Monday, October 23, 2023

A Trike-Trailer, A Drawer, & Dishcloth Knitting

Greetings lovely friends & readers

Those that know me well, know my absolute LoVe of old vintage trikes ... I have four of them in varying states of disrepair.


 This one above is still looking pretty with the last of the pansies blooming, but these will sucumb to mildew soon as it's getting warmer here.


This trike above left is probably my "best one" as far as condition goes.  It has always stayed up on my covered deck so doesn't get the weather & the Grandkids have ridden it frequently so I keep it oiled & running smoothly.  
The trike trailer was purchased from the SPCA Op Shop ($12) late last year.  I had been asking The Mr to weld a loop to my trike so I could hook the trailer through it  .................... but I was still waiting ....................

During my deck clean-up in my last post I found an old wire hook & managed to find a gap under the trike tray that I could screw this into quite securely.  I was delighted 😊 - I gave the trike & the trailer a good scrub as they were both looking green after the winter.


As I knew I wanted to sit potted flowers in them, I lined each tray with an offcut of oilcloth to help prevent the wet pots sitting against the surfaces & rusting.  

I planted some mixed colour petunias into six terracotta pots I already had - 3 for each tray.

How happy this little set makes me every time I look at it.   And if the Grandsons want to ride around on it still, then it's simple to lift the pots out & away pedalling they can go  ............



This old drawer was found at Mum's Hospice Shop at the same time I bought the Pansy Planter Box.   I thought it might make a handy addition to my craft room.  It had originally been bolted to a desk so I removed the old hardware from the back.  It was actually formica but I thought it should chalk paint up okay.

You can see I removed the handle & painted right over it the same colour.

I gave it 2 coats of chalk paint in the colour Vintage White.  It went on really grainy - to be honest I think this was more the paint than anything wrong with the surface of the formica.  I tried thinning my paint out but it still went on like this.  I very lightly sanded the roughness out afterwards but still wasn't happy with it.

The drawer had a chunk out of one corner but I was able to fill this with some polyfiller.  I came across a large sheet of decoupage tissue that I'd been gifted last Christmas & decided to use this over my paint.  This was my first time using this tissue & it went on really well using mod-podge.  Once dry I coated it again with mod-podge as I find this seals everything & makes it wipeable.


The sheet was large enough that I did the top, the drawer front & also managed to line the drawer base. 

I tied a Tilda swing tag to the handle & soon filled it with crafty bits & bobs.  I was really pleased with the finished result after being not so happy with it originally.



And it fits in just perfectly on my sewing bench 💙


The last time I delivered an Order of Potpourri to Brandy's Botanicals Deb asked me if she could try some of my knitted cotton dishcloths to sell.  I was more than happy to oblige as I just love knitting these up - 
here is the free pattern I use.
I decided I needed to come up with a nice packaging method that was not too overly fancy but presented them nicely. I tied a brown paper belly band around them & then made up some swing tags that I printed off onto brown paper & cut out.  

I was pleased with the simple but effective way they looked.  I had enough cotton in my yarn stash that I was able to knit 10 different ones to send down to Deb.

  This way people can pick them up & feel the softness of them but also Deb can package them up with a soap easily enough if she so wishes.


Last month Alec had his first ever Grandparents Day at his country school - they have been cancelled in recent years due to various Lockdowns.  He dressed up as a Wizard & I dressed up as a Granny 😉 (!!!)

(I promise to have a proper cat update in my next post - Little One is fine & dandy & No - they are still not getting along)


Thank you so much as always dear friends, for your visits here today,

With much love & friendship to you all,

Julie & the furry three x0x0x0

24 comments:

  1. How wonderful to be able to have the space for your trike collection, Julie, and I love how you have planted them :)
    That drawer looks so wonderful the way you have transformed it - a great find, and it 'fits' your sewing desk beautifully
    Those dish cloths look so pretty bundled up like that - well done on some innovative packaging, and thanks for the link to the pattern.
    I think I would also have been dressed up as a Granny :) I have a Grandparents day coming up - last one for the local family... an era will be over at the end of the year with one in Intermediate and one in High School.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your trikes - great for planting up, especially the trailer. The washcloths look great - they should sell well. Love the drawer too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another lovely post , your trike looks just wonderful.
    I love every thing you do , your the magic lady .
    Love the wash cloths and thanks for the chart I lost my one.
    Hugs June.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way you give things a new lease of life and make them look lovely as well! It looks like you both enjoyed Grandparents Day. It's good to hear Little One is doing well, even if they aren't all getting on together.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! Wow! Julie! Love those trikes, especially the top one
    with my most favourite flowers in...Pansies...! :).
    You should start an annual trike rally...people could come
    from miles around and show off their trikes...! With or
    without flowers....Be great fun..! :).

    And what you've done to the draws is amazing, even
    lined the inside, they look great!
    And, matches well with the paper stand, on top...!
    Well done you...! :).

    And..The knitted dishcloths look lovely to, very colourful.
    I still have the two my daughter knitted for me last year,
    still pinned up in the kitchen, unused, think there to nice
    to use...Nice and brightly coloured anyway...!

    Grandparents Day...We don't have that over here, or at
    least, l don't think so...sounds a good idea, though, l
    think the Grandparents should be on a 'lead'..HeHe! :)
    Do they parade the Grandparents one by one, and then
    pick a winner...HaHa! How strange...! :O)..
    I see Alec has his thumb up....Does that mean you won..!

    Must get on..once l send this post off to my daughter, as
    she likes to read and look through it...then l must get out
    front, and trim my Virginia Creeper...though the leaves are
    starting to turn...at least the suns out, though a bit chilly...! :O).

    Look forward to a 'Furry Ones Update' next time.....Bless!xxx
    🌱💛🌱💛🌱💛🌱💛🌱💛🌱💛🌱💛🌱💛🌱💛🌱💛

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's something to delight the eye at every turn in your house, Julie. You make everything look better - that's a real gift. The photograph of you and Alec is delightful. He looks a very smart wizard:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You could be a millionaire if you would publish a book with all your craft projects! Just seeing hundreds of finished product photos would make it sell. I always look for craft books at the library even if I do nothing about the patterns, lol. I just cut off my red begonias and I covered my deep burgundy coleus with a queen size sheet last night. It is 28 so we have a killing freeze today. It is to be 73 tomorrow! I had to save it as it is so huge the sheet almost did not cover it all. I really enjoy seeing your plants in the trike cart. Makes me think on biking, lol. Alec looked great and you do not look old enough to be a grand anyone! Enjoy Spring/Summer. Lynn and Precious PS we leave in minutes for Dr. Feelbad's office.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How lovely x I must sort out a winter project x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your lovely comment Mrs Nesbitt. Yes you are going in to winter time as we approach the summer months here. xx

      Delete
  9. Such lovely crafty ideas and you've given me ideas for our old wheel barrow.. I read back about your mum, such a lovely post. Made me quite emotional reading it,.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your sweet comment Chris. xx

      Delete
  10. Oh Julie, how naturally creative and clever you are! I simply love the trike, the drawer, and your granny costume! (🤣)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Magníficos reciclados y bonitos paños tejidos, las etiquetas quedan muy bien. BESICOS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From google translate .... Magnificent recycled and beautiful woven cloths, the labels look great. KISSES.

      Delete
  12. Always so very clever with your fixing up things... that drawer is totally different and I love the use of the tricycles....your washcloths look great wrapped up like that... it does make such a difference when something is wrapped nicely...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the tricycles wonderful way to use them. I'd like to do similar with my old tricycle but it doesn't really have anywhere to put pots on. The drawer looks wonderful. Love the wrapped dishcloths, a great idea. Lovely photo of you both.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Julie, you are the most talented lady!! The tricycle pulling little trailers filled with potted flowers is the custest thing! And, the make over of the drawer is amazing, it's beautiful now. Of course, I think your washcloths ar the prettiest I've ever seen. Your grandma outfit was just perfect. You look beautiful. Love, Henny

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well done on fixing the trailer to the trike, it looks fantastic. You are so clever with the changes you make to things. The cabinet looks amazing too. Great to attend grandparents day, you do not look old enough to be a grandie! That is a great way to wrap the cloths for sale, very pretty. You have inspired me to go and do something with my old bike - maybe some flowers on the front basket!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great use for your vintage bikes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your little trikes Julie, they look so cute, yes your dish cloths are fabulous, might have a go at knitting one some day, Alec looks wonderful as a wizard, maybe we should call him Harry. The little drawer is adorable for your craft room.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your enthusiasm for your projects Julie. I'm knitting winter hats here!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Julie, you always have such lovely projects. I adore the tricycle and trailer.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aaww Julie that is lovely, tricycles updated, drawers given another lease of life and a fantastic bundle of dishcloths ,love them. They will get snapped up fast. You look pretty good as a Granny. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm writing from Ohio, Columbus precisely. I was diagnosed with brain cancer in August of 2010 and my wife breast cancer, A precious friend (African American) told me about Dr Jekawo A traditional herbal doctor in West Africa,She gave me his contact number and email address,I contacted him quickly so he give me guaranty that his herbal medicine will cure my brain cancer,my wife breast cancer and herpes completely that we will be heal forever I said Okay.I ask him about the process for the cure,he ask me to pay for the herbal medicines preparation which i did and within 7 working days he sent me the herbal medicine then he instructed me on how to drink it for 21 days to cure.I told Eric my friend about the herbal medicine so he gave me go ahead to drink it.So after I and my wife drinking for 21 days we were cured completely, I'm so grateful and i promise i will recommend anyone with herpes or cancer to reach this great herbal doctor and that what i'm doing.
    Dr Jekawo told me he can cure the following disease.Cancer,Hiv/Aids,Herpes,Diabetes,Parkison,Copd,Hepatitis.. Here Is His Contact Info......[drjekawo@gmail.com] thank you so much for this great opportunity.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, & thank you for taking the time to comment on my posts - I read and appreciate each and every one of your comments :-)
I always prefer to reply to your comments by email unless you are a no-reply-blogger in which case I will reply to your comments in this section here. Thanks so much for stopping by to read & comment on my blog x0x