Saturday, October 28, 2023

Craft Group Challenges, Book Characters & A Little One Update

Greetings lovely friends & readers

Yesterday I picked a beautiful bunch of lilacs from my tree - this is only the 2nd year it has flowered but last year was not enough to actually pick any.

Their fragrance is gentle & soft ... I have sat a framed photo of Mum underneath as she would be smiling I am sure.


Throughout the year my friend Gail & I like to think up random "challenges" for the ladies in our craft group.  When I hosted the ladies back in July I had saved & washed up a load of cat food tins. 

  We go through 2 or 3 of these a day so it doesn't take long to get a good supply.  I'd removed their labels & any stickiness left behind & I held the bag out & told the ladies it was a Lucky Dip - they could take 1,2 or 3 ... or however many they wanted ... & they had to create something with them!
(I should add that these challenges are entirely optional to take part in)


I chose 3 tins for myself & then found this old broken table leg in my stash that I knew would-come-in-handy-one-day.  I cut it down to size & then painted the tins & the spindle. Then I hot glued the tins to my spindle as I wanted to make A Sewing Caddy.

Click on the picture to enlarge for a closer look

I mod-podged some paper serviettes to my tins & spindle to embellish them - I'd originally planned to use transfers but paper serviettes are a lot more cost effective.  Then I mod-podged the whole thing to seal it.
(I've forgotten to photograph it step by step hence I am explaining what I did)

Tin 1 : I drew a cardboard circle, padded it, covered it with fabric & glued in - this was to hold my quilting clips.
Tin 2 : I cut some floral foam to fit & then cut a slit in the middle & covered the entire thing with fabric - this was to be a scissor holder.
Tin 3 : I made into a pincushion using a gathered circle of fabric & some wadding, all glued in.
I made a little stitched tag to attach to the handle along with a scissor charm & then I filled my tins with their various bits & bobs.

Such a sweet, fun project & would make a gorgeous gift for a crafty person πŸ’—

I loved what Sharlaine had done ... she had taken a thrifted wooden goblet, turned it upside down, glued her catfood tin onto it & then painted the whole thing & added some transfers.  It was so lovely & would be wonderful with a small candle or tealight in it πŸ’œ


Maureen had cut hers into the shape of a sunflower, painted it & attached it to a thin dowel, then sprinkled glue + glitter to the centre.  This would look great poking into a potted plant πŸ’›

Liz had been thinking of her grandchildren when she created hers & had knitted tiny peas with black eyes as well as worms with tiny felt hats on, then made the cans into houses for them, including using the lids off the tins.
These had been such a hit that Liz asked me for some more cans as other family members had ordered some from her - I was happy to oblige. 


- Before -                                  - During -                                        - After -                

A tiny bud vase picked up from the Op-Shop for $1.50 - given the tomato sauce treatment last week.  I originally thought it was brass but I think under all the grime & discolouration it was more silver. 


Sids school recently held a Book Week.  To celebrate the children got to choose a Book Character & then dress up as that character.  Sid chose Marmaduke Duck from the book above.
Posing at Home                           At school with the telescope his Dad made him
His Mum did an amazing job of creating his costume using alot of what Sid already had (orange shorts, socks etc). My contribution was the hot glue gun, some white feathers & the wooden spoon tucked into his belt.  Sid was delighted to win the competition for his classroom & won a book voucher.

Many of you have asked after Little One & I have not updated you for awhile.  He is doing well & is living his best life πŸ˜‰ No Pippi & Blackie have still not accepted that he is here to stay - Pippi is the worst & still hisses & chases him at every opportunity - Blackie not so much.  It is certainly easier now he can go outside during the day & we only have to keep them apart in the evenings when they all come in for the night.

He is still kitten-ish in that he wants everything you touch & frequently runs off with my crafty bits.  He must be happy enough though because I have never known a cat to purr so much !!  In my naive way, I still live in hope that they will one day get along but who knows?!  When I do my big monthly grocery shop & buy cat food, the girl on the check-out always asks me ... How many cats do you have??? I usually say 4 as I include Fluffy at the farm πŸ˜‰

Thankyou as always dear friends, for your visits here today,
Wishing you all a wonderful weekend - remember to be kind to yourselves & to each other,
With much love & friendship to you all,
Julie & the furry three x0x0x

21 comments:

  1. Congratulations Sid! Lovely pics of Little One. Your craft group are very inventive! What great ideas they had and I love your sewing caddy. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas for the craft group, love what you designed , Sid looks great in his outfit .
    Have a lovely Sunday , hugs June .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your sewing caddy is so pretty and all the other creations are just lovely. Sid looks wonderful and thoroughly deserved his prize. What prize did his mum get? It's lovely to see photos of Little One - what a pretty cat he is. Our clocks go back tomorrow so earlier, darker mornings are in store. Have a lovely weekend, Julie. Take care x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Julie, you and the ladies have done really well, with
    all your clever ideas for those pussy~cat tins.....
    Hope your not force feeding the furry ones to keep up with
    demand...HeHe! Bless! :)

    And that little bit of a silver vase looks nice...Have you checked
    for 'hall marks'...you never know, it could well be silver...!

    And Sid really looks the part, web feet, beak and all...and winning
    a book voucher to boot...Great! :).

    And..The furry ones...Well..Bless!xxx
    They'll all come round at some time Julie...And just think if you
    got another...you'd be able to keep up with the cat tins, you'll
    require...HeHe! Only joking...! :). Tummy rubs for one and all....! :O).
    😼 🐾🐾 😼 🐾🐾 😼 🐾🐾 😼 🐾🐾 😼 🐾🐾 😼 🐾🐾

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what creative ideas for the cat food tins - so clever! Well done to Sid (and his Mum) for a great costume. I love the photos of Little One - when you consider the alternative life he might have had, he was so lucky to have been adopted by you (even if Pippi vents her frustration at the interloper!).
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, if I would have had a boy who wanted to dress like the Duck, I am not sure I would have know where to start! He looks great and his mum and you deserved any reward he won! Maybe chocolate, lol. I no longer use canned food for Precious. Before that was all Seney ever ate, and I can tell you, I only was creative enough to recycle the metal. But now I love these clever treasures you all made. I'll have to stick to the peat pots instead and only because you showed how to do those. Glad to hear Fluffy runs the farm barn still. And Little One looks to be a live wire. No wonder Miss Pip puts up with no nonsense out of him. My lilac is now got yellow leaves and 1/2 my big trees are bare and the green grass is knee deep in ones to rake. Lynn and Precious XX

    ReplyDelete
  7. Preciosas latas y bonitas lilas, el disfraz es muy gracioso. BESICOS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. from Google translate ..... Beautiful cans and pretty lilacs, the costume is very funny. KISSES.

      Delete
  8. Your craft group is very clever. I loved all their ideas for the cat food tins. Sid's costume was great! I can see why he won the contest.

    ReplyDelete
  9. well done to the group for all those wonderful ideas with the empty tins..... I would not know where to start to be honest... Great costume for Sid.....
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  10. What wonderful crafty ladies who 'picked up' on the challenge and made some amazing 'out of the box' items from the tins!!
    Sid looks amazing as a pirate - well done on a team effort to dress him :)
    Be patient - Little One will find his place in the pecking order - we still have constant battles here between the two boys, with the young one often the instigator, but my (older) boy is not being so gentle with him now he is older... it's hilarious watching them., and I don't know how much is just rough housing and how much is serious fighting...
    Your lilacs are beautiful - I had them in one house I owned, but ended up having to remove them as they were so invasive, and not happy to stay where they were planted!
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  11. Who knew that cat food cans could look so great? Hope the cats learn to be friends.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How do you come up with these ideas? I'd be looking at those empty tins for weeks & probably chuck them in the recycling bin! Clever creations all of them. Sid does look fabulous no wonder he won. My grandkids get involved with book week too and come up with some great ideas. I guess a monthly shop of cat food sure must look like you have 50 cats! Hugs from the north my friend x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just have to say how clever and imaginative you are. Really love what everyone did with the cat tins. I also have to say I really enjoy reading your blog, seeing what creative things you are doing and also how the cats are getting along. Thank you so much. Dennise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dennise - thank you so much for taking the time to leave me your sweet kind comment. Much appreciated xx

      Delete
  14. What extremely clever and artistic people in your craft group. Little one looks very contented and happy.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, the lilacs with the photo of your Mum really touched me. My Mom loved lilacs, too.
    You and your craft group are such a clever bunch. I marvel at what you all created with cat food tins!
    The tomato sauce treatment worked magic on that vase! Wow!
    Sid's Mum did do an amazing job! So creative--and so fun that he won a prize!
    Little One looks like he keeps you on your toes. And he keeps me smiling!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I love lilacs, they are beautiful Julie, all the crafty creations you and the other ladies did are wonderful, well done Sid. Well it is getting better with the cats a little, at least Blackie doesn't hiss at poor little one anymore, gee I think it needs a different name now, doesn't look so little anymore :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful lilac flowers Julie. My goodness you crafty ladies are crafty, love your sewing caddy and the other ladies have been so clever. The black eyed peas and tin of worms are very clever! Congratulations to Sid, that is a great costume. I hope the furry ones settle together Julie, I have my fingers crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What you made with the cat food cans is brilliant! So cute! Oh! Little One is adorable! Such a cute book costume, too! Yes, your mama would love your lilacs! Sending love to you, sweet Julie!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the Black Eye Peas creation! what a fun idea the art challenge was and such different results :) Good to know Little One is hanging in there.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, & thank you for taking the time to comment on my posts - I read and appreciate each and every one of your comments :-)
I always prefer to reply to your comments by email unless you are a no-reply-blogger in which case I will reply to your comments in this section here. Thanks so much for stopping by to read & comment on my blog x0x