the morning I got up early to travel, Blackie bought me in a little "leaving gift"  -  & left it on the dining room carpet where I very nearly stood in it !! (Tho' my photography is not showing it's full size - it is indeed a rat !!)

Mum has a wooden fence that runs the entire width of her property - my brother had water blasted this fence but not got around to staining it.  I offered to do it while I was there.  I have to say - about 5 minutes into this project I wished I had kept my mouth shut tight. It was a horrid job & took me 3 days in the hot sun to get 2 good coats on both sides.



            I was very pleased & relieved to complete this job & Mum was happy.

I took Mum to the crematorium where Dad's ashes are scattered & we took flowers as we usually do. It is so nice to see the silk flowers from the previous visits are still there along with the little plaque that Mum has put there for Dad. We had not been to visit this spot for nearly 2 years.



 Mum has lost yet more weight.  I realised she is giving her delivered hot meals to her "new friend" - a stray cat that visits daily crying with hunger.  I went to the Supermarket & bought a couple of big bags of dry cat food & set up a little tray down the back where Mum had been throwing her hot meals.  By the time I left the cat was eating the dry food.  I was able to pat it on one occasion but I did get hissed at too - underneath all that fur he/she was very bony.

While waiting on a prescription for Mum I had approximately 5 minutes to do a quick scour of the 2 Op Shops that are opposite each other in Mum's small town - Hospice & the SPCA.  I was thrilled to find all this vintage glassware for the sum total of $24.00. I have a large Candle Order to complete & am rather short of vintage glassware containers.  These have all been put through my dishwasher & have come out sparkling.

It has been very dry while I was away & nothing got watered so much of the veggie garden is going to seed.  The tomatoes are just starting to ripen at long last & this was my pickings this morning - courgettes, a cucumber & some tomatoes. 



The lillies outside my dining room window were bent over from the winds, so I picked a couple of big stems to enjoy inside,  tied the remaining ones up & gave them a good watering with the sprinkler.  I know lots of folk don't like the fragrance of lillies inside but I just love them 💗


This dahlia decided to put on it's very first bloom.  This is Cafe au lait - I had to put my name down for these bulbs at my local Garden Centre & wait a whole year for the bulbs to come in. I bought two packs (they limited numbers) & planted them not far from each other - this one has come up but the other has not showed its head above ground.  These heads are the size of a dinner plate. 

I bought this terracotta pot home from Mum's shed - she has alot she no longer uses.  I scrubbed it yesterday & painted it with a new colour chalk paint - Pumice by Reloved Boutique.

This morning I applied a Re-design transfer to it & waxed it well.  It is a birthday gift for a friend who I am catching up with tomorrow.


I like to paint the inside too when it is to be planted as I feel it protects the outside paint & transfer quite a bit more.


This vintage enamel wall vessel has been sitting on The Mr's work bench for over a year now a very long time.  Finally while I was away he managed to fashion me a little tap to screw into the hole in the bottom where a tap would have originally been.  I was delighted.

This morning I applied an Iron Orchid Design transfer to brighten it up a little - I just LoVe it so much 💕 & would like to sit some dried flowers in the top at some stage.


Thank you as always for your very welcome visits today dear friends,
I hope the coming week is good & kind to you all - a shiny new week tomorrow And a shiny new month,
With much love & friendship to you All,
Julie & the furry ones x0x0x

26 comments:

  1. So glad you had a good visit with your mum and could finish up her fence, even if it was a bugger of a job. I love the dish that you painted and put the transfer on for your friend. It looks brand new and it's a lovely birthday gift. The wall vessel is lovely too... I love cardinals! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  2. You will be spending more time at your mom's in the future I am afraid. Yes I can tell tat is a rat by its tail. So generous. Love you stuff. and that fence would be a killer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kim. I go to Mum's about every 2 to 3 months to take her for her Dr's visits. I dislike the long journey full of traffic but am always relieved when a visit is behind me again & I can get home to my cats even tho' they leave me "unwanted gifts". xx

      Delete
  3. The cats are adorable together. :)
    Blackie brought you something very precious--to a cat. Shows how much they love you.
    That looks like a huge job to give that long fence 2 coats.
    Precious time you spend with your Mom. We have talked of our parallel experiences with our moms.
    That Dahlia is insane! Wow!!
    The two up-cycles you shared here are as impressive as always. I love seeing the transformations.
    A very nice closing thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your lilies but please keep them well away from your gorgeous cats, they are poisonous to cats.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HeHe! You see how the two furry ones love you and
    miss you Julie..leaving you a special food gift,
    they probably thought you might get peckish on
    your journey..Bless them!xx

    Glad you sorted Mum out with food for her new friend,
    in the summer months out on the patio, l share my
    food with Fudge, he tends to look on my plate, sniff,
    and takes what he likes...Naughty boy! :).

    And Mums fence..goodness Julie..that's certainly is a
    job and a half, and three days..! Well done you!
    And, you managed a couple of Op shops to..!

    Weather over here has been very wet, floods up the
    Midlands and the North..drier to~day for a change..
    We're still in Lockdown to..though l popped up the
    surgery yesterday for my vaccine jab, back in three
    weeks for a follow up...! One thing out the way! :O)
    🍁 🍂 🍃 🍁 🍂 🍃 🍁 🍂 🍃 🍁 🍂 🍃 🍁 🍂

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's nothing as boring as fence painting. The main reason why I planted hedges around my boundaries. Now I have got the boring job of trimming them. Ha ha. Your photo's are very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You so much Iona. The fence felt long & tedious but thankfully the second coat went on a little bit faster. I was SO pleased to see the end in sight.

      Delete
  7. I, too, enjoy the fragrance of lilies. No white lilies here today. Only 7 inches of fresh snow, lol. You certainly had
    your hands full at your mum's with the waving of a different kind of paint brush. Hope she is sorted out for a while with
    feeding herself first and poor lost kitty second. You worked hard there, and now home with crafty projects to keep you
    even busier. I'd rather Precious have a 'naner than a live rat! Lynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lynn. Gosh its hard to imagine that it is snowing where you are as I sit here with the fan & the aircon on full. Yes I think you are right regarding the rat!!

      Delete
  8. I just love what you did with the 'wall vessel' with the cardinal bird - as you know my ocd makes me a tad anti clutter but that is useful and beautiful so gets my rubber stamp! I can imagine that fence was a bummer - especially in heat and two coats - you certainly don't give up! Glad you are home but it's so good that you saw your mum, I sense that when you have you feel more at peace with life in general.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Julie, thank you so much for your smashing post. As always I feel inspired by your lovely work. I have a few vintage glass pieces that I thought I might just send for glass recycling, but will now upcycle them into some wee gifts. I adore your Dahlia by the way. I grew Dahlias from seed last year, I was so shocked that such a beautiful flower can grow from a seed that looks like a large wood splinter. Keep well and safe, Jean

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG Julie, painting a fence is just the worst! I did ours in town after my husband put up a 6ft. paling and weeded gates i wa in my 30s then. Never again.
    I hate your rat. Living in the country..... after I was in hospital for 7 weeks a couple of years ago (my husband came too ) we returned to a house that was invested with mice plus a couple of big brown furry rats. First move I made was to ring the exterminators and a great job they did too. Just adore your glass. I collect antique Lalique. That’s not really glass it’s rock crystal but I love the beauty of old patterned glass. My eyes turned green when I saw your selection. ❤️Your videos, ❤️ your cats and ❤️ you. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. as always your recycled items are just gorgeous... Jolly well done on that fence job! I certainly wouldnt have put my hand up for something like that but it does look so good....
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always look forward to one of your posts, especially when you show pictures of the kitties. They are so sweet. So happy you got your mum and her kitty straightened out. I hate to see a person or an animal go hungry. Loved seeing all your new projects, garden produce and those beautiful flowers. All my lilies bulbs were eaten by the squirrels. I do have some dahlias but nothing as pretty as that one. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Beverly. I hate to see any animal go hungry too - I guess I get it from my Mum as she always seems to end up with stray cats at her place. Have a great week Beverly. xx

      Delete
  13. Don't you just love the gifts that our cats leave for us.

    Glad you bought food for that poor hungry kitty.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like you were busy with your Mum. Her fence does look good and I'm sure she's very happy with it. That was a good idea to buy some cat food. Hopefully now your Mum will eat her own dinner. The dahlia is beautiful. I was at Noel's brother's last week and they had a garden full of dahlias although their flowers weren't as big as your one. I'm going to get some to plant. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those cats of yours Julie know where it is the most comfy I would guess, and were keeping it warm for you😊 isn't that nice of Blackie to send you off on your trip with a gift🤢 Lovely glassware from the op shops, I think I have that big one in the front, or something similar. Wow I think I like those dahlias Julie, love your pot and enamel tin, yes a new month already, time flies, have a great week. Chris xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dahlias are gorgeous flowers. I'm always surprised at how lovely they are. I don't know why I continue to forget this>

    ReplyDelete
  17. I thought that was a mouse at first! We have a few rats around at the moment - I expect attracted by the bird food we put out - I know cos I spotted a couple sneaking out in daylight for a nibble! Well done on getting that fence stained - great job! I love the planter and your old water thingy. Maybe I should risk some of my old glass in the dishwasher - your sparkles so beautifully! xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You did a wonderful job with that fence Julie, there certainly is a lot of it!! Good to hear you got some food for the cat, not so good to hear your Mum has been feeding it her meals, hopefully that has stopped now. Good on Blakcie for giving you a present, I am sure you could have managed without it though!! Great glass collection you found, and your enamel wall vessel looke wonderful after some Julie treatment! The dahlia is huge, we have very small ones here!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a lovely post, Julie - lovely photos (quickly scrolled past the rat LOL!)and vintage finds and makeovers and that dahlia the size of a dinner plate!!
    You have a wonderfully caring mum, but I am SO very glad you bought dry cat food so that your mum can eat her own food. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, & thank you for taking the time to comment on my posts - I read and appreciate each and every one of your comments :-)
I always prefer to reply to your comments by email unless you are a no-reply-blogger in which case I will reply to your comments in this section here. Thanks so much for stopping by to read & comment on my blog x0x