Friday, October 13, 2023

Three Things I do each Springtime

Greetings lovely friends & readers

Longtime readers of my blog will know there are three things I like to do each Spring to help to refresh my home & outdoor area. 

The last of the spring freesia's picked this morning & displayed in Mum's crystal vase

 Thing One :
Each Spring I like to treat myself to a fresh new length of Oilcloth for my dining table.  This table is a workhorse & gets a great deal of use so I really enjoy refreshing it each year.  This gorgeous 1.5 metre length was purchased online from this wonderful store.  I've always been partial to paisley designs & this really caught my eye.

I especially loved the Lineny look & feel of it, even though it is fully wipeable.

A gorgeous new variety of Gerbera gifted to me from my friend Sharlaine ... sitting on a thrifted silver tray.

Thing Two :

Every spring I give my old wrought iron table & chair set another coat of paint.  The colour is Hot Chilli & I just use the Resene testpots for this - I had some left over from last spring. This set is so old now that The Mr tells me the only thing holding it all together is the paint I keep applying to it. 

They are sitting up on my deck at present as everything on the lawn is covered in a fine confetti of blossom flowers that are floating everywhere with the winds we are getting.


Thing Three :

I always give my large wooden outdoor table a good scrub with sugar soap.  During the winter months I keep an eye on Spotlight & when their Hessian comes on sale I buy a 2 metre length of it to refresh my table.  This year it was $3 a metre on sale so the length only cost me $6.  

I like to overlock the ends to stop fraying & I also gave it an iron as it was creased.  No sooner had I gone to get my plants to display on it, than a certain ginger furry being decided it looked rather nice & comfy & plonked her derrier down on it 😐  Usually she sashays down it like a runway - being the Princess that she is !!!


I have some potted red petunias in my vintage scales & in the old cooking pot I have planted white petunias.  I didn't plan on a Ginger Cat featuring in my display but it appears that this may be non-negotiable !! 🐱 



The pansies in my black planter box had gone mildewy so I replaced them with some red & white Impatiens ... every single thing got a good scrub & a clean & a de-cobweb.


I don't particularly enjoy this job but things get really manky during winter & if you want to have all these derelict vintage treasures around then I feel you need to actually care for them.  Otherwise it all ends up resembling Steptoe's Yard. 

My friend Jane had given me this sweet daisy wall pot so I drilled some holes in the base & planted it with some miniature viola's.  So simple & lovely 💜



The 5 red tulip bulbs I planted in Mum's old pedestal pot are flowering & looking so vibrant.

This lily bulb has come up & although the flower looks brown in my photo it is actually quite black & reminds me of velvet.  I have no idea who gave me this or when I planted it here.



It has been school holidays here in New Zealand & I have had the Grandsons on various days.  Sid's Mum asked me to drop him home a bit earlier last week as he was going for a haircut.  This is the photo I got sent later that day.  This is very "out there" for Sid who is usually such a reserved little boy.  It did make me smile.

I want to thank you all from the bottom of my heart for your comments on my Eulogy Post last week for my Mum.  I did hesitate when I went to hit Publish but I write this blog as a record for myself & my Grandchildren who may read it all one day & I felt it was important to include it.  Your comments just warmed my sad heart so very much - you are all so kind & thoughtful. 🖤
Wishing you all a wonderful weekend dear friends - we are due some rain here in rural Waikato so it might be a sewing weekend.
With much love & friendship to you all,
Julie & the furry three x0x0x0

23 comments:

  1. Hi Julie, how lovely everything looks when scrubbed up! Your new oilcloth is very pretty, I make mine last about 5 years lol! but don't get the heavy use that you do - so no excuse for me to replace mine yet, but I would choose yours, its lovely. It's a nice idea to have the viola pot mounted at eye level, they are such dainty little flowers so can be appreciated more easily. The hessian is nice and the iron table and chairs, well worth holding on to - they look good as new. Sid looks good with the haircut, my sons have theirs cut so short they look like they are joininig the army! it's trendy to have these graduated cuts here - bald at the bottom, short on top! and a very well groomed and preened beard! Betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie you always inspire me , with your talent .
    We also have a big clean each Spring but at the moment we are packing things away for Autumn and soon to be Winter .
    Your Spring renewing is looking wonderful. Plants are also looking so good.
    Your grandsons haircut looks very trendy .
    Enjoy your Spring sweet friend , hugs June,

    ReplyDelete
  3. So nice to refresh everything after the winter and garden stuff does get especially grubby. Temperatures here have been very mild for the time of year and I keep watching the forecast because there is bound to be a frost sometime soon which will mean moving my summer pots into the greenhouse. However, I am itching to plant bulbs for the spring in some of the pots so it is not all bad. Your tablecloth does look lovely and all your spring planting. Enjoy. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It all looks so fresh and inviting. It's lovely to be going into spring with all its promise.
    Convict haircuts seem to be very popular at the moment;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! Julie..you remember Steptoe's Yard....The first episode
    was in June 1962...Goodness! :).

    Everything is looking lovely and bright as usual....Especially the
    plants...and you've been busy with the garden furniture,,,love the
    table and two chairs...! And, l always smile when l see the mangle,
    l remember l was in my early teens before l could turn the handle,
    what an achievement that was...! :).

    Oh! And l like Sid's 'hair do' HeHe! Surprising what you can do with
    left over 'gravy'...He looks good and very modern of course...! :).
    And, seems as though Miss Pippi is not to happy about the scales
    etc...being in her way...Bless!x
    🍁🍂🍃🍁🍂🍃🍁 🍂🍃🍁🍂🍃🍁 🍂🍃🍁🍂🍃🍁 🍂🍃🍁

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your spring refresh has made everything look so nice and inviting. The flowers are so lovely. Here we're going into the middle of autumn and leaves are falling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julie, you are certainly busy cleaning up for Spring. I am cleaning down, lol, for Fall. You have blossoms snowing and I have brown and grey leaves. We have had it so dry for the past 2 months, the trees are not turning pretty. My maple simply turned grey and dropped. The oaks are still green. I like the pink and white oil cloth. Very spring-like. And wow, Sid did pick a crazy mod hair style. I see my tween neighbor boy go for the same do in summer. It always makes me smile. I will feed Precious and try the calm treat but no sedative from the doctor. I think I need it as much as she! So glad to see your cheerful post. Your mum would be proud. Lynn and Precious XX PS, 3 kitties, Precious says purrs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. He disfrutado mucho leyéndote y con tus maravillosas fotos. BESICOS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. translate .... " I have really enjoyed reading you and your wonderful photos. KISSES. "

      Delete
  9. All your Spring flourishes are beautiful. I am sure the Ginger Quality Control Officer was HELPFUL lol! It's very dry here and the Garden is suffering. The fressias look so pretty in your Mums vase.
    Gosh Sid is growing up so quickly....spiffy new hair cut. Take care Julie, thinking of you ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  10. kiwimeskreations has left a new comment on your post "Three Things I do each Springtime":

    What a great start to spring that you give your house and vintage treasures, Julie. I do love your ginger furry, and she makes a worthy addition to your table, although not as old as the other features - she is much more orange than my ginger boy - he's more caramel.
    We are also due for a wet weekend this weekend in the South Waikato, but I have an embroidery workshop to attend tomorrow, so it won't worry me :)
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely freshening up for spring.... that new oilcloth is so pretty. Send some rain here - so very dry.... That black lily is unusual isn't it.... quite striking....

    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful post Julie, that reminds me I had better get out and clean out the cobwebs around the windows. Love how the Ginger Miss puts herself on anything new! Great new table cloth and runner. The flowering plants look wonderful too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a huge job sugar soaping your decking Julie but it sure comes up fantastic and fresh. Love the oilcloth on the table and seriously am thinking I may need to get some for our table.Madam Pippy hogging the camera as usual I see, guess if she didn't we would worry what's wrong.We love seeing your furry friends. The spring flowers are beautiful.What a wonderful haircut for Sid.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have been really busy - everything looks wonderful. I think a ginger cat would enhance any display (I miss my lovely Ginny but she always managed to photo bomb me too!) Sid looks very happy with his new look!
    Have a lovely week
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  15. A Springtime refresh is a good tonic for the soul. As always you inspire with all your hard work and creative ideas. Thank you Julie.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sid looks cool! Spring cleaning....always feels like a chore, but doesn't it look great! The sun is out here...maybe it will sprinkle down to you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. So jealous that you're going into Springtime. First frost due here tonight. My little villas will never survive!Great post Julie. Everything looks grest!xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I always love the different oil cloths you manage to find for your table. We will be getting our first major frost here in the next couple of days. That wrought iron table and chairs is so eye catching.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh I love your garden and deck so much Julie, the oil cloth looks lovely on your table , and the hessian runner with the runway model, all looking fresh for the Spring/Summer. Sid looks wonderful with his new do, suits him well, nice to see you back Julie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. I loved all the stories of your Spring rituals--the oilcloth, the paint job, the scrubbing and table runner. Your Ginger Princess is her usual entitled self. :)
    Sid looks very cute. I love that happy smile!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm writing from Ohio, Columbus precisely. I was diagnosed with brain cancer in August of 2010 and my wife breast cancer, A precious friend (African American) told me about Dr Jekawo A traditional herbal doctor in West Africa,She gave me his contact number and email address,I contacted him quickly so he give me guaranty that his herbal medicine will cure my brain cancer,my wife breast cancer and herpes completely that we will be heal forever I said Okay.I ask him about the process for the cure,he ask me to pay for the herbal medicines preparation which i did and within 7 working days he sent me the herbal medicine then he instructed me on how to drink it for 21 days to cure.I told Eric my friend about the herbal medicine so he gave me go ahead to drink it.So after I and my wife drinking for 21 days we were cured completely, I'm so grateful and i promise i will recommend anyone with herpes or cancer to reach this great herbal doctor and that what i'm doing.
    Dr Jekawo told me he can cure the following disease.Cancer,Hiv/Aids,Herpes,Diabetes,Parkison,Copd,Hepatitis.. Here Is His Contact Info......[drjekawo@gmail.com] thank you so much for this great opportunity.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, & thank you for taking the time to comment on my posts - I read and appreciate each and every one of your comments :-)
I always prefer to reply to your comments by email unless you are a no-reply-blogger in which case I will reply to your comments in this section here. Thanks so much for stopping by to read & comment on my blog x0x