Sunday, May 30, 2021

Re-decorating the Spare Bedroom

 Greetings lovely friends & readers

Early last month I had a 3-day "window of opportunity" where I had nothing much planned (no Babysitting, Appointments or urgent Orders requiring attention) ... so I decided to empty out & paint my spare bedroom. 

I had two newly-acquired Decor items for my spare room & both were sitting still in their wrappings in the back of my Wardrobe.  I thought it was high time I got them out & put them in their rightful places.

I saw this Image on Instagram & it appealed to me 😊

I emptied the room out & gave the walls a thorough wash down - I planned to paint them the same colour (Cottage Cream) but they definately needed a scrub with sugar soap first. I gave them 2 coats & The Mr also gave the ceiling two coats - what a difference a fresh paint job makes to a room πŸ’—

The left hand pic is the smaller window & the right hand side the larger window

The first new item I had was a blind which I'd had made back in January to fit the larger window in my spare bedroom. The smaller window already had a blind in this fabric & I had cheap tatty old calico curtains at the bigger window. 


The second new item I had was this Stunningly Gorgeous Quilt which I had purchased from my dear friend Leeanne - also earlier this year.  I had watched her make this Low Volume Log Cabin Quilt using offcuts of Vintage Linens as she would send me sneaky pics as she completed different blocks ... & I had fallen in love with it.

I did not think for one moment she would ever sell it but she has opened A Felt Store & is selling lots of her handmade quilts now.  As well as her professional quilting business, she also enjoys making quilts to sell herself & is rather a whizz at it πŸ˜‰

Look how perfectly it fits on my King Single bed   ....  Oh Be Still My Beating Heart  πŸ’—πŸ’“


                  This heavy old Oak bed was rescued from my daughter in law who no longer had room for it.


It is honestly impossible to show this quilt up in its full glory as every single time I look at it - I see a new & different block.


Leeanne has also quilted it on her long arm machine, using one of her edge to edge designs - Moulin Rouge


I absolutely Adore my quilt πŸ’• Thank You Leeanne !!
You can find Leeanne Here on her blog Quiltmekiwi  ....  or  Here on Instagram  ....  or Here on Facebook


I also had another new-to-me item but this one was 2nd hand.  This mirror had been languishing in my sleep out for several years quite some time & I decided to paint it & use it in the room.

Unfortunately some of the decorative edging had become brittle & fallen off but I was able to find most of the pieces & glue them back on.  I filled any gaps with Polyfiller & then painted the mirror in Vintage White Chalk Paint.



When this was dry I masked off the frame & painted the decorative corner pieces in Pale Duck Egg.  I'm so pleased I did this as it just makes them stand out that little bit more.


The mirror fits perfectly above this native Rimu Bookcase (would you believe - rescued from an old cow shed at a farm we milked on once !!!) 


It is not a large room by any means but I have re-arranged the furniture & I prefer it like this now that I no longer need a cot in here for Sid.

A lamp on a small bedside table. (another upcycled project)

This wee Autumn Angel sits at the foot of the bed - I made her in this Post back in 2019
 
And I finally have somewhere to hang the Tilda bunting I made in this post back here πŸ’•


Thank You dear readers so much for your visits here today.
This is my wish for you in the coming week my friends,


With much love & friendship to you All,
Julie & the furry ones x0x0x0

31 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous room makeover, Julie! Everything looks divine. The beautiful quilt brimming with scrap fabrics and sweet linens is a treasure indeed. Aren't you the lucky one that Leeanne decided to sell this beauty. The mirror is a fabulous find and the decorative corners in the blue is inspired. Why, I don't think any guest who has the privilege of sleeping in this beautiful room will ever want to leave. My wish for you this week, my lovely friend, is that it is one filled with happy creative magic and beautiful moments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a very pretty, restful room :) the quilt really makes it all come together, it's beautiful and I like the way you restored the mirror.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WoW! What a fantastic post..that quilt top
    on the single bed is amazing..quite amazing,
    l remember those as a boy, they used to call
    them eiderdowns..cos they were filled from
    the down of an Eider duck..! Fore runners of
    the quilt! :).

    Tell you what l did like, is the writing desk..?
    In the corner next to the mirrored chest of draws,
    Very smart that..!

    And an Autumn angel to finish off with..Though
    there are two angels we must not forget..??
    HeHe! Are'nt l wicked..! :).
    😼 🐾🐾 😼 🐾🐾 😼 🐾🐾 😼 🐾🐾

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely post really enjoyed looking at it so pretty you made a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely post from the first! What a pretty room, you did a lovely job, it is comfy and welcoming.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You put such effort into everything, Julie, as did your friend with that astonishingly beautiful quilt, the work that's gone into it. Great outcome on the spareroom.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sooooooo cozy! I love all the creamy colors and pretty flowers! Very dainty and light! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely beautiful quilt! Lucky you that she sold it to you and not someone else. And your room,
    if only the one I will have to offer to our coming guest was so lovely. I actually wish I had a
    room that relaxing and comfy to just go into and shut the door any time of the year. But the wall painting work?
    Not meant for me anymore. I don't think I will ever try that job again. I like that the pillow top, window
    coverings and table skirt are all matching flowery fabric. Lynn and Precious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lynn ... yes I was lucky that she sold it to me as it is so beautiful. I am often tempted to go to my freshly redecorated room for a nap but there is usually a cat or two that has beaten me to it πŸ˜‰πŸ˜’ The curtains & the pillow & the table skirt are all a pretty Cath Kidston fabric that I was able to buy online & I really love it. xx

      Delete
  9. Wow Julie, You have such an eye for pulling everything together, that room is stunning and anyone luckily enough to rest in there is very lucky indeed. The wonderful and talented Leeanne has just quilted two vintage quilts for me. Her work has really brought them too life.
    My wish for you this week.....lots of sunshine, furry hugs & help from your number one helper :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Julie, your spare bedroom is just beautiful and that quilt is simply amazing. You just make things beautiful, everywhere! You have such a talent for decorating.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, what a sweet room! It would be a lovely place to rest from your cares. Leeanne's quilt is gorgeous and does a lovely job of setting the tone for the room. Your handiwork pulled everything together beautifully. I definitely like the effect of the mirror makeover.
    Makes me think I should redo our guest room. But maybe I will go play in my sewing room until the feeling passes. LOL
    Wishing you a lovely week of creative adventures, my clever friend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful make over Julie, wonderful quilt from Leeanne, she is a very clever bunny like you! The mirror looks amazing after it's makeover. A room to be enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a tastefully put together restful haven.....I think it would be a nice spot for you to have a nap in? I'm pleased you are happy with the quilt, it was so much fun to make. You have pulled the room together with lots of interesting pieces, I think if I was staying it would take a long time to get to sleep because I would be looking at all the pretty stuff! I love that sweatpants and coffee saying...perfect. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a delight it would be to spend a night in your spare room! Beautiful. xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely fabulous makeover and I am going to have another look in a moment as there is so much eye candy here! So much to revisit. Fabulous inspiration Julie! Imagine falling asleep in this wonderful room my dreams would be literally full of craft whispers. The quilt takes my breath away! "Oh! be still my beating heart" indeed! Take care Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tht is an exquisite quilt. I like the room makeover.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, just love everything about that room. You are so good at this, and that quilt is more than a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your room looks lovely .... very pretty.... do you sneak in there just for a look and a nap?
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a pretty room! Lovely and bright too. That quilt is utterly amazing!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your sweet comment Emma. xx

      Delete
  20. Wow, just so very pretty. The quilt is gorgeous as is the blind.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow you did a great job on your spare room Julie, what a gorgeous quilt and everything else in the room. Chris xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  22. How nice to redecorate and move things around a bit. I love the quilt, they always look so comforting and each piece used is always full of family history and charm. I'm just finishing re-doing our bedroom, just waiting on my curtain fabric to arrive, it will transform our bedroom. Jean x

    ReplyDelete
  23. It looks beautiful you have done a great job, I love all your little details and your personal touches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind comment. I am really happy with my spare room now & its lovely to just stand & look at the beautiful quilt. Have a wonderful weekend. xx

      Delete
  24. Very nice! I love the bed spread.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the blinds in your room and that quilt! Oh, it is beautiful. The room is gorgeous with all your decorating. I'd love to visit you one day an see it in person! Have a great weekend Julie. Hugs, Christine xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. how lovely the room is, i like it. thanks for the amazing post.
    cheap lace

    ReplyDelete

Hello, & thank you for taking the time to comment on my posts - I read and appreciate each and every one of your comments :-)
I always prefer to reply to your comments by email unless you are a no-reply-blogger in which case I will reply to your comments in this section here. Thanks so much for stopping by to read & comment on my blog x0x