Thursday, January 7, 2021

These Twixmas Days (Part 1)

Greetings lovely friends & readers -  Happy Bright Shiny New Year to you All !!!

I read on Lucy's blog that the days in between Christmas & New Year are called Twixmas days.  After the busy-ness of Christmas passes I just love these more relaxed days with less pressure & no meals to cook as plenty of leftovers to consume.  Sometimes it inspires me to craft & create, to garden or just relax with a book.


This is how the furry two spent their New Year - tucked up together on the bed !!

My New Year celebrations involved a glass of bubbles, an early night with a good book & at least One Cat tucked up beside me - just perfect !!




We have welcomed a new furry member to our extended family


After the sad passing of dear little Karma in * this post * Sid's family have welcomed a new furry girl into their lives ... dear little Darcy whom is both delightful AND rascally all rolled into one.  She even got to take part in the annual Christmas Photo Shoot.



I spent 2 1/2 days putting the Christmas decorations away & this was alot less fun than it was putting them all out. 

 I came across this stitchery tucked in a Simply Vintage magazine - it is an older pattern by Natalie Bird of The Birdhouse - stitched way back when I ran my craft cottage.  I found some matching fabric in my stash so I bordered & backed it & made the 5 felt pennies that the pattern called for.

As I didn't have any spare wire hangers I used this old wooden lace making spindle to hang it from.


This sweet little Moptop kitset was a gift from my neighbor for pet feeding duties & I finally found time to make her up using a hot fix rhinestone tool borrowed from a friend.

The lace detailing on her felt hat                                          Her beaded "legs" under her petticoat

 I must be honest here & say that although I am pleased with the finished product she was not especially enjoyable to put together & I didn't seem to have enough fingers or hands at times !!! πŸ˜‰


Whilst I was digging out long-forgotten-kitsets I found this one above - an Op Shop purchase for $5 & it had everything included inside to create the 6 wool felt decorations.

These were very enjoyable to stitch of an evening & you can either affix a tie to hang them from the tree or a small gift can be fitted inside each one as they are backed with wool felt.  My favorite was the black cat but Sid told me he preferred the sheep 😊



In early December I ordered the above pad of Iron Orchid Transfers from * this online store *    - it was not inexpensive but had so much in it - 8 pages of transfers in total.


I wanted to affix the Deer's head to a mirror but had nothing suitable - I was so delighted when The Mr picked this one up for me off Facebook Marketplace for a bargain price & wasted no time applying my transfer




Really tricky to photograph !!  The Mr thought I may want to paint the frame but I loved the slightly coppery rustic look of it all.

The day after Boxing Day I headed down to Kinloch - a small bay on the edge of Lake Taupo.  My eldest son & his family have built a holiday home there & younger son & family were also staying in Kinloch.  



We had a wonderful family day together. I took a picnic lunch & we went to the Lake edge where we flew kites, & the little ones swam in the crystal clear (but freezing cold) lake water.



Even Darcy came along for the day 😊


Thank You all So Very Much for your visits here today dear friends,
I shall be back soon with Part 2 of my Twixmas escapades.
I hope your week is going well ... remember to be kind to yourselves & to each other,
With much love & friendship to you all,
Julie & the furry ones x0x0x

22 comments:

  1. May I say firstly that I really need to have that wardrobe of yours. =) It's a fabulous piece of furniture. Twixmas.....what a fun term. Gosh, that's a long time to put all the Christmas pretties away. Love the sweet stitchery and all those sweet felt decorations; thought you might like the black cat best. How sweet Darcy is. A new puppy is always exciting and fun. Wonderful your son has a holiday house in such a beautiful setting. Great too, you can enjoy it from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun to have a place to gather near water. I love all your creations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kim - yes it is such a lovely place to visit & being right on the water was a bonus.

      Delete
  3. You make so much! that was very clever how you photographed the deer on the mirror :) the new dog is cute, I think it's very important for children to have pets in their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HeHe! Brilliant! But! But!
    Can l make it perfectly clear, l do not,
    do not..wear pyjamas..(English spelling)..
    I wear night~shirts, always have, always
    will..! HeHe! That's how l was always known
    as..Wee Willie Winkie..! :).
    HeHe! Enough of my personal attire..!

    Ah! And little Darcy, how lovely, is it a
    cat or a dog..? HeHe! I jest!
    Has the furry ones met him yet, that will be
    an experience to behold..Bless!xx

    And..Bonnie Moptop looks lovely to..Love the
    hat..the Christmas Woolens look nice to..!

    Photos at the bottom are lovely to Julie...
    Looks like great fun..
    We're on Lockdown over here..again..things
    are'nt to good either, lot of people dying!
    Still..the vaccine is up and running, with
    a second one being released to~day..easier
    to keep, and use..it'll be a few months
    before things change for the better!
    In the meantime..."Onwards and Upwards"...
    πŸ’› 🌱 🌸 🌱 πŸ’œ πŸ’› 🌱 🌸 🌱 πŸ’œ πŸ’› 🌱

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you had a wonderful picnic! Love the little ornaments. Liz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Julie, you are right about the Christmas decorations, it's all fun and games put them up. Not so much taking them down. Each year less and less goes up. Looking forward to gardening season and starting seeds, until them I'm moving my hook and hunkeing down. Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous sun shiny photos Julie, they are just the ticket. I would love to be in NZ just now seeing our wonderful family there. But that will have to wait for a wee while. Thank you as always for sharing your makes. I too have been working on a mirror and will post about that shortly. sending lots of love to you
    Jean x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful weather for a trip to the lake. So nice to hear your family get together there. And a new puppy in the family.
    I bet Darcy comes along with Sid on weekly visits. My heart, however, is with your kitties, Miss Pip and Blackie. The
    mirror looks a bit holographic, and to think the hubby found the mirror for you. He gets an extra dessert for that with tea. Happy New Year and happy new crafting projects. Lynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lynn. I don't think Darcy will be coming when I have Sid on Tuesdays as we are not dog proof here & are on a busy road. Plus I think Miss Pip & Blackie would have their noses so far out of joint - they may never recover!!! Happy New Year to you & Precious too Lynn - thanks for the lovely comments you always take the time to leave me here xx

      Delete
  9. You said you were going to relax but goodness it looks like you have been very busy. Loved the mirror. What breed is that so cute puppy?
    Happy New Year. πŸŽ‰πŸŒˆ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  10. This year was a quieter holiday as we couldn’t have any family visit. We made the most of it though. I love the wall hanging with the penguin at the top. The lace holder makes a perfect hanger.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Twixmas passed us by nice and gently.... it is a nice time thoiugh it bugs me that I have no idea what day it is during that period! haha.... you did some lovely makes and had some lovely family time too....
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your fur babies look so relaxed and happy together Julie. Love the mirror you have created, hubby did well! Your new makes are beautiful, I like the sheep too 😁. The little Miss Moptop reminds me of a fushia flower. Your trip to Kinlock looks wonderful Julie, beautiful blue sky and the boys playing in the water, love the bright kite colour against the sky. So good to have family time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks likeyou had a loely twixmas time (part 1!) I love your new hanging and the mirror, to mention just two! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh it looks simply idyllic at the shore, it is freezing here and it tried very hard to snow today, but failed (thankfully) Your stitching is beautiful and I love the little moppet dolly. Everything you make is so gorgeous Julie!
    Have a great weekend,
    Jillxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy New Year to you to Julie, what a cute puppy for Sid to grow up with, your deer head mirror is so cute, and what a lovely spot for a holiday home, love all your makes, your moptop is adorable. Chris xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your place names with Scottish connections. Kinloch looks lovely and what blue skies you have!Spending time with the family seems like a luxury these days!Have a good weekend Julie.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy New Year Julie. It looks like you have been busy. I worked over that time but had the stats off and time to relax, although our weather has been a little grim here with 10deg on Christmas Day so a roasted dinner and the heater on.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Me Julie!! I am a bit late replying to this your as always gorgeous post. It's those Twixmas (I rather like this new word) days they make me lazy and distracted from my normal routine. Wonderful photos of your picnic lunch and the family. Darcy looks adorable...and I can quite imagine she is a bit of a minx! keep well Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear Julie, I have got behind with catching up with your blog. You are amazing and very talented with your abilities.It looks wonderful there at Kinloch. and you know it's not too far in distance from where we live is it? I must go for a trip while the weather is great and have a day there. Thank you for the prompt.Darcy looks adorable. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  20. I do like that term and the time itself! Funny how the putting away is less fun tha the getting out lol! You have made some lovely projects in your down time. Darcy is a cutie. How lovely to have time away with family xx

    ReplyDelete

Hello, & thank you for taking the time to comment on my posts - I read and appreciate each and every one of your comments :-)
I always prefer to reply to your comments by email unless you are a no-reply-blogger in which case I will reply to your comments in this section here. Thanks so much for stopping by to read & comment on my blog x0x